Graded ASEs?

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by shimps1, Jul 6, 2021.

1. shimps1

shimps1 Member

I've fallen down the rabbit hole. Researching physical silver stacking because I feel it is undervalued, has lead to junk silver, has lead to numismatics, etc. I've purchased a couple AGEs, and I have stacked a few dozen ASEs as well.

However, I have noticed with the switch from Type 1 to Type 2 ASEs, a lot of graded ASEs are floating around the market, and I figured it would be a cool place to start a collection. Is there anything I should know about the ASE market? I have a couple I have my eye on, specifically the Type 1 MS70 FDOI, Type 2 MS70 FDOI, and the accompanying proof versions, since I think having two different types of ASE from the same year is interesting. Is this a good place to start, or am I overpaying right now for those, since the Type 2 is not out yet, so there is a lot of speculation?

OldSilverDollar likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Terrifrompa

Terrifrompa Member

Hi. I am not an expert but FDOI doesn't mean anything. A 70 is a 70. MS 69 looks perfect to the naked eye and is much less expensive. ASEs are much higher in price this year due to rising silver prices, fewer minted, and the change-over to type 2. I don't know if the prices will come down anytime soon, but I have seen outrageous high prices like 199.99 and 249.99. This year is a great year to start if you are careful with prices.

4. Inspector43

Inspector43 Celebrating 75 Years Active Collecting Supporter

First Day of Issue, First Strike, Early Release and all other labels are marketing scams. They don't mean a thing. The Director of the Mint doesn't even know which was first off the press. Don't fall for it.

5. Jeffjay

Jeffjay Well-Known Member

If you took 2 silver eagles in slabs, 1 ms69 and 1 ms70 and taped off the label on each I doubt many people could tell the difference. Friends don't let friends buy
    MS 70

6. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

If you mainly want buy silver, you don’t need to mess with graded ASEs. They only add to you cost of acquisition. Most of them are high grade in any case.

7. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

Gotta agree, they're all marketing ploys to sell more coins not sure you want to fall into that BS trap! Graded bullion is a crazy idea, sure if it's a really good price buy but I wouldn't go out of my way at all. :D

8. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

IMO, you should stick to stacking. I you still want a date set of SE, buy the raw ones to maximize your amount of silver. If the time comes to sell for whatever the reason, most graded SE bring close to spot.

9. shimps1

shimps1 Member

This is what I was wondering. It seems there are tons of high priced graded ASEs out there, but in person I've only seen them maybe $15-20 over spot. Wasn't sure if it was worth it.

10. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

It does in the market and it actually has a meaning. Whether or not someone wants to pay the premium for it is up to them, but to say it doesnt mean anything just isn't true

11. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

Look. No one can tell another person what to collect. For awhile I collected silver sewing thimbles. If you wish to purchase graded SE it will be fun and perhaps even a challenge. All I'm suggesting is not to "chase" any of the top grades. As with most series, there are keys. Silver will probably continue to go up in your lifetime so have fun.

I have found the best part of collecting anything is to learn about the items. Unfortunately, there is not much to learn or read about slabbed SE. :(

12. FryDaddyJr

FryDaddyJr Junior Member

I'm not a silver eagle guy except for the reverse proofs. I've heard of people buying rolls of culls that were almost pristine

13. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

I been stacking silver for a long time. The slabbed ASE’s are collectibles. They are not stacking silver. If collecting them floats your boat, hey man go for it. I have been in my dealers place on more than once occasion when a slabbed ASE was brought in to sell and he pays ASE value slabbed or not….. Just remember that stacking and collecting are two different things and as coin collectors, we tend to blur those lines. Unless you are lucky, don’t expect your return on slabbed ASE’s to be what you paid….. But then again this market is so upside down right now I suppose anything is possible!

14. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

That's a dealer I would really be wary of when they won't pay even dealer market value for things

15. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

Oh no. He is a very stand up guy. He does pay a fair market value. But the fair market value isn’t what the item was initially sold at.

16. rte

rte Well-Known Member

Any one of those you can get close to spot (without the large premium)

I'd pay a like extra for a slabed 911 trade center US coin.

Cheech9712 and OldSilverDollar like this.
  17. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

Friends dont let friends buy or send in bullion coins for grading !

18. shimps1

shimps1 Member

What is wrong with getting a bullion coin graded? Do they just not generate the premium from being graded?

19. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

The simple reason, a 1 OZ Bullion coin is worth the same B/U or dropped 20,000
    feet from an airplane, paying stupid premiums doesn't make any sense.

Inspector43 likes this.
  20. terky

terky Active Member

Since the topic are ASE's, I have a question. Not about graded ones but tubes of twenty. At the FUN show in January of 2008 I bought 3 full tubes of 2006 ASE. I paid as I recall $167/tube. This small dealer only had 3 and I bought them all.

Over the years they have been kept in a safe low humidity environment. I just let them sit as they were purchased. I pulled a tube today and there is a fair amount of discoloration to varying degrees stealing some of the beauty. Some actually are beginning to look better some not so pretty.

Is it the norm for silver eagles or any bullion pure silver coin to have this happen over the 13 or so years they have been in storage? The next FUN show starts this Thursday at the Orange County Convention Center, so I guess I will venture down and unload some of my least favorite coins.

What are the thoughts about the ASE's changing more than I would expect? Is it the plastic tubes causing this to happen....what do you all think, I am curious.

21. Jeffjay

Jeffjay Well-Known Member

I have 5 rolls of the same year that I haven't looked at since 06. Now I'm scared to!

Cheech9712 and terky like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted