gold spouses entering bullion terrirory

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by Danr, Jun 3, 2009.

1. Danr

Danr Numismatist

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. 1970 Silver Art

1970 Silver Art Silver Art Bar Collector

I am guessing that those gold coins did not take off as the mint was expecting. When the first set of gold spouses came out there was a huge premium on them but now I think they are just gold bullion. I could be wrong on this.

4. Danr

Danr Numismatist

They are .9999 and a half oz. People like smaller gold coins and they like the super-fine gold. When you figure that into it, they are selling for bullion prices. But the newer ones have a premium.

5. jaceravone

jaceravone Member

C'mon Danr! I need you dude to hang strong. Not too many of us collect these ladies. If the mintages stay where they are and gold continues to rise in our life time, you won't be sorry that you invested in these. Take the 2008 buffaloes. People laughed at me when I told them I was buying them, but now who is laughing.

Lets think of this scenario..... gold is high now, so is the price of the FS coins. So people aren't going the buy them. Mintage is low. But then gold takes a huge dive! Now these become much more affordable and people start buying them and trying to put together complete sets, but quickly will find that the late 08's and 09's will be hard to find because of their limited mintages and high prices. It could happen! Don't give up buddy!

6. elaine 1970

elaine 1970 material girl

if spouses gold and american buffalo came out very early. like l980's. i will then buy all the spouses instead of american eagle gold. now i got 12 spouses gold, 16 am. buffalo, and over 200 am. eagle.

7. elaine 1970

also i hate to say that if those gold coins came out earlier than 1970's. i will collect all gold instead of silver. silver take a lot of space. silver take a lot of time to take care of. and silver have to know how to grade them. but gold. you just put them in a bank safety box. that's it.

8. Danr

Danr Numismatist

If these bullion guys start buying the early ones some could end up melted!! Now that would be great on the long run.

9. tmoneyeagles

tmoneyeagles Indian Buffalo Gatherer

I want a spouse... (coin that is.. :D)
    Now, I love the Jefferson, and Jackson... And the Van Buren is pretty cool as well
    Still to high in price range for me, and I'd rather get my $5 buffalo first :)
    But that Jefferson Liberty has to be on my list, somewhere :)

10. Cloudsweeper99

Cloudsweeper99 Treasure Hunter

You are correct. At least now they are fairly priced.

11. elaine 1970

be sure to get the 4th liberty coming next year. but it should be a little bit expensive. anyway. i still will buy them. as for american buffalo proof one ounce. i am not a fun of one ounce. i already have 2008 12 proof and 4 unc buffalo 1/2 ounce. i miss the 1/4 ounce and 1/10 oz.

12. Danr

Danr Numismatist

You should buy a bunch and melt them:)

13. jaceravone

jaceravone Member

Early last year a rumor was going around that Silver Towne bought up a bunch of these and when gold shot up last summer they shipped them off to be melted. I don't know if I heard this on hear or somewhere else. My local coin shop has a direct line of communication with them and sends all their "bullion" off to them to be melted. The only problem was, from what I understand, Silver Towne never kept track of the numbers they melted. Remember, Silver Towne has their own mint and they make private coinage and such. So there are most likely less than 20k for each of the FS coins, but we probably will never know how many were actually melted, if any.

14. SilverClown

SilverClown New Member

I like women...

I like women.... but in former times these issues were secret issues, the US mint didn´t sell quantities to dealers only one piece to each collector. Good for collectors who ordered in time... for Miss Washington you paid earlier the price of TWO coins today... on the secondary market.

15. Cloudsweeper99

Cloudsweeper99 Treasure Hunter

Gold and silver in coin form are always worth more than melt, if only because it doesn't require an assay to determine the weight and purity of the metal. I personally think it's nutty to sell any coin for less than melt since coins are usually one of the highest and best uses of gold and silver.

16. maksimfa

maksimfa New Member

If I was collecting bullion, I would easily buy these isntead of eagles.

17. tmoneyeagles

tmoneyeagles Indian Buffalo Gatherer

Lower mintage, and they are prettier! :D
    I agree though...
    I'd rather have a first lady, than an american gold eagle

18. elaine 1970

spouses is not entering bullion territory. only the first three spouses were.

19. Argento

Argento Perplexed

The Jefferson liberty is the only one I like of the series so I am pretty stoked about the prices.

20. luca_usa

luca_usa New Member

Question

I am new to the forum and to precious metal investment, too
    I am sorry if I go OFF TOPIC, but I have a question.
    I am interested in some Platinum Canadian Maple Leaf bullions of one OZ.
    They measure 30mmx2.62mm
    Now, if I roughly assimilate the coin to a cylinder the overall coin volume would be: 3xPIx0.262 = 2.47 cubic centimenters.
    Since the density of platinum is 21.4, the coin should weight around 52 grams.
    So why it is just one ounce (around 31 grams)?
    Am I missing something here?
    Thank you

21. Argento

Argento Perplexed

Minor error in your formula:

Volume of a Cylinder
    pi * r² * h

pi * (1.5²) * 0.262 = 1.85g/cm

1.85g/cm * 21.45 = 39.68

I am not a chemist so I would be curious about the density variance on purity and if that is sufficient to explain the 8g difference after factoring in manufacturing tolerances, refining tolerances, etc.

Not to mention for a proper cylinder calculation we'd have to measure on the lower parts of the rim grooves and not the peak.

Draft saved Draft deleted