Goldman lowers 12 month forecast of Gold to $1390

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by mikem2000, Apr 10, 2013.

1. mikem2000

mikem2000 Lost Cause

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Tinpot

Tinpot Well-Known Member

Well they are always wrong so I see this as a good thing. They were bullish on gold when it went into a downturn, now they are bearish. They probably just want the sheeple who actually listen to them to lose money.

Their free advice is worth about as much as you pay for it. :D You ever heard of bankers handing out free money? Me either.....

4. I have thought $1,200 for a while now. Will I be right who knows but dollar denominated gold will struggle in 2014 IMHO.

5. Juan Blanco

Juan Blanco New Member

To be fair, "by the end of 2014" is more like 20 months, not 12.
    I think Faber's call of $1,485 (mid-2013) is more likely, but lots of unknowns remain: the Euro-Crisis continues.

Rumors Slovenia might be the next Cyprus. Might that cause a run to Gold? Or just boost BitCoin over $350?

6. sodude

sodude Well-Known Member

They are predicting that gold will be a little lower (less than a $200 drop). It's not much of a news event.

7. Juan Blanco

Juan Blanco New Member

NOT much of a news event? Check the OPs from the last month or so "Why are PMs tanking?" "Silver's Dropping like Rock!" etc. etc. (And that's a trifle of volatility.)
    If Gold drops $200, we'll have CT jumpers.

8. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

Pm going down while stocks are going up. Who would have ever thought of that, huh?

You know, I did pretty well with my PM during the 2000's while stocks kind of stagnated, and I am doing pretty well with stocks the last 5 months, (or 5 years), while PM has stagnated. Gee, its almost as if a guy, if he cannot predict the future, might want to have some of both to help even out his total returns, huh?

9. Forget Cyprus or Solvenia tell me if China is still buying and how the Indian gold market is doing. But most of my prediction is based on my belief the dollar will strengthen around the world as assets flee trouble areas and come to the U.S..

10. Great observation and sound advice.

11. mikem2000

mikem2000 Lost Cause

Actually the first link said $1390 in 12 months as the title stated, but it looks like yahoo killed that link, the second says below $1300 in 2014, two different pieces.

As far as Slovenia goes, if the first Cyprus didn't cause a run on gold, I doubt the next one will.

12. mikem2000

mikem2000 Lost Cause

Diversification, what a concept. It just might work :)

13. Juan Blanco

Juan Blanco New Member

Edited: Juan, the portion in your quote was not directional towards one person, but your reply was. Keep the personal comments and exclamations to the subject matter, and not to the personalities.

So I've been (short-term) bearish on PMs for a couple years and I still see no compelling evidence of recovery... just continuing e-z money Fed efforts to keep Wall Street alive. The mkt is like a hooked junkie desperate for the Fed's daily fix. Where would the S&P500 be without the bond buying stimulus, hmmmm? And jury's still out if Helicopter Drops will work later on, to jack stock prices and drub Gold 2-5 years down the road... the whole program is still aberrant and far from the norm, btw. Or predictable.
    The outcome should be known by 2020/2... we shall see!

14. Juan Blanco

Juan Blanco New Member

I wrote that tongue-in-cheek, more to goad those who hate (cannot grasp) BitCoin. Another Euro bank holiday might push BitCoin to the moon! LOL

A fifth-stage Euro-crisis could be terrible for US stocks (which are huffing fumes, anyway) yet slightly benefit PMs. The rot reaching Central Europe, into historically Germanic-speaking areas will prompt more retail buying I think.

Other bear ETFs to consider: EFZ, SJB, PSQ, SH

15. vpr

vpr Active Member

Goldman's predictions are taken pretty seriously. If volatility goes up and price goes down, we might see people unloading due to margin calls. Either way, I'm not too bothered by it. I'm not selling any more of my PMs and not buying either. I'll wait for gold at around $1050 and silver at around $21 and then I'll start buying. In the meanwhile, I'll build up my cash reserves and wait on the sidelines.

16. Danr

Danr Numismatist

I'd love it to go down

17. Danr

Danr Numismatist

2 words: bit coins!

18. InfleXion

InfleXion Wealth Preserver

China is still buying, although no longer exponentially like they were up to 2012. We also have no idea how much they are mining or how much they are buying that they aren't declaring, but they are pretty big on mining in Africa right now.

The dollar should strengthen as a result of EU uncertainty, at least for the kneejerk reaction, but if the Euro falls it will take the USD with it.

As for Goldman's call for gold to drop beneath $1400, we can chock that up to the bottom being in. Goldman is the most leveraged bank of the big 5, and part of the reason they can do this is by profiting from doing the opposite of what they recommend to their customers. They are one of the best contrarian indicators.

19. RaceBannon

RaceBannon Member

20. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

I wish Juan Blanco would check back in. His last post was right before they pulled the PM plug on the 11th...

21. InfleXion

InfleXion Wealth Preserver

Merrill Lynch (aka Bank of America) sold 5 million oz of paper gold at market open a week ago to begin the cascade from $26 to $22.50. Then Monday morning the President signed into law the repealing of the Stop Trading on Congressional Knowledge (STOCK) Act which was very discretely proposed by Congress the previous Thursday (insider trading now allowed since disclosure not required). That Thursday prior to the takedown was the very same day that CEOs from BoA, JPM, and Goldman were in the White House discussing how to improve the economy.

Still voting for the latter?

Draft saved Draft deleted