Got my first Krugerrand

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by jaceravone, Jan 12, 2009.

1. jaceravone

jaceravone Member

Well this is a funny story...... My mother in-law loves gold. A friend of her's was wearing a Krugerrand around her neck and my mother inlaw saw it and had to have it. So she asks me how she can get one and I tell her to come up with 1 thousand dollars and we can talk. Well there is no way in haties that my father in law is going to give her one grand so she has now resorted to start giving me her scrap gold jewlery to trade so I could get enough money for her purchase. Well needless to say, it takes alot of scrap gold to equal 1k. We are currently up to $250 and I think she is giving up. But last week, I lucked out and bought my first krugerrand!!!! Yes indeed. Oh and she did not want to hear that, especially since my father in law was giving her a hard time as well. So when we went in last week to see them, she demanded to see my Krugerrand. And I showed it to her. For some reason, she wasn't all that impressed. LOL! :D

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. spock1k

spock1k King of Hearts

shameful i thought you had got bought a gold coin sigh

4. AdamL

AdamL Well-Known Member

5. Mumbapuri

Mumbapuri #16443

nice one.. even the silver one is beau... :)...though its a bit painfull when pple use coins as jewelry and that happens often...

6. georgiansilver

georgiansilver Senior Member

Silver OK but a nice coin!

7. william5182

william5182 Junior Member

Silver Krugerrand

Hi Jaceravone,

Nice coin but I don't think it's a mint issued coin. I pulled this from Wikipedia:

"The official site of the South African Mint Company and the Rand Refinery both state the historical reasons that caused Krugerrands to be made out of gold.[2][3] There is no such a thing as a silver Krugerrand. [4] These coins "are not official, have no legal tender value, are not produced or sanctioned by the South Africa Mint or Government, not Krugerrands, and not even coins".[4]
    The FTC warns about false claims on bullion coins, and advises to check that the coins you want to buy are not really imitation medals created by fraudulent "mints".[5]

Silver Krugerrands does exist but are privately struck

Cheers

8. jaceravone

jaceravone Member

:D:p That was the point!

Thanks William. I found the same thing too. I knew that the Krugerrand was a gold coin so that is why I went after this one. At $4, I probably paid too much, but the look on my mother inlaw's face was priceless. Like yourself, I couldn't find any info on this coin which makes me believe that it was privately minted and not by the South African mint or government. Maybe you could do some investigating if you live in South Africa. Thanks. :hail:

PS - THis coin looks as if someone took a brillo pad to it and cleaned it like a dirty little kid. :(

9. zekeguzz

zekeguzz lmc freak

I LIKE IT! NICE BUY.:thumb:

10. jaceravone

jaceravone Member

PS - It is also the size of a us dime.

11. Olmanjon

Olmanjon Member

Great buy-I want one too!
    Olmanjon

12. goossen

goossen Senior Member