Gold bullion coins... keep in wrap or remove wrap?

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by ewomack, Sep 17, 2008.

1. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Some mints have used packaging which contained PVC in the past. But I rather doubt those do.

Easy to find out, if they are quite flexible and soft, then likely PVC. If they are somewhat stiff - is none.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. stainless

stainless ANTONINIVS

another way to find out is, if they smell like a new shower curtain = PVC

stainless
    AKA
    Da Wabbit

4. ewomack

ewomack 魚の下着

Yup. The containers have both - they smell like a new shower curtain (up close) and they're soft and flexible. I think the jury is out that these little things are pvc-tainted.

5. andrew289

andrew289 Senior Analyst

If you bought it as an investment to sell in your lifetime, leave it alone.

If you bought it to enjoy and for your heirs to sell, cut it open and play with it. It's gold bullion not the Magna carta.

6. Haleiwa

Haleiwa New Member

FYI: I took a bunch of gold bullion coins and credit suisse chips the other day and sold them to someone. He picked out all the ones in wrap and bought them. He did not buy the others. But this was just one person and I don't know what his motive was. I think he sells on Ebay.

7. zekeguzz

zekeguzz lmc freak

mY MAPLE LEAFS CAME IN A SQUARE ROUND CONTAINER, Not sure if that's safe plastic to keep them in, long term. Also concerned about scuffung on rims. I separated them with a little kleenex tissue. I hope that is okay too.

Attached Files:

8. Aslanmia

Aslanmia Active Member

I wouldn't worry about it too much.

As pretty as they are, I'd be very surprised if they are ever worth more then melt.

9. zekeguzz

zekeguzz lmc freak

I'm not worried about the worth of them because they'll always be worth spot price. I just don't want them toning up unaturally due to pvc contact. They are nice looking though.----zk:headbang: I guess I'm just a hard head. Thanks!

10. JohnGalt

JohnGalt Member

I have a complete year set of Silver Maple Leafs. While I was putting it together, I saw many for sale in the original wrapping - often called pliofilm - that had developed milk spots and toning. Though many of the coins I acquired were still in their wrappers, I have placed all of mine in Intercept 2 x 2's since I want to keep them pristine. Mintage varied from year to year, and some are more valuable, to collectors at least, than others. I expect that prospective purchasers might prefer coins without spotting to coins in the original wrappers...at least I do.

I just picked up my first Gold Maple Leaf, and as soon as I figure out which size Intercept 2 x 2 is appropriate, it will join the rest in the Intercept box that holds their 2 x 2's. I believe that if you acquire a coin in pristine condition you should take reasonable steps to keep it that way. Intercept has been working well for me.

Best wishes to all CT'ers this holiday.

JG

11. Frankcoins.com

Frankcoins.com Junior Member

Even PVC should not hurt .999 gold. Leave them in the Mint pkg unless it is so bad that it no longer secures the coin. The Chinese fakers are making fake bullion gold, so in many cases the Mint pkg is more important than usual.

Draft saved Draft deleted