gold bar?

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by BenjyH_2009, Aug 4, 2009.

1. BenjyH_2009

BenjyH_2009 Senior Member

i looked up the words in a spanish dictionary and the lingo means ingot and se means to him/her/them and thts all ive gotten so far from the words

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. NOS

NOS Former Coin Hoarder

The guy at the coin shop was probably just thinking of this bar in terms of bullion value and would just as well have it shipped off to be assayed and smelted. He was clearly not thinking of this bar in terms of potential historic value.

4. BenjyH_2009

probably, right now im waiting for a reply from this company who specializes in ingots, i sent them the pics and they seem very interested.

5. andrew289

andrew289 Senior Analyst

Interested, until they see the hack saw cut. Yikes !!!!

6. huntsman53

huntsman53 Supporter**

Benjy,

First, the guy at the Coin Shop is a dummkopf (for dumbhead) but I could think of many more German terms for such an idiot!

It is too late to say now but you should have slowed down and took your time in trying to find out the composition of and the origin of the Bar! Haste makes waste and you have probably turned a possible Gold Bar that may have fetched a price approaching and possibly exceeding $10,000, into a severely damaged possible Gold Bar now worth about the value of the Gold that it contains, if it in fact it contains Gold. It is ashame that you did not take the advice of many of the folks here on Coin Talk and damaged the Bar on the advice of a Coin Dealer who's only true interest in the Bar was purchasing it for the Gold content once you destroyed it's true value!

Although the producers of the Bar may have been connected with Mexico, Spain or another Spanish speaking Country, I am almost certain that it was not produced by the Spaniards several hundred or more years ago. The lettering on the Bar is much too modern and lettering done by Spaniards several hundred or more years ago, would be fairly crude. They were only interested in mining for Gold and getting the Gold back to the Gulf of Mexico coast where it could be shipped to Spain or another destination and would not have carried a large assortment of stamps or tools to make the stamps for stamping Gold Bars. Also, due to the risk of running into hostiles, they would have more than likely hauled out raw ore instead of smelting the Gold into bars before hauling the Gold out.

Frank

7. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

What a find, be ready for some publicity youngster. I hope it's real, that would be really cool!! good luck

8. Cloudsweeper99

Cloudsweeper99 Treasure Hunter

You ignored my first piece of advice, but I'm going to try again anyway. When you receive the reply from the company, don't jump to do what they say or sell to them if they make an offer. First, get appraisals from 2 or 3 qualified appraisers [not local coin dealers]. Next, wait a few weeks to think about it. If you decide to sell the bar, don't sell to any of the appraisers, who may have lowballed the value hoping to buy it themselves. Shop it around to try to get the most value. Or, if it is truly valuable, hold onto it because it might be even more valuable 20 years from now.

9. BenjyH_2009

they dont buy them they just specialize in them and help people identify them. But i will look around and have different appraisals done before i do anything

10. Argento

Argento Perplexed

That is a mighty fine chunk of cheddar you got there.

11. BenjyH_2009

yea i might have a jeweler test it next week

12. BenjyH_2009

i think i might know what the word means lingo-ingot se-for and igo-a mining town in shasta county Ca

13. BenjyH_2009

it turns out to be a remake of an ingot that was found in arizona a couple years ago, but theres still a high chance that its gold

14. TheNoost

TheNoost huldufolk

Sweet, any idea on purity?

15. BenjyH_2009

no he just told me to go and get it tested

16. krispy

krispy krispy

Very good! Glad to hear that you are still working on this. Keep us upto date when you learn more. Good luck! You've had a lot of it so far... :eek:hya:

17. PeacePeople

PeacePeople Wall St and stocks, where it's at

Did I read in this thread that a saw is not a good assaying tool? wow...

18. huntsman53

huntsman53 Supporter**

Then it is a good chance that it does not contain Gold at all or is of very, very low purity! Also, considering where it was found and that it is a remake, it was probably used in a Scavenger Hunt and never found by any contestants and forgotten by those who buried it.

Frank

19. tularetokens

tularetokens Junior Member

This is what you were told form day 1 Benny,, Jess go get it tested already!!!! Not with a saw or your teeth. :desk:

Tim

20. danisanub

danisanub Finance Major

why don't you throw it in the fire to find the melting point? Gold melts at 1947°F

JK, please don't do that!! :D

21. PeacePeople

PeacePeople Wall St and stocks, where it's at

I bet his jeweler or coin dealer has a torch and I'm sure his mother has one of those meat thermometers. I say go for it....

jk....lol

Draft saved Draft deleted