Gold coin vs. bar purchase advice.

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by Khef, Sep 23, 2009.

1. Khef

Khef Newbie to casual

That is the almost 3 year old I'm buying for. In 19 to 22 years when he gets these hopefully they help with a house down payment or whatever he needs.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Whoa, PMG. Lot o' anger there. 'bout a nine on the tension scale. Who would have thought that a little two word response would have evoked so much passion. Trash talk? Talking down to people? I fail to see how gently reminding the OP that it is not proper forum etiquette to post the same question in two different threads is talking down to that person.

As for taking a position on something, I believe you have my answere. MS-70 coins in the form of bullion are way overpriced and cost ineffective to the new collector/investor. The so called "hype" of perfect coins, in these types of issues, is indeed greatly overated. You seem to be trying to sell a bill of goods in regard to these types of coins.

In response to the hate inference, it is you my friend who seems to be harboring most of the "hate".

I considered not even dignifying the response made by Mr. PMG as I felt the old boy is a little "over the top" and probably off his Meds.....till he posted on my profile page, and I quote, " I could care less if you are a level 3 dungeon master". What on earth does that mean? Sounds to me like he is the one with all the ropes and chains and furry handcuffs......

4. zekeguzz

zekeguzz lmc freak

Okay, okay! Whatever is decided on to give as immediate gifts that will be saved for rainy days, house downpayments, etc. It still the loving thought that counts and that will be remembered long after the coins, bars, whatever is spent. If the gifts are saved then the rememberances will last longer. Whatever anyone decides upon will be the RIGHT:high5: gift, regardless of what it is.

5. PMG Gold

PMG Gold Junior Member

Rude is rude

green18, rude is rude. What's a matter can't handle the truth? Don't like it when someone sticks up to a bully? I've got news for you, most bullies don't. I think that you should join an etiquette blog. You are obviously not ready for the responsibility of politely voicing your opinion on Coin Talk. Your reign of terror is OVER!

I know you're a Level 3 Dungeon Master, or some sort of garbage, from the Twilight Zone, and you think I should fear you, but I don't!

I'm NOT YOUR FRIEND. My friends know how to behave themselves.

Love the way after all of your posts you still haven't figured out how to abide by the Coin Talk:

Code of Honor
    1. Post unto others as you would have them post unto you.
    2. Keep it clean, like a 1950s family television show.
    3. If you don't like the coin, don't trash the person.

6. green18

lol......

7. BNB Analytics

BNB Analytics New Member

I don't know what's so funny about that. Just saying with all due respect.

8. green18

Guess you just don't know me old fellow.....and I state that with all due respect.

9. Boss

Boss Coin Hoarder

Amen.

PMG- I won't respond line by line. Should I say "naner naner" back to you?? I am not going anywhere. You just got here and seem angry and opinionated. Be humble and you will learn a lot.

10. BNB Analytics

BNB Analytics New Member

He's like me.. He takes things to heart.. Hey, some of us are just passionate people. Still doesn't mean we dislike the person.

11. PMG Gold

PMG Gold Junior Member

Boss

I've forgotten more about coins then you'll ever know.

Is that humble enough for you?

Or, do I need to reiterate?

You ARE NOT THE Boss OF ME!

12. BNB Analytics

BNB Analytics New Member

Alright buddy now you're irking me. Relax ok.. You don't have to go this overboard. Just saying.

13. PMG Gold

PMG Gold Junior Member

"Boss"

If you don't like it then stop being rude and TRYING to "boss" me/others around.

Otherwise, too bad!

14. BNB Analytics

BNB Analytics New Member

Sir, with all due respect, I am not trying to "boss" you around. I am just trying to cool off the situation.

15. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

I think everybody here is in agreement!! Buy the gold coins!!

16. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

Please don't feed the trolls:whistle:

17. zekeguzz

zekeguzz lmc freak

Where the heck is a moderator when you need one? Let's just drop this subject right now. This discussion is out-of-hand. Superior attitudes benefit no one and causes ill will. Ill will creates retalliation and that too is a downer. Let us talk coins and currency.........................NOW.

18. elaine 1970

elaine 1970 material girl

no matter what. i still prefer coin than bar.

19. Prestoninanus

Prestoninanus Junior Member

Its true that coins attract a higher premium, but, that applies both ways when you come to resell, you will get a higher price for them than you would a bar. Some dealers also insist in testing bars to ensure that they PM content is genuine, which costs you more money before they will buy them off you.
    IMHO, unless you are a jeweller or someone who is planning to actually USE the gold, you are better off buying coins.....

20. Info Sponge

Info Sponge Junior Member

Thinking back to when I was a kid, I think I would have been more interested in coins than in bars, except maybe one of the bars with artwork. Foreign or historical coins would have been the most interesting to me. I think I would have preferred raw coins over slabbed ones, except maybe once my age got into double digits.

21. krispy

krispy krispy

I say go with gold coins all the way. Whether bullion or collector versions.
    The designs on gold coins are more sophisticated than designs on gold bars.
    Bars are square. (BTW, A rectangle is a square. ;))

There are a lot of silver art bars available but the designs are kind of crude to me in comparison to those on bullion silver coins. I used to buy silver bars just as PM investment, but after I began to fill up my SBD (heavy, it got), I didn't have any passion for them like I did for coins. I traded the silver bars in for gold coins, just bullion coins to maintain the investment, but the gold coins are much nicer to look at than those tarnished dirty silver bars. There are also lots of nice holders designed for coins as opposed to bars if you keep your bullion in holders of some sort. I also enjoy collector Proof coins from the US Mint and for me nothing much compares except for the grand old numismatic US gold coins. JM2¢ :thumb:

Draft saved Draft deleted