Gold hits highest price in at least 5 years

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by myownprivy, Feb 19, 2020.

1. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

I fell on my head when I was 2 and I haven't recovered yet.

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. yakpoo

yakpoo Member

I can't wait to read all the scholarly posts once gold crests $2000/Oz. :D

4. Collecting Nut

Your grandfather is correct. Hang onyobthem for now.

5. fiddlehead

fiddlehead Well-Known Member

Is it the coronavirus?

6. fiddlehead

fiddlehead Well-Known Member

Or the collapse of the US political system? It's not the stock market. What is it?

7. yakpoo

yakpoo Member

It's a hedge against "the potential" of rising inflation and weaker Q1 earnings due to Coronavirus-related supply chain disruptions. There are a lotta container ships that are being quarantined.

8. yakpoo

yakpoo Member

Some folks like the security of bullion...should a currency crisis wipe out their paper "wealth".

9. Collecting Nut

I'm not talking about bullion or a currency crisis wipe out. I'm talking about grandfather.

10. Heavymetal

Heavymetal Well-Known Member

Your grandfather was a wise man. Be sure you and your father are aware of the tax event when selling that much gold. The cost basis at his passing should be documented. See your own advisor

masterswimmer likes this.
  11. Kevin wu

Kevin wu Well-Known Member

When gold hit $ 2000 oz this year , you will see more crazy price on gold .

12. GoldFinger1969

GoldFinger1969 Well-Known Member

Imagine $3,000 an ounce !!

13. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

It is fun imagining any wild price the market may reach.... But who on earth would buy?

14. Heavymetal

Heavymetal Well-Known Member

When a feeding frenzy starts the buyers go crazy. Maybe none on here but enough. Seen it before.

medoraman and Randy Abercrombie like this.
  15. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Yes, if the price goes high enough , maybe the gobermint will take it away :)

16. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

Yeah, who the heck would ever pay over $35 an ounce for silver? Oh wait, TONS of people who came here predicting $100 an ounce.

No one ever said markets are rational. Human emotion takes over at a certain point, and movement begets movement. I prefer being unemotional, and buying when no one cares and it's boring, then simply holding the position long term. I do this with stocks, real estate, all investments. I am weird though.

slackaction1 likes this.
  17. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Well, the last time gold doubled in price, there was no shortage of buyers...

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
  18. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

Yeah.... After I made the comment I remembered the last time silver went thru the roof. And sadly, I was a buyer..... I suppose I wanted to conveniently forget my learning curve.

fretboard likes this.
  19. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

Yeah, gold is up to $1643 and change, what's up? I hope it keeps going up, up up!!
    :D

xCoin-Hoarder'92x likes this.
  20. xCoin-Hoarder'92x

xCoin-Hoarder'92x Storm Tracker

Highest since 2013 in fact. Prices were averaging around ~1300 in the mid 2010's.

21. GoldFinger1969

GoldFinger1969 Well-Known Member

How are we supposed to discuss gold without SOME reference to the political situation when that is what is driving the upward move ?

This reminds me of the late-1970's and the Carter Administraiton and the political folks prohibited the economic folks from using the word "recession." So Alfred Kahn and others had to call any slowdown or GDP drop "a banana." :D

Other sites have Off-Topic places where sensitive stuff can be discussed, do we have that here at CT ?

Draft saved Draft deleted