Gold hits highest price in at least 5 years

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by myownprivy, Feb 19, 2020.

1. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Someone should let them know what the actual definition of a pandemic is

Definition of pandemic
    (Entry 1 of 2)

: occurring over a wide geographic area and affecting an exceptionally high proportion of the population

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/pandemic

We clearly aren't even remotely close to the actual definition

Completely reckless move especially when their own statement says this

"Of the 118,000 cases reported globally in 114 countries, more than 90 percent of cases are in just four countries, and two of those – China and the Republic of Korea - have significantly declining epidemics.

81 countries have not reported any cases, and 57 countries have reported 10 cases or less."

But we're not allowed to get into the politics of why things are being handled the way they are in a presidential election year so I have to leave it at that

Even the use of the word epidemic was completely false

Definition of epidemic
    (Entry 1 of 2)

1 : affecting or tending to affect a disproportionately large number of individuals within a population, community, or region at the same time

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/epidemic

The only epidemic or pandemic we have from this so far is the hysteria responses and what it has done to the economies of the world

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

"Proportionate" to what is the question. This disease is disproportionately transmissible, and disproportionately lethal to at-risk individuals who catch it, and disproportionately burdensome on hospitals and health-care providers.

If you want us to choose between the World Health Organization and Merriam-Webster for our health care guidance, I'm sure we'll all be happy to do so.

What we're less happy about is nit-picking at "how many is a lot" until it's sickened enough more people for everyone to agree.

4. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Before you were saying no one with knowledge and authority had called it a pandemic. Sorry the World Health Organization doesn't agree with you, and as you hammer at this longer and longer in support of money, financial paper, and metals, you become less believable. I realize you may feel it is just a panic, but when Legionaires disease broke out in Phila, in 1976, they called it the same "panic". And after many of the naysayers caught the panic and died, the government got serious over the control and hardly a case( legionellosis) is heard of today. Panics very often have real reasons behind them. Try reason. IMO, Jim

5. -jeffB

Or, to put it another way:

You know when it's OK to shout "Fire!" in a crowded theater?

WHEN THE THEATER IS ON FREAKING FIRE.

6. baseball21

I realize you have a vested interest in things going back for a more desirable end of the year, but I’m just a practical realist. All that’s being done is creating panic that has been far worse. The WHO not even allowed to get into that nonsense but healthcare around the world is far from equal.

Until air travel particularly international air travel is shut down for a couple weeks everything else is just a bandaid on a burst pipe. By all means cancel gatherings for a while but stressing everyone out over something they can’t control only makes everything worse and selectively shutting down small areas does nothing.

What you have failed to understand this entire time is that the best preventative measures currently available are things that people should be doing anyways, wash your hands a lot especially before touching your face or mouth, if you use public transit shower when you get home (really do that anyway from work), eat healthy, get some exercise, get sleep, take vitamin D (most people have a deficiency especially in winter).

There’s been noting healthy or helpful about the response that has occurred from the public hoarding things and planes getting diverted when someone starts coughing and other people on the plane freak out.

Being aware and smart and panicking are two completely different things

7. -jeffB

It's too late to shut down international air travel. This has been circulating for weeks at this point.

Major universities are converting to remote coursework, on extremely short notice, even though it's hugely expensive and disruptive. Major employers are sending nearly everyone home to work remotely. This is not panic; this is very large organizations carefully weighing risks, and choosing the path that's likely to minimize damage and lives lost, given the position we're in today.

I fail to see how these hugely expensive and disruptive shifts are driven by a political goal.

8. baseball21

PS You couldn't be further from the truth here which seems to indicate you don't actually read what I write before commenting. Wouldn't be the first time you falsely accused me anyways

Anyone with a brain knows this panic drop in stocks in the best thing that could possibly happen to someone just looking for financial gain. You get to buy more stocks for less money that will have large gains when normalcy comes back. Tons of money will be made when things calm down

GoldFinger1969 likes this.
  9. baseball21

It's never to late to stop new cases from entering into new places

Most jobs can be done from home. Colleges switching to remote classes is about the easiest change over for them possible. Every college already offers some courses online.

I've laid out very specific multiple examples of the panic that's occurring. At no point have I ever said not to be smart about things

Canceling events and sending people home is meaningless when you can still go get on the crowded subway or be in Costco with 2k other people stockpiling like a hurricane is coming. There's a lot of feel good measures going on out there

Until air travel is grounded, trains and subways are stopped, boarders closed, highways shut down and bridges closed for 2 weeks except to EMS it's going to do what it's going to do. Shutting down a town or a school isn't going to do much when you can still get on crowded subways and most people that have it don't even get sick.

Stressing out over it is just going to make you more susceptible.

10. GoldFinger1969

GoldFinger1969 Well-Known Member

WHO is largely run by the Chinese and the Chinese Communist Party, they have the largest number of "employees" at WHO.

It's why WHO was so quiet when Wuhan broke out.

baseball21 likes this.
  11. -jeffB

o_O

Okay, let's assume for the sake of argument that WHO is entirely an organ of the Chinese Communist Party.

What part of the statement I linked is a lie? Were all those people who've allegedly died in Italy just crisis actors? What about the Americans who've died already? Are our regional hospitals (including Duke, you may have heard of them) setting up triage tents merely because it supports glorious Xi Jinping Thought?

It's possible that my local environment (living in a medical research hotbed, working for a transnational pharma company, dealing with an elderly in-law) is coloring my view of this. However, I'm getting neck strain from whipping back and forth between "dirty Chinese covered up this horrible bat disease" and "fake media are overhyping something not much worse than the common cold".

12. baseball21

I think his point was that their take on things is incredibly bias and is heavily influenced by world politics as is the case with most world organizations

13. -jeffB

That's what I understood, too. Thus my question: which of the claims in the linked article are false? I'm suspicious about the "China's doing a super-great job of keeping everything under control" one, but I don't think they're inventing the infection numbers elsewhere.

14. baseball21

It's definitely under-reported especially from China and the middle east, but there was definitely political motivation for why the decided to call it what they when they did that goes beyond actual health issues and confirmed cases as is always the case with them

15. GoldFinger1969

Chill ....:D

My problem with WHO is it's another UN bureacracy more concerned with its own self-preservation than transparency. Just like the CCP.

WHO's been obsessed with cigarette smoking, which while unhealthy, is not something that should be a priority like malaria and other diseases.

This virus is stubborn, real, and a threat....which is why the CCP's initial silencing campaign was ridiculous.

baseball21 likes this.
  16. GoldFinger1969

Bingo !! :cigar:

17. GoldFinger1969

I don't either....but I'm not sure that the numbers coming DOWN are entirely trustworthy.

They MIGHT be. But I don't trust the CCP.

Even if the CCP wants to be honest...if you're a local CCP official...and you screwed up....and now the infection should be falling but instead its rising in your district....what are you going to do....tell the truth (and risk a jail sentence)...or fudge the stats ?

The Chinese are notorious for lying/fudging (take your pick) on economic stats. The stories I could tell you !!!!

baseball21 likes this.
  18. GoldFinger1969

Should be interesting to see gold the next few days....economic uncertainty, upheaval, but deflation too.

Draft saved Draft deleted