Gold Buffalo Fractionals: Summer 2008

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by Aberlight, Jan 31, 2008.

1. jaceravone

jaceravone Member

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. JimDepot

JimDepot Junior Member

That is why there is some interest in the fractionals.

4. Troodon

Troodon Coin Collector

Well I don't speak for anyone but myself of course but can tell you what makes me interested in them is that I can now actually afford one lol... with gold approaching $1000 an ounce there's no way I can reasonably afford the full ounce buffalo, but the 1/10 ounce and maybe even the 1/4 ounce will actually be within what's for me a reasonable price range. I am interested in the beauty of the coin and have been since 2006 but it's been outside the realm of reasonably affordability, until these fractionals come out.

P.S. Don't care at all about the value of these potentially going up... I collect coins, I don't invest in them. Well OK, at least not very much lol... it is a nice feeling owning a piece of gold going up in value... but I'd never sell it if I can in any way avoid it.

5. Aberlight

Aberlight New Member

I may be wrong on this, but I believe the Proof will be available through the mint and the Uncirculated will be available through the Dealer network. I haven't heard of a W-burnished American Eagle Uncs available through the Mints website.

If it looks as if this will be a series that continues I will begin buying the 1/10oz Uncs each year and will pick up a proof 1/4oz upfront, but no more.

$1000 spot is pretty ridiculous. Then again I may just wait until it falls back to $600.

6. modernman

modernman New Member

Thanks for your reply Troodon. I'm new to this hobby and from reading many of the forums I can't always distinguish between the collectors and the investors. I like the design of the buffalo coins and have been willing to pay a premium for them just to own them. I paid $185 for a 2001 silver proof Buffalo Commemorative coin, and am still looking for the unc. version. The price of my coin may have dropped slightly since my purchase, but I don't care since I don't ever plan to sell it. I just wanted to own it.

7. Daggarjon

Daggarjon Supporter**

im not interested in the buffalo because of ANY rise in value. I bought the 2006, the first year, because i loved the design - and it was my very first, and very last to this point, gold coin. I cant buy another full ounce, which is why i choose not to get the 2007. but i do believe i can get the 1/10th ounce (depending on the spot price of gold anyway). And as long as the spot price of gold stays within my reach on pricing of the 1/10th ounce, i may very well be able to stick with the series and colect the full run of 1/10th ounce buffaloes.

8. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

The basic reason that many collectors that I have discussed this with seems to boil down to this: The fractional buffalo coins would include an offering that is similar in size to the Buffalo Nickel. I think that for whatever reason, this fascinates people and IMHO would be the biggest seller of all of the fractional coins.

9. jaceravone

jaceravone Member

According to the mint web site, the sale of these coins are supposed to go on sale sometime in either July or August. I am going to do what I can to collect both the proof and UNC sets. It will probably break me, but what a collection it will be. I definitely like this design better than the AGEs. Keep in mind that these coins will cost more than the AGEs because they will be 24k gold instead of 22k. I plan on selling the few AGE sets that I have to help finance my first year - then after that we will see.....

What are everyone's thoughts on these now that they are right around the corner?

10. eddyk

eddyk New-mismatist

This is one of my favorite coin designs.

I'm flogging a lot of stuff at the moment to just save up for an ounce version.

I might now be able to afford a coin of the same design at a lower price.

I never intend to sell on any coin that I have collected, so I'm not worried about making profits and what not.

11. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Why should the 24kt cost more than the 900 fine version? They both contain exactly the same amount of gold, but the 900 fine version give you an "extra 10% weight in copper as well. The 900 fine version is harder and cause more wear and tear on the equipment so it is more costly to produce. Logically the 900 fine coins should be more expensive ones.

12. jaceravone

jaceravone Member

Makes sense, but I guess I shouldn't have said that without the right proof. (No pun intended! :D) I am just pulling things out of my butt. I guess I was going off a comment that the owner of my local coin shop said that he pays 90% of gold for 24kt gold and 80% of gold for 22kt. It didn't make sense to me, but since I wasn't selling, I didn't pay full attention. :eek:

13. elaine 1970

elaine 1970 material girl

nickel size

i liked nickel size gold coin too. i think the buffalo will only good for it first year initial offer. after that, it will be weaker than the am eagle series. beside, the gold is weak recently. but i still think the gold will break its high by the end of the year. the silver will also do its part. possibly $24.00 per ounce.

Draft saved Draft deleted