GOLD VS. PLATINUM VS. SILVER --- Which is the best long term investment?

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by goldcollector, Apr 22, 2009.

1. goldcollector

goldcollector Member

Well, Right off the bat I will say I think all 3 of these will go up over the next few years, but I have to say the one I think will do best is PLATINUM

I like Platinum because of its relative rarity to the other 2 . I like silver a lot too, but there is just soooo much of it out there being actively traded every day. The estimates that I have seen go like this. 20 billion ounces silver, 4 billion ounces gold, 300 million ounces of Platinum. So going by their rarities and prices, Plat clearly beats gold.

I also think Platinums use in cars will continue as enviornmentalist keep push for cataltic converters. Cars will continue to be made at higher and higher levels as the pop soars. Platinum will alwaysstay above gold in price, as we know there is some manipulation in these markets. Even when plat fell $4 below gold a few months ago, it didnt last for long and even then real world prices for Plat were higher than gold.

Today real world prices are about Plat $1200, Gold $950, Silver $14. Looking at that, I rank these 3 in terms of how good an investment for a 5-10 year range like this.

1. PLATINUM
    2. SILVER - Close 2nd, but too much silver in weak hands, depressing prices.
    3. GOLD - I think Gold will go up, but much much less than the other 2.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Loken

Loken New Member

GOLDcollector puts gold in 3rd? gold must be heartbroken

4. greatgoldcoins

greatgoldcoins New Member

What worries me is that a major investor tries to corner the market in Silver (as happened some years ago)
    Since Digital photography came into being the demand for silver for photography fell through the floor.
    I agree on Platinum (but would add Palladium)

5. elaine 1970

elaine 1970 material girl

silver then platinum and gold.

6. bqcoins

bqcoins Olympic Figure Skating Scoring System Expert

Silver. It has more room to go, it's no where near it's all time high, and it's easier (read cheaper) for the common man to get.

7. Cloudsweeper99

Cloudsweeper99 Treasure Hunter

I agree -- and would also point out that there is nothing close to the 20 billion ounces of recoverable silver mentioned in the first post. Try 1 billion. Interestingly, by some analysts' account, there are more ounces of above ground gold in the world than silver. Ponder the potential price implications of that! :confused::eek::high5::D

8. AshcraftCoin

AshcraftCoin Member

LOL

I am a HUGE fan of silver. However, if you have the means... I say diversify in with about 25% investment (or whatever) in each Silver, Gold, Platinum, Palladium.

If you can only afford one... Silver.

Regards,
    Michael

9. goldcollector

goldcollector Member

Yeah, I agree with you on silver. The reason I put it #2 and not #1, is because every tom, dick and harry has it. Too much in weak hands, and every $1 rise in the price is accompanied by 10,000 people ready to cash their 100 ounces in and take the $100 profit. Look at it now, its only $12.70 and there seems to be 10 million ounces on the market. platinum is $1178.00 and noone within 100 miles of me has any of it at all to sell. Thats crazy seeing as how the ratio silver to plat is only like 50 to 1.

I agree cloudsweeper, that silver is much easier for the common man to own. But that can be both a good and bad thing. You know some guy making $30 K who decides to throw $1000 into silver is going to be more than happy to sell when the $1000 turns into $1500. I think that has more to do with the reason silver never really takes off, than market manipulation.

Still, I say silver is a close second.

Loken,

Gold is beautiful. Thats why I like to collect it. But it hasn't fallen like Plat and Silver. They have more room to recover. If you're looking at strictly as an investment, I say the other 2 beat out gold. Now go post that $10,000 bill that ur friend found laying on the street.

10. Loken

Loken New Member

not a friend my girlfriends father

11. JoeSmith

JoeSmith Member

I think it all depends on how the world economy goes. If the economy stays in the dumps, I see platinium going below gold. Silver usage will go down because it's an industrial metal, so its price will be kept down. Gold? Hard to say.

But what about palladium? I don't own any, but if I win the lottery I'll buy some.

My choices:
    1) Palladium
    2) Gold
    3) Silver
    4) Platinium

12. Loken

Loken New Member

urge, this made me think of cash 4 gold

13. elaine 1970

elaine 1970 material girl

gold gonna up and up again. it should hit $2,000.00 by next year.

