Gold bullion coins around the world!

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by vest007, Jul 31, 2013.

1. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

1947 50 Peso 1.2 OZ Gold

GoldFinger1969 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. mpcusa

4. mpcusa

5. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

Nice coin, but has it been cleaned/polished ?

6. mpcusa

No to both, its a B/U coin I bought, will post some better pics when I get a chance
    it was shipped in an airtite and sadly my fingernails are to short to open it up...LOL
    this is a bullion coin 1.2 OZ to be exact so condition is really secondary to me.

7. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

It may be a bullion coin, but I'm sure it sells for more than 1.2 Maple Leafs

8. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

Here's a 1962 - 3.9 Grams/19 mm- Second Vatican Ecumenical Council Gold Medal
    with JC on it, right in time for Easter! :D Translation services below by @manny9655
    "A medal inscribed in Greek and Latin both! I read both languages...the obverse says, "Jesus Christ, Son of God, Savior" (what the early Christian acronym ΙΧΘΥΣ with the symbol of the fish stands for--ΙΧΘΥΣ is the Greek word for "fish"). The reverse reads at the top, "That all may be one", and at the bottom, "Second Vatican Council 1962."

112634430g.jpg 112634430h.jpg 112634430c.jpg 112634430d.jpg

mpcusa and spirityoda like this.
  9. mpcusa

Cool coin, thanks for sharing :)

fretboard likes this.
  10. Andy

Andy Coin Collector

All beautiful coins and thank you for sharing them.
    • In collecting for investment, condition and popularity is everything.
    However,
    When I had the money to buy gold coins, I never paid top dollar for grading rank. I paid for what I wanted and what was good enough quality for me. Used to have them in display cases as well. But the price of gold going up has made those coins worth so much that they had to be capsuled and moved into a savings deposit box in a bank. So enjoy your collections and remember there is more then one way to do it. I just suggest collect what you love and what you can afford. Then buy a couple of gold coin books to look through for fun and a pair of white gloves to handle what you have.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2022
    fretboard, Kentucky and mpcusa like this.
  11. mpcusa

most of the time, not a big condition guy, I do seek out B/U (Raw) examples
    my main focus has always been on bullion content so try to avoid graded
    examples where premiums are high, but will admit sometimes you dont
    have a choice......LOL

12. Joseph$

Joseph$ New Member

Hello–

I’m brand new to this forum and hoping to get some direction from you experienced collectors.

For several years I’ve been buying two or three 1 oz gold coins a year from APMEX, JM Bullion, or Bullion Exchanges. I’ve usually stuck with the standards such as Buffalos, Maple Leafs, Britannias.

Now I’ve decided I’d like to collect a certain motif, namely, sailing ships. For instance, I have a Cutty Sark (issued by the BIOT, British Indian Ocean Territory) and an Antigua and Barbuda Rum Runner (issued by the ECB, Eastern Caribbean Bank). I missed picking up a Cook Islands HMS Bounty when they were available a year or so ago. Looking for that one.

Now here is my question: How can I find out what other gold coins are out there of sailing ships? Is there a catalog of some sort? A database? I can’t, for example, just search the APMEX site. In their search function you will only find items that they have in stock or plan to acquire; and even then you would need to know the name of the ship in advance. How can I find out what coins are out there that I don’t know are out there?

I hope this all makes sense and will appreciate any and all replies.

Joseph in Annapolis, MD

13. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

14. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

Kentucky likes this.
  15. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Also, Google should be helpful

spirityoda likes this.
  16. fretboard

This one is from Spain and it's a gold 2 escudos coin from 1804, 6.7 grams of 21k, for some reason I always wanted one of these for my collection, so now I have one and I can chill! :D

112647288c.jpg 112647288d.jpg 112647288i.jpg 019b12c7bbd8bcb9e0606c035c1ff77ea149e84da7.jpg

Eric the Red, mpcusa and spirityoda like this.
  17. mpcusa

Kentucky and fretboard like this.
  18. Tater

Tater Coin Collector

Finally got these beautiful ladies in.
    51901726-FD53-4D38-9D91-098A855EED30.jpeg

19. mpcusa

You can go wrong with libertads heres
    a couple of my examples.

GoldFinger1969 likes this.
  20. mpcusa

21. fretboard

Here's another Singapore gold coin I bought recently, it's just a small guy but I like it! :D

1126237c.jpg 1126237d.jpg 1126237a.jpg

spirityoda and GoldFinger1969 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted