Grade opinions please, again...1950 D Washington Quarter

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by phankins11, Mar 4, 2015.

1. phankins11

phankins11 Well-Known Member

Again, I'd appreciate you opinion on potential grade. I appreciate your input from last nights thread as well here Will let you know results as soon as\if I pull the trigger.

On this one I'm concerned about the sports above the motto (maybe the beginning of tonning, but not really pretty, and the marks on Jaw and neck of Washington's bust...do you think it's wear\friction?)

1950-obverse-horz.jpg

Jason Hoffpauir likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. coinman1234

coinman1234 Not a Well-Known Member

4. Tom B

Tom B TomB Everywhere Else

It looks like an MS66 to me.

The strike is good, there is no wear and the luster is better than typical for a 1950-D. The downside on the coin are those spots, which are indeed on the coin, but are not the beginning of toning. If they are what I think they are, based upon my interpretation of the image, then they are some type of crud that develops on some silver coins that stains the surfaces. It reminds me of the improper rinsing that Peace dollars from 1922 and 1923 received, though in-hand it is not the same effect. I do not believe it is the result of an improper dip and wash, but again I don't know exactly what it is. Overall, I like the coin, but those spots will hit each person differently.

5. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

I agree MS66

6. phankins11

Tom what do you make of these marks I've circled in red? Obviously according to your opinion of MS66, along with everyone else who has replied, you don't see these are wear which would keep it from being an MS coin. Is this roll friction? They don't look like bag marks to me.

1950-obverse-1.jpg

7. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

Interesting. These spots from improper rinsing: are they removable short of dipping the coin?

8. phankins11

Paul I have a roll of 1957 Ds that have some of this going on on a majority of the coins. I've tried acetone and rinsing with water and they don't come off. I've not tried dipping.

As Tom B mentioned, they do not look the same in hand, in fact to see them on the coins I do have, you have to use a loupe to see them, but a photograph will make them stick out like a soar thumb.

9. joecoincollect

joecoincollect Well-Known Member

Is this a rare date or something? If it's in fact unc, which is hard to tell from pics alone, I'd say it's a 65 at best.

10. phankins11

Not a rarity, 21,075,600 minted.

11. Jason Hoffpauir

Jason Hoffpauir Avid Coin Collector

12. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

That's just where the other coins side-swiped it.

13. Lehigh96

You gonna give your opinion on the grade, or did you just stop by to drop a one liner?

14. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

I dropped in to answer phankins11's question on the origin of the marks he had circled in red and it took only one line. Here's a one-liner. You're obsessed, friend. You have a mental problem. Make that a two-liner.

coins776 likes this.
  15. Lehigh96

Another ad hominem attack. Why am I obsessed, because I call you out for trolling someone's thread?

16. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

Call me out? Where are we, in the poker room? I think the last time I heard that juvenile vernacular was when I was in high school. Or it might be grade school.

Lehigh, give it a rest. I'm a big boy. I wear long pants. I go out with girls when my lovely wife isn't watching. Well, that last part isn't exactly true. But you need to relax. Chill out. Have a glass of warm milk. Do some damn thing.

coins776 likes this.
  17. coins776

coins776 no title

the coin does not look that nice to me. it has some gunk on the surfaces.

18. Lehigh96

I will chill out when you stop trolling this forum. Btw, what is your fascination with the fact that I play poker?

19. phankins11

For those of you who decided to actually contribute in a positive way to this thread, this was kind of a trick GTG thread. Here are the results....See if you can pick out this coin from the line up.

http://www.pcgs.com/photograde/#/Washington/Grades

If this coin actually graded in the range of the photograde line up I disagree with it. I feel this is lower than the grade shown or perhaps more accurately I feel a better sample could be used. I would wager that it made the grade id did due to the luster that still shows, despite the distracting marks and spots.

That said, I would imagine the goal of photograde would be to picture examples that are in the lowest ranges of that grade to help the viewer to make a determination as to where the dividing line is between each grade. In other words, this example might technically be the grade its been assigned, but its the bottom of the bucket in that grade, which goes to show that grading by photos is only part of the picture...no pun intended.

Draft saved Draft deleted