14. Cloudsweeper99

You keep throwing around a lot of numbers, but don't source any of them. Where does the 10million ounce number come from? Also, I very much doubt that there are 10,000 people with 100 ounces of silver each who will sell when the price rises a dollar to, say, $13. Those who do sell will probably sell to another collector who will also hold the silver, not melt it. Having been around during the last great silver melt in 1980, I would venture to say that a good portion of the silver available to melt has already been melted, and very little additional silver will come to market below $25 per ounce. Grandma's tea set is gone already. How many MS69 ASEs do you think people are going to sell to be melted? How many proofs? How many silver commems? What seems like a lot of silver in a coin shop or coin show won't satisfy industrial demand for more than a brief moment. Silver prices have risen a lot in the past 5 years, and I don't think the real price rise has even gotten started yet. Anyone who sells their silver at $20-25 is going to spend the rest of their life regretting the one big chance they had to strike it rich!

Of course this is all opinion, and everyone has to decide for themselves what they forecast to happen with silver prices.

15. goldcollector

goldcollector Member

The 10 million ounce number is a number i just pulled out of thin air. I didnt source it, because I clearly stated it as opinion ( THERE SEEMS TO BE 10 MILLION OUNCES ). That is clearly stated as opinion.

I just went to goldeneaglecoins/silver a relatively small website. They currently have over 26,000 ounces of silver in stock to be sold just in their 10 ounce and 100 ounce bars section. They then have another $1,900,000 worth of 90% coins in stock for sale at about 11x face. So that comes out to about $170,000 face of 90% coins. I didnt even bother to look at the other 20 pages of silver coins they have. Then I went to their Platinum page.

1 ounce plat eagle --- 0 in stock
    1/2 ounce plat eagle --- 0 in stock
    1/4 ounce plat eagle -- 12 in stock
    1/10 ounce plat eagle - 7 in stock

Woo hoo. A grand total of 3.7 ounces of plat in stock, and easily 50,000 ounces of silver. There is easily 10 million ounces of silver currently on the market at $12.80 ( opinion), every $1 increase in price is going to bring more out. When there is so much on the market at $12.80, I have a very hard time seeing the price go so high that people who sold at $25 will be upset for selling at that price.

We have to realize that silver will always be the metal that gets overplayed on the internet, because people are always going to overplay what they own, and most people can only afford silver.

16. Cloudsweeper99

I have to disagree with your premise. Silver prices don't rise or fall because of the activity of collectors. The price moves because of the volume traded by industrial users, miners, and speculators on the major commodity exchanges. None of the silver you mentions enters those markets. The fact that the dealer you cite didn't sell the silver in bulk to a smelter is evidence that this particular batch of silver isn't likely to be melted at anything close to current prices. There is probably something like 1billion of identifiable silver in the world according to analysts like Ted Butler. When you consider that trillions of dollars worth of currencies are traded daily, you begin to get an idea of how small the silver market is worldwide.

Time will tell but I believe that it is entirely possible for silver supplies to almost completely disappear within a few weeks time if/when industrial usage exceeds deliverable inventories.

And that's enough for me on this subject.

17. ewomack

ewomack 魚の下着

They're all so purty I must have them all and rub my face in them...

Platinum does seem harder to come by and also tends to carry the highest premiums. But rarity doesn't always make for the best investment. Anyone want to invest in rhodium? Insane market demand and media speculation can drive prices up regardless of supply. Look at colletor beanie babies. They were about as rare as weeds and people paid $500 for the little styrofoam dumplings. Of course that's not a great analogy, but it does show that many factors enter into an investment, many of which remain far beyond our control. So, as was said, diversify. Put many colored eggs in many baskets of varying shapes and sizes. Diversification remains one reason why index funds have better than average success. But, of course, everything can crash.

And they're all so purty... who doesn't want one of each?

18. gxseries

gxseries Coin Collector

Why bother with metals when you can get more paper and educate yourself?

Your knowledge is definitely worth more than a mere few kilos / pounds of whatever precious metals out there in the world.

Now is the time to invest in the Masters or a Phd if you can afford it. Sure, you might be able to get a few kilos of gold but that's not going to give you a job.

Draft saved Draft deleted