Germania 5 Mark

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by Tater, Jun 18, 2020.

1. Tater

Tater Coin Collector

I am just noticing this series of new silver bullion coin. The 2019 and 2020 Germania coins. It appears that their are a couple of versions of the coins. The Germania, the Allegories and maybe one called the flag. The mintages are low and the design looks fantastic IMO. What do you guys know about the series? Where's the best places to buy them? Any long term potential here?

GoldFinger1969 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. thomas mozzillo

thomas mozzillo Well-Known Member

I Googled Germania coins and came up with this: https://www.google.com/search?q=ger....69i57j0l4.27971j1j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8
    If you're one that doesn't click on links posted on Coin Talk, Google is your friend. You can also check germaniamint.com
    From what little I've seen, (mintage of 25,000) buying them is not that good of an investment. That's just my personal opinion. Others may think differently. :)
    EDIT. 5 Mark silver round is 1 oz.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2020
  4. FryDaddyJr

FryDaddyJr Junior Member

not bullion. just shiny for the gullible.

5. Tater

Tater Coin Collector

So what what mintage would it have to be at to be considered an investment in your opinion.

6. thomas mozzillo

thomas mozzillo Well-Known Member

Mintage would not be a consideration if I chose to invest in silver bullion. Many silver rounds have mintages well below 25,000 and the value is still determined by the current price of silver. I currently have 1 oz. silver coins from at least 5 different countries and all of their value is tied to the current price of silver. From what I'm observing, now is not a good time to buy silver because there's a big spread between the buy & sell prices for Gov't. issued coins. The prices are a little better for silver rounds. My opinion is not to be taken as advice. Investment advice is best left to professionals, and I am not one of them. Peace :)
    EDIT. Germania silver rounds have some beautiful designs and if I were to buy any, it would be for the designs. Based on the current prices, I doubt that I'd recover my money if I had to resell them anytime soon.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2020
    beaver96 and GoldFinger1969 like this.
  7. GoldFinger1969

GoldFinger1969 Well-Known Member

I just found out about these coins, too....I may have purchased one a year or so ago, can't remember (may have been outbid). Will check and report back.

Beautful coin, but the premium for any sizeable purchase is ridiculous. For 1 coin ? I might do it.

But graded at the 69 level the 2020 issue appears to be a 500-600% premium to spot bullion....even a 200-250% premium to similarly-graded ASEs.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2020
    Tater likes this.
  8. GoldFinger1969

If you LOVE the coin...you buy 1....and if silver hits $50/oz., it might move up 25%.

But who knows...if mintage ceases in the future, these things could see that pricey premium expand to the absurd. Ya Never Know ! :D

Tater likes this.
  9. GoldFinger1969

I don't have one of these...it was the BRITTANIA coin which I think is an official BOE/UK coin.

Another female warrior on the front confused me. :D

Tater likes this.
  10. whopper64

whopper64 Well-Known Member

Since I'm collecting for my daughter who is part German/part Welsh, I purchased one of them last year simply to add to the heritage collection. She has already seen it and loves it. No coins, other than truly rare collectible coins should be treated as investments. History and heritage, however, can truly be satisfying and worthy.

GoldFinger1969 and Tater like this.
  11. kaparthy

kaparthy Well-Known Member

A little on the buxom side of reality, don't you think? I mean, maybe if she was dirndled up or something, but you just want to hand the woman a brassiere against the stretch marks.

12. GoldFinger1969

I never noticed.......:D

13. kaparthy

Well, OK... the 2019 is much better... And looking again at the 2020, I realized that she is not being attacked by the French Rooster: it is the two-headed Eagle of the Romanovs trying to rip her arm. Makes sense...

14. beaver96

beaver96 Well-Known Member

As much as I liked the design I just couldn't bring myself to buy at the premium over spot. I do collect silver rounds and will pay up for a design that I like.

GoldFinger1969 and kaparthy like this.
  15. kaparthy

My snarky comments aside, I agree and I have also paid more for bullion items that I liked. Mostly, they were private issues from corporations that were given out as employee rewards or to valued customers. So, I understand the general interest.

Draft saved Draft deleted