Gold Eagle Bullion Question

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by cat1026, Jun 16, 2008.

1. cat1026

cat1026 Member

I have the opportunity to buy some tenth ounce gold eagles. My question is about taxes. Is their a tax advantage to buying certified pieces (like PCGS) or just the plan bullion. I know the certified coins will cost more now, but years from now if I sell them, is there any advantage?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Hobo

Hobo Squirrel Hater

You will potentially owe capitol gains tax no matter the coin. The only tax advantage I know of for one coin over another (from a tax perspective) is the Proof American Buffalo Gold $50 bullion coin is the only coin the IRS has deemed eligible for IRA accounts.

4. Leadfoot

Leadfoot there is no spoon

Over time, I would guess that hand-picked high-grade original packaging non-slabbed examples will be worth more than their slabbed bretheren.

Taxwise you're screwed either way (Hobo's post notwithstanding)...Mike

5. cat1026

cat1026 Member

Thanks for the help. I will probably just trade them in the future for other coins then.

6. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Not correct. All of the American Silver and gold eagles are also eligible for IRA accounts, but the bullion buffalo is not. The legislation back in 86 that created the silver and gold eagles specifically permitted them to be included in IRA accounts, but no such legislation was included with the authorization for the gold buffalos. So the question came up whether they could be include in IRAs. After over a year of consideration, the IRS said yes to the proof version (even though there is no legal authorization) but no to the bullion version.

7. zekeguzz

zekeguzz lmc freak

Are you saying that the only value the slabbed buffalo coins would be worth is what the price of gold is at that time. No value for the slabbed coin at all?

8. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

As far as most people are concerned, that's pretty much true for all of the bullion coins.

Draft saved Draft deleted