Got my first gold coin!

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by some-willie.willieWANT, Feb 1, 2020.

1. some-willie.willieWANT

some-willie.willieWANT Active Member

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

I used to own some of these, and yours doesn't exactly remind me of them. Are you positive it is genuine? If so, why?

4. some-willie.willieWANT

I have no experience with gold fractionals, enlighten me on them? How can we make sure it's genuine? I shelled out quite a few bucks..

5. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

If I recall correctly, these were very well made coins, with nicely struck, frosted devices on deeply mirrored fields, producing very strong cameo contrast. Your coin does not remind me of those I've seen. Even if one had been mishandled or circulated, I'd expect it to look different than yours does.

Since you may not trust my eyes, and I can't blame you for that, you should check the gold content of the coin.

To check, first I'd weigh it on an accurate scale, and compare the weight against the specifications for the coin.

If the weight is within tolerance, I'd probably file it lightly in an inconspicuous location to make sure it is not gold-plated tungsten.

If it is gold, I still don't think it's real, but you should then take it to a coin dealer familiar with the China Pandas for an in-hand examination.

Good luck.

6. FryDaddyJr

FryDaddyJr Junior Member

Many coin dealers have devices that can measure and weigh a coin by inputing the designation and placing it on the scale

GoldFinger1969 likes this.
  7. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

I don't have a great deal of faith in those machines, but I'm guessing they'd catch most non-gold fakes of coins like the OP's.

8. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Are there reports of tungsten-cored fakes for coins this small? Since you can't strike a design into tungsten (it'll flatten your dies), you've got to wrap a tungsten core with enough gold to take the design's relief. That only makes economic sense for bars or the larger coins. At least, that was my understanding...?

9. FryDaddyJr

FryDaddyJr Junior Member

they can detect metal content, not whether or not it's counterfeit though

10. ilmcoins

ilmcoins Well-Known Member

This coin scares me. The price on the flip is also worrisome.

11. myownprivy

myownprivy Well-Known Member

It's just kind of ugly. Counterfeit or not. It's ugly.

12. some-willie.willieWANT

Lol, no, no, no, I would never pay that much, just over 100 after taxes.

13. some-willie.willieWANT

Ugly or not, it's my first and I'm young, dumb and broke. Lol

14. MontCollector

MontCollector Well-Known Member

What's the date on it?

15. some-willie.willieWANT

16. some-willie.willieWANT

The shop owner had a few others but this was one of his cheaper coins

17. MontCollector

MontCollector Well-Known Member

18. rte

rte Well-Known Member

Looks like an ex-jewlery piece.

19. some-willie.willieWANT

As long as it's 1.555 grams of .999 gold... I'm not mad

20. xCoin-Hoarder'92x

xCoin-Hoarder'92x Storm Tracker

The prices written on flips don't usually reflect what they last sell for. There's many coins on ebay in 2x2's with writing that may have been from years ago at a coin shop, then the coins end up in several other people's hands.

21. Tater

Tater Coin Collector

Difficult to tell from the photos if this is real. You also have to remember that a lot of the early fractional coins in the pandas in the early 90's went into jewelry. This one could be ex-jewelry.

Draft saved Draft deleted