Gold Buffalos Difference in color

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by Jsaw, Aug 16, 2019.

1. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

My question is coming from a labeling prospective, as i dont care one way
    Or another as to the purity 1 OZ Krugger / 1 OZ Buffalo both are going
    To cost me the same and are going to be sold for the same price.

Here,s a unique way to look at it, i was at Costco today and a hotdog cost
    Me a $1.50, but its still going to cost me the same price with catsup, mustard
    relish and onions, just my take...LOL

fretboard likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mr Roots

Mr Roots Underneath The Bridge

When it comes to three nine fine vs four nine fine there is really no difference....The goal is to make pure 24k gold and both three nine and four nine are 24k, nothing is added....one company just stands by their refining process a bit more.

This thread is an instant classic.

Kentucky, Magnus87 and slackaction1 like this.
  4. slackaction1

slackaction1 Supporter! Supporter

d
    Did that come with a drink? Mpcusa

5. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

Only if your buying...LOL ;)

6. Neal

Neal Well-Known Member

It appears some of the confusion in this thread comes from an inconsistency in terminology. "Pure" gold, in an absolute sense, probably does not exist except in theory and perhaps a few very small laboratory samples. Even .999999999 gold would mean for every 1,000,000,000 atoms of gold, there would be one atom of something else. But the term "pure" is commonly used of any gold that has been refined to be "mostly" pure, without any other material intentionally added. It seems this term today would include anything .999 or better, although historically it would include gold of less purity than that. As has been pointed out, that means the gold is 99.9 percent gold and .1% something else. Gold coins made for circulation would be too soft at that purity, so typically copper would be added to make the coin in the neighborhood of 90% gold (.900), but sometimes other alloys can be used. A pre-1933 U.S. double eagle, for example, being only .900 gold, is still listed as containing .96750 ounces of "pure" gold, even though you would have to refine it again to recover the gold in a "pure" form.

The exact alloy used in gold can make a major difference in the color. Black Hills Gold jewelry has been produced for over a century with beautiful shades of pink, green, yellow, etc., all of the same purity. Even at .999, the makeup of that .1% alloy can make a difference in the exact shade of a coin. That difference can be the random difference in chemistry where the gold was mined or processed, or it can be an intentional blend of the refiner or mint. It might be copper, silver, platinum, or some other metal or metals. Each will alter the shade of the gold coin slightly.

7. Dug13

Dug13 Well-Known Member

Are the Gold Buffalo’s and AGE’s produced with gold mined in the US?

8. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

A friend of mine from India explained to me that they use 22K gold for jewelry because at any higher gold purity, the strength would be too low for chains.

9. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

Actually it's a 2008, but where is the 'W' on that Gold Buffalo Coin? I don't see one on the 2008 at all, what's up with that? Is it just a poorly taken pic or what? Also, I remembered hearing something about fake NGC slabs, so I looked on youtube, check it out below.

slackaction1 likes this.
  10. slackaction1

slackaction1 Supporter! Supporter

whoa... copper Buffalo... would have got me..

11. Jsaw

Jsaw New Member

The W mint marks are a “collectors version” for that year. The bullion version still doesn’t carry a mint mark just the F.
    https://goldbuffaloguide.com/2008-gold-buffalo-bullion-coin/

12. fretboard

Ok, happy to hear it. :D So how do you explain the difference in color, did you figure that out yet?

13. Jsaw

Jsaw New Member

Nope! Just left the local coin shop and he assured me that they are both real. He pulled out a few buffalos and showed me that every year was a shade or two different. And that’s not where I purchased them. Actual got them from Apmex so I feel assured they are authentic.

14. fretboard

Good for you, nuff said! :D

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
  15. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

Oh yeah. If you got them from Apmex you are good to go.

Draft saved Draft deleted