Gold and Oil vs unemployment

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by Pepperoni, Jul 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pepperoni

Pepperoni Senior Member

If we are no where near a bottom in this cycle of recession or depression ( You pick ). How will increased unemployment impact oil and gold if oil craters from various things as low use , and inflation picks up from more & more lower tax revenues.
    These are world wide unnatural times by any yard stick.
    If the dollar falls and China and others want another currency who or what would they use ?
    I have often thought of a a partial monatization but we do not hold enough PMs of the quanitity to make a bump in what is being done. Rephrase nothing is being done because we are broke. We have had a war on every thing.
    Drugs come to mind. How can you know where all the dope is grown, and can not stop it with an army of DEA agents unless you are complicit in this scheme.
    Getting your arms around what to invest, where ,might be sitting behind a computer and selling turkeys short !
    The only thing sure, is that there is nothing that is sure.
    Let us hear from Oracles who are living in and out of America.
    Pep

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. andrew289

andrew289 Senior Analyst

I'll take a kilo of what you're smokin, that must be some really kickin herb.

While true the recession is in for a double dip and we won't see bottom until summer of 2010. The second wave of foreclosures is due in October and then the commercial real estate collapse in December. Unemplyment will top out at 13, maybe 14 percent. Former high wage earners from the auto industry are now being retooled as minimum wage workers and it will be a shock to their self esteem but we will all learn to make due with much less.

PM are good to dollar cost average, I'd be leary of keeping high cash balances as devaluation is on the way so get .

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/07/03/AR2009070302689.html

4. Pepperoni

Pepperoni Senior Member

Yes

You do not know what you do not know.
    This is almost a roll of the dice.
    I do know the direction we are going in might be way to far along to retrieve any of what America was.
    This will be a long pull to undo what ever we can.
    Congress is addicted to spending our money and we have let them do it, do you think they are smoking "CRACK" ?

Pep
    Anyone can cut and paste, do you have any real ideas of interest or ?

5. justafarmer

justafarmer Senior Member

Just to put things in perspective - I am not just a farmer – I am also in the scrap metal business. This time last year I was shipping around 1000 gross tons (2,240,000 lbs.) of #1 and #2 processed steel scrap a month at an average price of about $400.00 a gross ton. From October 31, 2008 to May 5, 2009, bought a bunch of scrap but couldn’t secure a contract to sell any of it. In May I finally got a contract for 100 gross tons at 150.00 per. June - contracted 250 gross tons at 175.00 per. In July contracted 500 gross tons at 225.00 per. Don’t know if this is a bump or signs of things getting better.

6. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

7. 900fine

900fine doggone it people like me

Yes, they are

Yes, we have

Yes, I do

8. 900fine

900fine doggone it people like me

My industry is a harbinger of worldwide industrial activity... I work in process control for every type of industry imaginable.

We have seen the bottom and are trending up. North America first, Europe lags behind (maybe 6 months or so), Asia uncertain, Africa and Middle East... forget it.

9. Cloudsweeper99

Cloudsweeper99 Treasure Hunter

I would think this tread belongs in the PRWE forum.

10. danisanub

danisanub Finance Major

11. Boss

Boss Coin Hoarder

This is a funny thread. Just lurking. I say down with the PRWE. Coins are inseperable from such subjects. Those statements are nothing but censorship. Just my humble thoughts.

12. Boss

Boss Coin Hoarder

Actually, I just went there (PRWE) and logged in. I will blog there with like 4 other people I think.

13. TomCorona

TomCorona New Member

Just to put things in perspective - I am not just a farmer – I am also in the scrap metal business. This time last year I was shipping around 1000 gross tons (2,240,000 lbs.) of #1 and #2 processed steel scrap a month at an average price of about $400.00 a gross ton

So you're the one that shipped all that WTC steel out to China!!!:bigeyes:

14. TomCorona

TomCorona New Member

Actually, I just went there (PRWE) and logged in. I will blog there with like 4 other people I think.

It's up to 4 now??

15. Cloudsweeper99

No matter. That's where it belongs. Not here.

16. Boss

Boss Coin Hoarder

I wonder how many people would be in favor of exempting the bullion section and allowing any discsussion like in PWRE? I have no idea how one can discuss bullion and not constantly delve into these issues. Most people buy bullion as a hedge against inflation and for perceived economic uncertainty. Politics and Economics and War don't impact bullion? Look at the title of this thread. An analogy: it would be like discussing the future of the construction industry re: the supply and skills of it's labor supply, but telling everyone they can't mention undocumented workers, latinos, etc for fear of offending. That would be ignoring the simple fact that the above this group makes up most of the labor force in this industry (at least where I live).No offense to anyone here. I just think these threads get killed by unecessary rules and censorship.

17. krispy

krispy krispy

Responding primarily to: "get killed by unecessary rules and censorship"

I agree that politics cannot be separated in bullion discussions but it is extremely hard to keep personal opinions and unfounded suspicions about politics out. It's hard for all parties to be objective in such discussion. Debate as such in these threads gets heated easily. It also get confusing real fast, often times an OP asks a benign question then looses control of the topic to members with strong beliefs and harsh comments that appear hard to disprove but seem questionable. I like discussing or lurking the bullion treads, I lurk when I see they are getting hot and people getting bothered and I just know then that I shouldn't add to any such mix-ups. I find more often than not that these threads spiral out of control or get moved to other categories because they are too susceptible to conspiracists and all too often to those conspiracists' bitter opinions misinforming the greater community. It's quite rare to find links to objective information in these threads which everyone can read and consider other members' arguments from those sources. I do not think moving these threads kills them, it is not unnecessary ruling nor censorship, it's moderation, and it's good CT has moderation skills by the moderators which allows you to discuss what you wish to discuss instead of eliminating or blocking the topic and closing these type threads entirely.

18. Cloudsweeper99

There are hundreds of places on the interenet to discuss politics. Everyone here, for various reasons, has already decided to buy bullion bars or coins for some reason and doesn't need to be convinced. Of course politics affects prices, but so does weather, geology, energy costs, etc. So what. It takes neither intelligence nor skill to discuss politics. It's mostly opinion and interpretation. And opinions are like belly buttons, everyone has one and they don't mean a thing. There is a special forum set up for politics and the fact that it isn't well visited should tell you that most people here don't care. This doesn't mean you should move the topic into other forums.

19. justafarmer

The title to this section is Bullion INVESTING. If one is restricted from talking about the politics of monetary policy, economics, finance, happenings in the other markets, world events and other such related things; then the section might as well be deleted or re-named it to Artsie Bars.

20. Cloudsweeper99

Yet, there are numerous interesting threads in this forum that avoid politics, which pretty much refutes your opinion.

21. justafarmer

Which ones would that be?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.