Gluing Coins Together

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by hoth2, Nov 16, 2016.

1. hoth2

hoth2 Well-Known Member

Hi All,
    I got a few coins in the mail the other day and one, an Augustus Denarius, arrived in two decent-sized pieces and a million smaller pieces that, if they hadn't fluttered down into my couch cushions when I opened the package, would probably add up to about a quarter of the coin.

My question is this: How do I go about gluing the two decent-sized pieces back together? Would I just use drug-store superglue and care?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Aidan_()

Aidan_() Numismatic Contributor

Did you buy the coins broken?

4. hoth2

hoth2 Well-Known Member

No, the coin broke in transit. It was part of a two-coin lot and the seller refunded me half, so I feel whole.

Orange Julius likes this.
  5. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

I've only had this happen once a few years back, and the seller refunded the entire amount and told me to keep the pieces. Not like the coin is going to ever be much now that it's in several pieces. It seems to me that it's up to the seller to package these things in a way that will prevent breakage in transit. BTW, I still have all the pieces in a flip.

Orfew likes this.
  6. hoth2

hoth2 Well-Known Member

Yeah he didn't ask for the broken coin back, but since the other coin arrived in tact he only offered the half refund. The broken coin was probably the more valuable of the two, by just a touch, but I targeted the lot because of the other coin so I figured all's fair.

7. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Sounds like you're happy with what you got and the seller took care of you to your satisfaction. Forget gluing the coins. Put all the pieces in a flip and call it good.

hoth2 likes this.
  8. Ken Dorney

Ken Dorney Yea, I'm Cool That Way...

Some methods will be rather permanent (super glue). As a dealer and collector of antiquities I have always done the same thing. Use ONLY water soluble glue. In the US Elmers is the brand I know (not sure what the chemical composition is or the common name). This way if the repair job comes out wrong one can reverse the repair. I have seen many dealers make horrid and permanent repairs with the wrong materials. I have only had good luck with Elmers (well, I have never repaired a coin, but a great many antiquities). It is true that one can use such permanent glues. I have in the past restored Roman glass bottles from darned near dust using super glue, but that is only if one is REALLY confident in their abilities.

9. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

10. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Recently the Richmond Virginia Museum of Fine Arts took apart their full length statue of Caligula and replaced the head at a different angle correcting assembly errors made decades ago and making the whole look more like it actually belonged that way. I understand the process of correcting restoration errors is quite common in the museum world now that slapping thing together any old way has ceased to be fashionable in those circles.
    combo1396.jpg

11. hoth2

hoth2 Well-Known Member

Thanks Ken--this was really useful. Elmer's glue would have seemed like a blunt instrument, but I guess that has more to do with the big hole in the tip of the bottle than the actual glue. If I do decide to glue the coin back together I'm going to be a lot more comfortable about it now. And based on your glass bottle anecdote I may dive into the couch cushions in search of tiny bits of silver.

12. hoth2

hoth2 Well-Known Member

Well, inspirational message board posting HAS always been a hobby of mine.

13. hoth2

hoth2 Well-Known Member

Well if nothing else I know that I'm more comfortable if Mr. Caligula is not looking directly at me, so good on the Richmond Virginia Museum of Fine Arts!

14. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

I remember trying to tape a young Hydrangea plant back together after I had mistakenly weed whacked it down.........I still got busted by the wife. :)

stevex6 and hoth2 like this.
  15. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

If one doe use superglue, remember that acetone will dissolve even set CA glue. I use it to glue stones on a dop for faceting and then let them soak in acetone to release with no force.

Theodosius likes this.
  16. Ken Dorney

Ken Dorney Yea, I'm Cool That Way...

Yea, but Hydrangeas grow like weeds. Its hard to kill them!

green18 likes this.
  17. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Deer killed every one I had.

Draft saved Draft deleted