General coin-related use of acetone questions

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Beefer518, Aug 19, 2017.

1. Beefer518

Beefer518 Well-Known Member

Do you guys/gals acetone every coin when you get it, or do you only do coins that have issues that can be handled with acetone? I know there are some folks who acetone every coin, and I'm starting to think it may be a good thing to do.

Can you mix coin compositions, or is each coin done separately?

Can you mix like coins in the same bath? ie, multiple silvers at once, multiple coppers at once, or again, is each coin done individually?

I know with this q, I'm beating a dead horse, but is a distilled water rinse necessary, or is a two step acetone bath good enough (acetone 1 for soak, acetone 2 for rinse)?

Feel free to add questions regarding acetone use, as this is all I can think of so far.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

I use a shot glass of acetone for each bath. Each coin may get 2 or 3 baths.

4. Maxfli

Maxfli Well-Known Member

I give all raw coins a bath. I stated the reasons why in another thread today, so I won't repeat it here. Post #46:

https://www.cointalk.com/threads/will-acetone-help.301486/page-3

Yes and yes, except I no longer use acetone with copper and bronze coins, ever since I experienced some discoloration with a couple of bronze coins. Some people claim it shouldn't be a problem, and they may be right, but to be safe I only use xylene on copper and bronze. It seems to performs the same function, and like acetone, it's safe to use on coins.

I always start with water first, but I can't offer a scientifically based argument for it. Just seems like the right thing to do.

This comment isn't necessarily directed at you, but there seems to be a lot of anxiety on this forum with regard to using acetone, and there shouldn't be. It doesn't react chemically with the metal in coins at all. All it does is loosen and help remove organic matter that may have accumulated on a coin's surface. I use acetone (or xylene) on every raw coin I buy, even UNC coins, because I don't know where the coin has been, how it's been stored, or what it may have been exposed to (including organic compounds that may not yet be visible to the naked eye).

green18 and ldhair like this.
  5. Beefer518

The bold section is sort of why I asked this. I was reading another thread (here or somewhere else), and it seems a LWC developed an ugly carbon spot right on Lincoln's cheek, after it was slabbed. One hypothesis was that a grader sneezed or something, and some organic matter (eww) got on the coin during the grading process. At which point it was suggested that the TPG's could offer an acetone dip just before slabbing.

I like the idea of giving every raw coin an acetone bath, and I think I'll start doing it.

6. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

Every raw coin I buy - regardless of composition - goes into acetone, individually, and has for many years. I don't buy in bulk; if I did, some new system would have to be worked out.

7. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

If you are going to do it, each and every coin needs to be done individually, each one in 3 different containers of clean acetone. And then a final rinse in distilled water, even though others may disagree with my suggestion of the final rinse.

And once used the acetone needs to be discarded - you never want to use it again.

The proper procedure is described in detail in this thread -
    https://www.cointalk.com/threads/proper-acetone-procedure.193708/

8. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

On my way to ground zero for the eclipse, I stopped at the Buffalo Trace distillery near Frankfort, KY. When my experimental drug trial is finished, I'll have better use for shot glasses. :D

Kentucky likes this.
  9. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

Otherwise, I only use acetone when it appears a coin has has organic junk on it. There is literally NOTHING I do to every coin. Each case is unique and original, and in my opinion doing ANYTHING to ALL coins is wasteful and intellectually lazy. Even doctors don't prescribe anything to everybody, but I hear Metformin may be getting close.

Insider likes this.
  10. Hiddendragon

Hiddendragon World coin collector

I hope you don't mind if I piggyback on this thread. Would acetone or any other product help these coins? I don't know how you'd describe what's going on with them, but it doesn't look good and they are otherwise good coins. 1907 jamaica farthing.jpg 1925 italy 50 centesimi.jpg

11. Maxfli

Maxfli Well-Known Member

Assuming we're talking about coins worth keeping, do you put ALL of your coins into some kind of protective device (flip, capsule, coin tube, TPG slab, etc.)? Or would that be intellectually lazy?

12. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

Hard to tell. Acetone only works on organic materials, not toning/corrosion. The bottom coin looks corroded. Not sure about the top, but my guess is that it acetone won't help much.

13. Jaelus

Jaelus The Hungarian Antiquarian Supporter

I use acetone on almost every coin before submitting them for grading. The exceptions are for some proofs, for coins with protective coatings as issued from the mint, or for coins that for some reason I am conserving via another method.

14. GDJMSP

Highly unlikely. The 1st looks to have been harshly cleaned already to me. And what remains appears to be, to me anyway, good old fashioned dirt and grime that normally accumulates on a coin in circulation. Usually, distilled water works best at removing that, but it can prove to be quite difficult at times to get off.

The 2nd coin looks to be darkly toned. It's possible someone may have tried to rub it off (which would make it harshly cleaned if they did), or it have toned that way because part of the coin was covered by something over the years. Regardless, about the only thing that will remove it is a coin dip. And if ya did that, you'd a very weird looking coin with little to no improvement at all. In fact it might even look worse.

And when people say that acetone works on "organic materials", well, yeah it does. But it depends on what those organic materials are ! There's a lot of "organic materials" that actone won't do a dang thing to, while distilled water often will. And there are other "organic materials" that acetone won't remove, but xylene will.

My point is this, organic materials is kind of a catch-all phrase that really shouldn't be used when is trying to tell others what acetone will do and not do. There is a short list of things that acetone will effectively remove and that's about it.

15. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

One member posted: "There seems to be a lot of anxiety on this forum with regard to using acetone, and there shouldn't be."

Actually there should be as very often removing any surface film (organic or not) with acetone can leave a coin less attractive.

@Hiddendragon I'd leave them alone, especially the 1925 counterfeit coin.

16. Beefer518

that could be a bit concerning...

17. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

The reason I do so is because the early stages of PVC plasticizer infection are undetectable, even though the chemical process is actually already happening. One could 2x2 and store an apparently good coin for a few years, and it would be eaten away by the time you next looked at it.

18. Hiddendragon

Why do you think it's counterfeit? It's not a rare date or anything. These were junk bin pickups last week. In hand the 1925 just looks like a regular coin covered in black, almost like it was in a fire or something.

19. Hiddendragon

I don't think the first one was cleaned. I could be wrong but in general old Jamaican coins look like crap more often than not. I think it's the climate and maybe what they were made from.

20. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

Google a genuine coin and check out the rims.

21. GDJMSP

I don't disagree with that. But the coin clearly shows all the signs of having been harshly cleaned. You can even see traces of the streaks left behind on the obv. And the rev., it looks like they started that side and gave up half way through.

Draft saved Draft deleted