Gold coin

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Kyle Ray, Feb 7, 2016.

1. Kyle Ray

Kyle Ray Batman

what would you grade it at? Lots of luster! Also what would be a good value? Not melt value I don't melt old coins. Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. coloradobryan

coloradobryan Well-Known Member

Looks cleaned possibly. Look at the change in color around the stars. Lots of dings, so if cleaned, it would be a details coin.

Kyle Ray likes this.
  4. jwitten

jwitten Well-Known Member

Probably polished, worth slightly over melt. That does not mean you have to melt it.. that means that's the value someone would pay for it.

spirityoda, Kapimono and Kyle Ray like this.
  5. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

The apparent polishing removes any premium beyond the metal unfortunately. For an up to date content value, simply check a calculator.

6. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

Looks cleaned, polished and ready for the smelter with that many dings. When a coin has ding's, dongs and blinga bongs, it's really not worth any more than melt price. I definitely wouldn't pay more than $5 or $10 over melt.

spirityoda and Stevearino like this.
  7. jwitten

I actually WOULD pay a little premium. I mean, it is still a cool old coin. Just not much premium anymore.

8. Kyle Ray

Kyle Ray Batman

Less than a million minted

9. BooksB4Coins

I certainly realize some would, and in fact banked upon it, but I never paid one. Truth be told, if selling such a coin, it should be understood that in some cases an offer slightly back of melt could be received. The reality is that many will not view such a coin as anything but scrap in its present condition.

phankins11 likes this.
  10. Kyle Ray

Kyle Ray Batman

Here's a pic not sharpened to death(natural pic)

Attached Files:

11. jwitten

Still looks cleaned, and more damage on obverse is evident in that picture.

12. fretboard

So how much over melt witten?

13. jwitten

I don't know, not much. Might go for around $300?

14. BooksB4Coins

I realize that sounds good, but must be looked at in context. While nowhere close to, iirc, the 01-S, it's still one of the higher mintage post 1900 Lib halves which, generally speaking, are not high demand material once circulated. When problems, especially severe, come into play, demand at any sort of premium levels simply plummets.

There's nothing wrong with such a coin as a collectible, and if you like it, great... they're a decent way (along with circ) to own an original gold coin without a collectible premium.

15. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

cleaned to death. :inpain::hurting::nailbiting::dead::nurse:

16. fretboard

No, I doubt very much if anyone on this forum melts their own gold coins. Melt value is the amount of money a coin shop or coin dealer will pay you for a gold coin in very poor condition, see below. Just so you know, I don't even know a coin shop who melts their own gold coins. Mostly, they have a smelter company who stops by on a regular scheduled visit, like every other week, once a month or whatever. The smelter then buys the coins and they take care of the smelting and recycling. ;)

"The melt value is the value of the actual gold or silver in the coin. Dealers know they can melt a coin and recover a certain amount of money based on that alone. This is often the easiest way to value a coin and what many dealers will do when you try to sell them a collectible coin." - See more at: http://www.mygoldadvisor.com/what-are-melt-value-and-spot-price/#sthash.bsof0UVr.dpuf

17. phankins11

phankins11 Well-Known Member

Kyle, I'm not sure if you're here to learn or if you are only interested in what your coin is worth. Seems like most of the posts you create are only about what kinda money you have in a coin.

I mean this in the most sincere and respectful way; if you are actually here to learn, then now is a good learning moment: There's a HUGE difference between "lots of luster" and "really shiny." That coin has absolutely no luster left, except for maybe minute amounts around some of the protected areas of the stars and other devices. But, it is really shiny, and that's because its been cleaned and\or polished. It might even have been a jewelry piece at one time, which gives the look of polishing. Over time as the person wears the necklace, the coin swings back and forth across multiple fabrics, which in effect, polish the coin. Luster is created only by the minting process. One way to completely *DESTROY* luster is to polish the coin. Once a coin has been robbed of luster, it cannot be recreated.

One of the forum members here (@physics-fan3.14) has written a book entitled "The Art and Science of Grading Coins" ( http://www.amazon.com/Art-Science-G...keywords=The+art+and+science+of+grading+coins ), It's a fantastic read overall and has an even more fantastic chapter on explaining luster. Again, if you're hear to learn, $19.99 is a very small price to pay to get an education on what luster really is, along with helping you build the confidence you need to really grade coins.

You have a really cool collectible coin, but the premium is very low due to the damage. @BooksB4Coins makes a fantastic point, in that you can have the most collectible coin in the world, but if its damaged like this, both the numismatic premium and desirability to a collector almost disappear.

@NSP just posted a great video last night that touches on this subject.

https://www.cointalk.com/threads/oh-the-horror.274331/

Originally purchased for a $102K, could be worth a quarter of a million now, but will hit the auction block, starting at .99! - Condition is EVERYTHING...Knowing the true condition is the power you need to buy the right coin.

afantiques likes this.
  18. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

Jewelry coin. Don't melt, keep for the gold value or put it in a nice bezel and give to your honey on your right to wear. After a few years upgrade her to a larger gold coin.

19. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

I would call that coin AU Details, polished.

Many of these $5 Libs found their way into jewelry. Based on some of the marks I see on the edges, I'm wouldn't be surprised if this coin was ex-jewelry that someone has liberated.

Draft saved Draft deleted