Oh the horror!

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by NSP, Feb 6, 2016.

1. NSP

NSP Well-Known Member

I don't think I've seen this posted anywhere else, but if it has been I apologize. Long story short, a valuable coin + sand blaster/polishing rag/etc. = a far less valuable coin. :eek:

Copper56 and Endeavor like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

Ugh. Way to polish away $200K+ of value. :( He's right... it doesn't even look real any more. :(

4. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

Moral of the story: Fools don't need to collect coins.

5. brandon spiegel

brandon spiegel Brandon Spiegel

Crazy, sad story, i wonder why he did not think of doing any reassearch at first?

6. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

geez you'd think since the guy spent a 100K on the coin he would know better than trying to clean it. I hope he learned a very very valuable lesson. :hurting::blackeye::banghead::nailbiting::dead::nurse:

7. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

He had a real expert telling him not to mess with the coin. I don't think any amount of research would have convinced him not to do it.

8. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

I have found two things about life:

A. People with a lot, such as a $200,000-plus coin, often have no respect for what they have.

B. A certain kind of edited , such as one told not to clean a coin, will clean it in a futile attempt to prove they are not a retard, and instead prove with clear and convincing evidence that the term is too generous to describe them.It is also not allowed.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 6, 2016
  9. NSP

NSP Well-Known Member

It's so sad to see a coin that survived in near perfect condition for 150 years get turned into something that looks like a shiny plastic token.

Hopefully the coin gods have their revenge on that guy....well, I guess they already did... he did lose $100K lol.

Markus1959, Paul M. and Santinidollar like this.
  10. bdunnse

bdunnse Who dat?

11. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

That makes no sense that NGC would refuse to holder it like claimed in the video.

12. silentnviolent

silentnviolent accumulator--selling--make an offer I can't refuse

Who would want their company name associated with the numismatic equivalent to the Titanic disaster?

micbraun and Santinidollar like this.
  13. silentnviolent

I can see the holder now:

FORMER Proof
    -1 Details :(

(That's right. The first ever emoticon on a holder; and it's a sad face.)

Alegandron and baseball21 like this.
  14. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

I'm sure they would cringe at it (though I also would wonder how you could match up a coin to the original that has been polished that badly short of watching it happen) but they do holder polished coins.

15. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

The owner has never worked a day in their life. Money has always been handed to them. If you can afford to blow that amount of money thinking you can clean it and make more....well.

16. harris498

harris498 Accumulator

Makes me sick. Such a shame.
    The only certified 1850-P PL. Now it's an 1850-P Polished.

Endeavor likes this.
  17. jwitten

jwitten Well-Known Member

You do not know that. It IS a shame though. Reminds me of what ISIS is doing to historical artifacts.

Alegandron, Paul M., Copper56 and 2 others like this.
  18. Comixbooks

Comixbooks Active Member

What a Sad story I used to bleach Barber dimes myself to make them look better.
    I no longer do that

19. fish4uinmd

fish4uinmd Well-Known Member

You mean like this??

Dime struck on nail.jpg

20. silentnviolent

To a degree, yes. I've seen posts from collectors who, in their eyes, view the authentication of a possibly mint assisted error as a loss of credibility.

21. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

Hmm I wonder if this is The same guy who raised that drug price 750% and bought a wutang album for 7 figures. Sounds like it could be lol. :hilarious:

silentnviolent and Santinidollar like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted