Gold Buffalo vs. Gold Eagle

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by mach330, Aug 8, 2010.

1. fatima

fatima Junior Member

Yet, the demand for the 22 carat American Gold Eagle, based on sales, far far outstrips that of the 24 carat Buffalo.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. krispy

krispy krispy

AGE program 23 years and running. AGB 5 years and running.

4. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

And the fact that for the AGE they simply stole a more attractive coin design than the one they stole for the AGB. If we are talking about long term holdings, I think international demand will be more important than what US buyers like, so I would still stick with my assertion that .999 will be preferable. You have to assume you will be selling them to Chinese and Indian customers. :)

5. dlog tsaisuhtne

dlog tsaisuhtne New Member

I think that an argument could be made as to which one is more "pretty"... subjectively... I believe the Gold Buffalo is more appropriately designed as it shows off the beauty of gold (as gold)... Buffalo's show a lumpy nugget-looking textural quality within its negative spaces of the design to include an almost Rodin-style hand built quality of the indian figure... and ruggedness which lends to a tacit connection to the pioneer of early Americana... whereas the American Eagle shows gold as a modern refinement (rather, a "state of the art" mass-produced look) where its beauty lies in the "Venus-landing-on-the-shore" obverse narrative which aligns more with [seemingly] a European stylization and sensibility. both are outstanding in their own right, europa vs new world... its all a matter of personal view, all things being equal.

6. SilverTracker

SilverTracker Well-Known Member

I joined this party a bit late, but are there other AGB coins available other than the 1oz? I checked my usual online dealers and they only have the 1oz coin?

7. Silverhouse

Silverhouse Well-Known Member

Yes they made smaller denominations in 2008. I don't know if there are any other years other than that, but you will pay a premium for those. I wish they started minting them in smaller "weights" like the AGE. Oh well. It's why I haven't bought a AGB yet, the premiums are high, at least around here.

Draft saved Draft deleted