Graded ASEs?

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by shimps1, Jul 6, 2021.

1. terky

terky Active Member

I was rather shocked to be honest. I did not check the other 2 tubes, I guess I will though, hadn't looked at them for years, I did notice the bottom coin in the tube is heavily toned in rainbow colors only on the reverse. I am now wondering if I got some liquid like a coke or such on the coin and it has spread its chemical footprint throughout the tube. It may just be this tube?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

I’m not a fan of graded ASEs. I’m making an exception for this year’s reverse switch. Watch your prices!

4. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Nothing. There is a market for it and it's very popular. Some posters just say things to say things. Everyone can like what they like but the market is the market

Cheech9712, mikenoodle and COOPER12 like this.
  5. terky

terky Active Member

All good, 2 of the eagles appear to have toned by some chemical reaction and I suspect a liquid got on the 2, the rest are fine.

6. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

silver is at a high level, but it’s anybody’s
    guess if it’s the new normal are just a spike
    only time will tell.

7. COOPER12

COOPER12 Well-Known Member

I collect graded ones in the burnished . Some proofs and would like some reverse proofs , also have a few clashed ones . I would not buy 70s personally due to the cost but that’s me. I am happy with 69s

Cheech9712 likes this.
  8. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

I’ll give you that. There is a market for NASCAR collector plates. There is a market for Matchbox cars. Flip phones were all the rage once…. There is a market for most anything if you can target the buyers….. I purchase a fair amount of ASE’s and I have seen people take a bath reselling graded bullion coins. If NASCAR collector plates or graded bullion floats your boat, that is a great thing. Enjoy what you enjoy and don’t listen to anyone else. If you view graded bullion as a potential cash cow, I am afraid you may be disappointed.

9. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

What it means is that up to several weeks after the coin press starts up a TPGS will give you a special label for coins THAT WERE NOT STRUCK ON THE EXACT FIRST DAY OF ISSUE. Stamps are different. They carry a postmark (that is usually reliable).

There are millions of vintage coins that were ACTUALLY struck on the FDOI running around "raw" and unlabeled in slabs. In only a few instances in the past, someone cared and put aside some of these with a pedigree.

Terms such as "Initial Release" and "First Strike" are examples of excellent MARKETING that some genius at a TPGS thought up. Anyone know who it was?

10. masterswimmer

masterswimmer A Caretaker, can't take it with me

You?

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
  11. mpcusa

Turns good people in to "IDIOTS" who really cares if the coin is a first strike or
    First day of issue, means absolutely nothing !! but what it does do is doubling
    the price of the coin, and dont even get me started on people that buy or get
    bullion coins graded "IDIOTS" X2...LOL

12. Insider

No, had to be some marketing genius at PCGS or NGC and it was such a great idea that all the TPGS's copied it and threatened lawsuits to keep the designations all exclusive to each service! What a joke. IMO, only one good designation should have been chosen and used by all TPGS. Think if one grading service could trademark DMPL.

:facepalm: "First Day of Issue" means something. Unfortunately, its true meaning has been modified to suit the :shifty::hungry::greedy: rulers of the coin market.

BTW, the ONLY idiots I know of are :bucktooth: folks who try to control others with regard to insignificant things. What they choose to collect is just one example.

13. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Youre almost always better off selling them yourself whether through eBay or auction. FARRRRR to many dealers are more than happy to charge the premiums that many of them carry yet try and convince you theyre just bullion when they're buying them from you

Insider likes this.
  14. mpcusa

I am all for collecting what you want, however I am against over paying for
    something that is basically the same thing, if people want to pay more,
    more power to them...LOL

15. slackaction1

slackaction1 Supporter! Supporter

Wonder if he got a raise coming up with that idea or promoted. I know it works well as sellers use it online or in person.. Thanks for the power A/C man.. LOLLLL

16. Insider

I mentioned my personal experience in a conversation with a dealer at the FUN Show. It requires a person have a good eye of originality and quality:

Through the years, each time I had to overpay for a relatively common coin I wanted (and had buyer's remorse for days) because the seller would not budge - they were the easiest coins to sell and brought the most profit.

As for SE, there is always the "greater fool" theory if you don't sell to a dealer. Perfection is something many collectors strive for. For example, common old 3c stamps that many buy for a discount sell for $$$ (in top condition) to folks some here would call idiots.

17. mpcusa

My entire point which maybe a bit overstated but will use this example since I just
    bought this coin and there is a 70 in comparison, the first pic is uncertified
    1/10 oz Auspicious Matters and I paid $249.00 for it with free shipping, its
    a file photo, I checked with the dealer and the coin I am getting is BU
    comparable 70 is selling for $459.00, there is also a 69 for $375, so paying
    almost double for almost the same thing, I will pass...LOL

18. mpcusa

19. mpcusa

20. mpcusa

21. mpcusa

Draft saved Draft deleted