gold bar?

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by BenjyH_2009, Aug 4, 2009.

1. BenjyH_2009

BenjyH_2009 Senior Member

idk if this is the right forum but if i posted pictures of this bar a found metal detecting today can someone tell if its gold or not?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. krispy

krispy krispy

I don't know if there's any guarantee but regardless you will need to post an image to get started with any assistance by the metallurgically inclined, curious and metal detectors on CT!

I for one want to see this... post away!

4. BenjyH_2009

here are some pictures
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

5. krispy

krispy krispy

Have you weighed it and/or tested with magnet? Any more markings on the other side(s). Pretty bizarre hunk/loaf of metal you got there...

6. BenjyH_2009

nothin on the other side except that it looks like it ot poured into a mould, it weighs around 6.5 troy oz and a magnet didnt stick to it

7. krispy

krispy krispy

I'd suggest you get hold of a precious metals testing kit to help figure out what you have.

8. BenjyH_2009

iwas going to go to coin/jwelery store toorrow to see what they say, and where could i get one of those?

9. krispy

krispy krispy

some coin or jewelry shops sell the testing kits, but the seller at that link I posted sells the kits on eBay, just check their items for sale if you are interested.

10. danisanub

danisanub Finance Major

The bar says 200 grams from what I can see, and my math says it should weigh 6.43014932 ounces, so that's pretty close to the 6.5 you said. Lets hope its real!

11. krispy

krispy krispy

would be cool for a detector find and you should definitely go back and scour the area for more if you can

12. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

I suspect it is a rough bar from an early stage in the refining process - still a lot of impurities to be refined out. A quite valuable find even so, assuming it is genuine. I suspect it is.

13. weryon

weryon World traveler - In Thailand

That's an amazing metal detector find.... I would of loved to see your face pulling it out. BTW what metal detector are you using ?

I have a ace 250 from garett , never found much with it though , let alone a 6.5 oz gold bar.

14. BenjyH_2009

i mostly use my bounty hunter tracker IV

15. huntsman53

huntsman53 Supporter**

Fantastic find! It could be a fairly old Gold Bar, so you might want to do some research on it. Even, if it is a rough bar from an early stage in the refining process like Doug said, it could still fetch a really high price on eBay. It's not every day that someone looses a 200 gram Gold Bar, so it must have been put there intentionally! I know that I would be back at the location looking for it's brothers and sisters as well as it's mom and pop!

Frank

16. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

This looks like brass or bronze
    have it tested

17. elaine 1970

elaine 1970 material girl

i like the swiss credit gold bar. specially the 20 gram.

18. krispy

krispy krispy

elaine: What does this have to do with the OP?

19. BenjyH_2009

thats what my dad said so im probably going to go and get it tested today, but y would somone make a brass bar?

20. krispy

krispy krispy

from brass scrap recycling perhaps

21. BenjyH_2009

would they still stamp it?

Draft saved Draft deleted