Gold bullion coins

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by eddiespin, Mar 15, 2007.

1. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

I know the U.S. Gold Eagles are graded, but what about the other gold bullion coins, such as the Krugerrand and Maple Leaf? I'm not aware of anybody grading those, and I can't find anything on the Internet on that.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Andy

Andy Coin Collector

The way I look at it if it is listed as bullion then it already got a grade.
    gold bullion vs proof, etc.
    Maybe over time people would rate the coins as fine, etc. like the European gold coins of the 1800's but lets face it most of those coins are considered as bullion coins.
    At least that is the way I see it but I am far from the expert.
    I just collect what I like and the investment is the gold itself and the over the market price is based upon if and how much I like the coin without considering future return other then the price of gold going up.

4. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

Thanks for your reply. If they grade Eagles, why not these other 22K coins, that's what I can't figure out...

5. Victor

Victor Coin Collector

Sometimes you can find a slabbed and graded American Eagle (both Gold and Silver) for just slightly more than a non-graded one. If the graded coin is just a few bucks more, I'll buy it. For example, I got a MS-69
    one tenth ounce Gold Eagle graded and slabbed by NGC for an even $70. Ungraded raw ones are selling for that or even more than $70.00

6. AnemicOak

AnemicOak Coin Hoarder

I've seen 'Rands & gold Maple Leaf's graded by NGC. I've also seen plenty of silver Panda's & Lunars done by them so I'm sure they do the gold variety too.

7. Andy

Andy Coin Collector

A person can get any coin graded or bagged for a fee. As for the modern gold coins it is my policy to collect bullion for the line of thought I mentioned above. It is pretty much of an individual thing, collecting that is.

I love collecting gold coins. I lived in a climate most of my life where men do not wear jewery so I guess the coins are my jewery as well as patriotism, US of course, and touching history, 1800's to world war I western euorpeans .

8. RickieB

RickieB Expert Plunger Sniper

When did you get that Victor? It must have been a while back heh??
    What date? 1999 or 1998 ?

RickieB

9. RickieB

Oh Andy...
    Perhaps you should study the Eagles a little more diligently...I am positive that you will find some interesting information that just may change your mind...

Have fun..

RickieB

10. Victor

Victor Coin Collector

Ok you "would" have to call me on that huh?:eek:
    I dug through my receipts and found I made 2 errors.
    First it isn't NGC it is a PCGS. Second it wasn't $70 it was $75.
    I purchased it from Grey Crane coin shop in Putnam, CT on Sept. 15, 2006 and it is a 2003 coin.
    Anyway, the point remains as stated. You can *sometimes* get a slabbed and graded modern bullion coin
    for not much more than a raw one. If the time comes to sell, a PCGS MS69 coin will sell like hotcakes over a raw one. Just my opinion mind ya.

11. RickieB

You should be happy.. you have made some profit....:D :D :D

RickieB

12. Victor

Victor Coin Collector

Never said I wasn't happy with it! But I haven't made any profit. This coin is a keeper.
    it is in the bank in a safe deposit box.

Again the point (which nobody has agreed with) is that if bullion can be purchased slabbed and graded, and for not much more than a raw coin, it is a lot better as a future liquid item.

13. RickieB

Howdy Victor....
    Here are my Eagles...may be classified as bullion... but believe me they (not all) have some numismatic appeal...and value..

Good hunting..

RickieB

14. Victor

Victor Coin Collector

Now that's a stash. Very nice.

15. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

If you can find them, there was a grading service, SAGCE, back in the 1970's that ONLY graded proof Krands. They used two different holder varieties over the years and graded the coins on a 105 point grading scale. I have an example of the second holder, which was the very first slab holder pre-dating Accugrade by 9 years. I have seen images of the first holder but do not have one yet.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

16. Drusus

Drusus Pecunia non olet

I just bought a Krugerrand from apmex when the price of gold dipped a bit...it should be here any day...my first 1 oz gold purchase and second gold coin. I know it wont be proof as they were quite a bit more expensive. I dont know what grade it will be. That one is very fine.

17. RickieB

Nice coin Condor 101....very nice....

RickieB

18. Aidan Work

Aidan Work New Member

That's a very nice Proof Krugerrand!

Conder101,that is a very nice Proof Krugerrand you've got there.

Aidan.

19. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

Conder101, that's the first time I've seen one of these "slabbed." Thanks. This is just the seller, though, right...standing behind their representation you're getting a proof? Anyway, I still don't understand why TPGs just grade the U.S. 22K coins (as if to suggest these are the only ones worthy of numismatic recognition).

20. AnemicOak

AnemicOak Coin Hoarder

They don't. As I said earlier I've seen 'Rands & Leafs graded by NGC before (pretty sure I've seen Lunars & Pandas done by them too, but can't find any at present). You see mainly US bullion because they're US companies & that's what generally gets submitted to them.

There are NGC graded 'Rands on eBay right now, also one by ICG & one by ANACS. There are NGC & PCGS graded gold Maple's listed as well, there's at least one NGC graded gold Panda & quite a few from PCGS. I also see a gold Britannia by PCGS & one by NGC.

21. Andy

Andy Coin Collector

Well Rick when it comes to coins I just give my point of view but like I always say when it comes to coins,
    I collect as an individual collector and never pretend to be an expert. When I have time I will look into the Eagle coins which last time I looked American coins as a whole were more expensive then european and American Silver coins were traded then at a higher value then European Gold which in most cases was not to much over the price of gold. With the price of gold increasing at such a high rate, I wonder if those euro gold coins I picked up from the 1800's have increased their value more then the american silver just because of the price of gold increase is greater then the demand for american silver coin history.

Draft saved Draft deleted