Graded ASEs?

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by shimps1, Jul 6, 2021.

1. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

As long as you like the coin, pay less money, and settle for "ALMOST;" who can argue with a decision that makes you happy. ;)

baseball21 and Randy Abercrombie like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

thats exactly my point, you are going to
    pay way more for virtually the same thing
    and sense we’re talking bullion here there
    no reason to pay more.

4. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

5. Insider

6. slackaction1

slackaction1 Supporter! Supporter

You can lead a horse to water..but

baseball21 likes this.
  7. UncleScroge

UncleScroge Well-Known Member

I'm guessing Mike Mezack, ShopCsnTv.

masterswimmer likes this.
  8. masterswimmer

masterswimmer A Caretaker, can't take it with me

Yeaaaah, Mike 'The Mouth' Mezack. Definitely plausible.

9. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

I wanted a set of Silver Eagles raw. Others want a set of graded ones. There is no reason to tell others not to collect what they want to.

fretboard and Jeffjay like this.
  10. Jeffjay

Jeffjay Well-Known Member

I agree. It's like people telling me that I shouldn't enjoy collecting a holed typeset. Some act like I'm spending their money when I talk about it.

11. mpcusa

No one is telling anybody what to collect
    but spending more money for virtually
    the same thing especially when it comes
    to bullion, it’s your money…LOL

12. Jim Dale

Jim Dale Well-Known Member

I only have 4 graded ASE's. Three are Proof PF70 UC and one is a bullion ASE graded MS70. I can't remember where I bought them, but I do like them. I try to buy each ASE Proof West Point, San Francisco, as well as the ASE W Uncirculated. I didn't start my collection until 2008. When my father died, I got 3 RAW Bullion coins and a RAW 2008 ASE. That was the year before my father passed. I really missed on the 2019 ASE S Reverse Proof, but when it was being sold on TV, they were selling them for hundreds of dollars. I like the USM ASE's because of the way they package them. I have the 2021 W ASE Proof Type 2 on my enrollment. I've gotten several emails from USM telling me to make sure all of my information is correct. I have 3 in my enrollment. I hope I get them.
    I started coin collecting after I finally received my father's coin collection. I had to wait until my mother passed before I got them. There were few coins worth much.
    After I got them, I was watching "sweet" Mike on some Shopping Network. He was selling 1921 Morgans, 10 for $500. I was a sucker for his sales pitch. Much later, I was watching Rick on his show and he was selling some ASE that was supposed to be important to my collection. Again, I got suckered in. He, too, has an aggressive sales pitch. I have bought some Pennies, Nickels, Dimes, and Quarters from Mount Vernon. I found that his coins were in nice shape and the prices reasonable.
    I have a friend that I've known since 1969. His neighbor died and his wife was selling Walking Halves and Franklin Halves. I looked at them and bought them at about $10 each.
    Anyway, I am not collecting coins to make money or put them in my retirement fund. My wife and I already have retired from State jobs and are getting Social Security, and 3 very nice annuities. We own 2 houses and 4 cars. We also have 6 dogs (A Rottweiler mix, a Pit Bull Mix, a Wire Terrier Mix, An Australian Shepherd, and 2 Cheweenies) and a 3 year old cat. We live in our house in the country, down a dirt road. Four of the dogs were left as puppies on our dirt road and the sneak up to the house and my wife fed them and they found a home. Our cat came as a kitten the same way.
    The reason I have written this is to let you know that you need to work with your wife and keep her informed of your spending because it could get out of hand. I doubt that any of you will be able to get rich and independently wealth with your coin collection. I have one friend that is a coin collector but he only collects from his pocket change and getting rolls of coins from the bank to look through.
    Please take care with your collecting. You may find your purchases could put you in the poor house. Best of luck to all.

Heavymetal likes this.
  13. baseball21

14. Insider

:rolleyes: What do you think a collector would pick out of these wo VIRTUALLY identical bullion coins...

A. Your raw SE that you tell him is an MS-70 or. wait for it...
    B. Your SE graded MS-70 by PCGS.

As you wrote, its his money he is spending.

IMO, most would pick the slab. Therefore, the slab will be easier to sell in the future because it is more desirable. That may be just one reason folks get their bullion coins graded.

15. mpcusa

it’s a bullion coin, worth the same, even
    run over by a train..LOL

fretboard likes this.
  16. baseball21

:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

Pathetic how some people never learn

Insider likes this.
  17. Buy proofs in PR-69 with no spots ,toning or other distractions and you just might do ok long term.

18. Gam3rBlake

Gam3rBlake Well-Known Member

I just bought a few 2020 & 2021 T1&2 non-graded bullion pieces.

If I take care of them they should remain in MS69-70 condition.

So if prices for them go up I can always send them in later and get the grade without paying a fortune up front.

You could get a few non graded ASEs of the same type for the price of one MS69 graded one. I guarantee at least one of the bullion ones would grade 69.

19. mpcusa

Whats wrong with a B/U coin, do you really want to spend the extra money ?
    sending them in on a maybe..LOL

20. Gam3rBlake

Gam3rBlake Well-Known Member

I said I bought bullion pieces.

21. slackaction1

slackaction1 Supporter! Supporter

Thinking on what you said Mpcusa would you rather purchase a slabbed ASE 70 or a ASE ran over by a train.. their not same value AFTER, wont weigh out the same, damaged goods, looks horrible unreconizable. I have done it over and over with a few coins several times trying to smash them into one another while switching 143 ton per cars in the yards at Quincy Ill. slabbed is worth more in this situation.. Dont try this though, it very dangerous, Stupid, defacing Gov. property and trespassing so on..

Draft saved Draft deleted