Gold coin purchasing question

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by Seattlite86, Jun 3, 2017.

1. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

If you could buy certified early 1900s (G-VF) gold coins at or near melt value, would you? If you would pay over melt, what's the most over melt you would pay for them? Let's use a $2.5 Indian (not a key date) graded VG10 as an example. What's the most you'd pay for an NGC or PCGS slabbed coin? Edit: assume the intent for the purchase is adding to gold bullion for investment purposes, and nothing more.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2017
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

So many are available in higher grades that I would pay little premium, if any, unless I was collecting low grades by type, or unless the coin was a much better date, such as a 1911-D $2.5 Indian, and the premium then would be quite hefty.

Seattlite86 likes this.
  4. Seattlite86

Thanks. I probably should've clarified this is intended purely as bullion investment. What's the closest to bullion you would pay if you were treating the coin as bullion?

5. ToughCOINS

As a dealer, I'd probably pay about $175 and expect to get $210 or $220 for it. No one realy treats 2.50 or $5 indians as bullion . . . everyone likes the design too much for that.

Seattlite86 likes this.
  6. Seattlite86

Thank you for your input!

7. jwitten

jwitten Well-Known Member

Ya, good luck getting them at bullion prices, lol. I think right now $200-$210 would be a really good price on a graded no problem low grade coin.

Seattlite86 likes this.
  8. Victor

Victor Coin Collector

There was a raw one in our coin club auction. It sold for $225.

Seattlite86 likes this.
  9. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Bullion value on a quarter eagle is $154.71 at the moment. Good luck finding even a holed one anywhere near that price. Half-eagles and up can be had closer to melt.

Seattlite86 likes this.
  10. Seattlite86

What about XF and AU versions of them? What do dealers usually pay?

11. ToughCOINS

$240 XF $250 AU (RARCOA dealer wholesale pricing)

Seattlite86 likes this.
  12. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

If your buying strictly for bullion purposes, the paying any type of premium should
    be kept to a minimum especially if the coin isnt that rare to begin with.

Seattlite86 likes this.
  13. Seattlite86

That's generally the goal. I just know that Indians hold a higher premium and was curious how much the difference was.

14. mpcusa

If your looking at bullion, i would take a real close look at the Krugerrand, top
    dog on the gold investing block, i like them over any other including the AGE
    and maple leaf.

15. jwitten

"top dog"? Hmm, my opinion is a little different, lol

16. mpcusa

Your going to deny its the most popular ? would like to hear yours ?

17. Seattlite86

I personally treat bullion investing as being very separate from my coin collecting hobby. I don't buy coins for bullion because of their resale value, but because of their metal content. I don't care if there's a beautiful panda or pile of poop drawn on the coin I'm collecting so long as it's real and was purchased at or under melt. I was curious about the premiums on the US old gold coins because I wanted to see if it was worth looking into those. Basically, I've learned that if I can buy any of them even a little bit over melt, I could win out. That's really what I was getting into.

I appreciate everyone's input on the matter. Very informative.

18. jwitten

Well, in the US, yes. I prefer the buffalos, then the eagles.

19. mpcusa

well how about the Krugerrands ? the buffalos are nice however the premiums
    And the size limitations make it undesirable atleast from where i am setting.
    and not really crazy about the AGE,S

20. jwitten

I'm just not a fan of the Krugerrands. Look cheap to me (sorry!)

21. Victor

Victor Coin Collector

I have 1977 and 1978 Krugerrands. I think they are nice looking. Wanna know what I paid over ten years ago? $700 for one and $680 for the other.

Draft saved Draft deleted