[Game] World Coins Time Machine… Counting Backward by Year! (Plus Prize Coin)

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Curtisimo, Jun 14, 2017.

1. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

THAT was in your junk drawer :eek::eek::eek: would it be alright with you if I come over and go through your trash?? Lol jk

Cucumbor, DEA and panzerman like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

Actually, I used to collect a lot of different coins, from Canadian large cents/ tokens/ mintsets/ Morgan/ peace Dollars/ World stuff/ currency you name it, I would collect it. All these ended up there:happy: Except for my currency collection/ thats now with Heritage Auctions. That will then be converted to $$$ to buy a 3/4 Roman aurei:)
    Well, I am glad I rumaged thru it, at least we can move on to 55/ unless Lordmarcovan wins his 56.

FitzNigel and Curtisimo like this.
  4. FitzNigel

FitzNigel Medievalist

Well, this pause reminded me that I have a 1554 too... now if
    I can just beat all the others!

panzerman and Curtisimo like this.
  5. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

Well, here's my 1555 then (I guess we'll not have much of 1556 anymore ;) )

[​IMG]
    Henri II (1547-1559) - Teston 1555 M Atelier de Toulouse (M)
    . HENRICVS II . D . G . FRANCO . REX, buste cuirassé a droite
    XPS . VINCIT . XPS . REGNAT . XPS . IMPER coeur sur croissant, ecu de France couronné accosté de deux H couronnés. M a la pointe de l'ecu
    9.49 gr
    Ref : Ciani # 1271v

Q

jj00, DEA, talerman and 2 others like this.
  6. FitzNigel

FitzNigel Medievalist

Aha! 1554:
    02-Hun-Ferdinand I-AR-D-01.jpg
    Hungary
    Ferdinand I, r. 1526-1564 (1554)
    Kremnitz Mint, AR Denier, 15.82mm x 0.3 grams
    Obv.: FERDINAND· D·G·R· VNG· 1554·, Coat of arms
    Rev.: PATRONA· * ·VNGARIE, Madonna and Child, mintmark K B on either side

jj00, Siberian Man, Cucumbor and 6 others like this.
  7. bsting

bsting Never enough coins.lol

Thinking about buying a coin from 1553 just so I can play! Lol

Curtisimo and Chris B like this.
  8. panzerman

I have to wait until 1551....but its a goodie.

Curtisimo likes this.
  9. talerman

talerman Well-Known Member

Those Philip and Mary coins are usually in horrible condition. Yours is really nice.

Curtisimo likes this.
  10. PaddyB

PaddyB Eccentric enthusiast

Talking of which, here is my slightly less good Philip and Mary sixpence dated 1554:

Philip & Mary Sixpence S2505 2.JPG Philip & Mary Sixpence S2505 1.JPG

jj00, Curtisimo, Siberian Man and 3 others like this.
  11. talerman

For some reason I did not get notified about all the action on this thread in the last week.

Here is a 1557

Austria-Hungary TYROL Ferdinand I, King of Rome (1531-58) - before becoming Emperor Taler of 72 Kreuzer 1557

Austria Hungary Ferd I Tyrol Taler of 72 Kr 1557 obv 082.jpg

Austria Hungary Ferd I Tyrol Taler of 72 Kr 1557 rev 084.jpg

2 little coins from 1556

TRANSYLVANIA Johann II Sigismund ( Johann II Sigismund von Zapolya ruled under the regency of his mother, Isabella, from 1556-59. He used the title King of Hungary even though he only ruled Transylvania, with the rest being controlled by Habsburg Austria)

Transylvania Johann II Denar 1556 obv  129.jpg

Transylvania Johann II Denar 1556 rev  130.jpg

Italy MONTALCINO Henri II of France, Protector (1554-59) Parpagliola 1556

Siena revolted against Emperor Charles V in 1552 and, after chasing out the Spanish garrison, put itself under the protection of France, who sent a small army under Blaise de Montluc. When the city was forced to capitulate after a siege in 1555, Montluc and his Siena supporters moved to Montalcino. After Henri II withdrew from Italy and gave up almost all his Italian claims under the Treaty of Cateau-Cambresis in 1559, Montalcino had to surrender and was incorporated into the duchy of Tuscany.

Montalcino Henri II Parpagliola 1556 obv 310.jpg

Montalcino Henri II Parpagliola 1556 rev 311.jpg

jj00, Curtisimo, Siberian Man and 6 others like this.
  12. talerman

Germany BRUNSWICK-WOLFENBUTTEL Heinrich the Younger & Erich the Younger of Calenberg (Heinrich IX the Younger was Duke in Wolfenbuttel (1514-68) while his cousin Erich II the Younger was Duke in Calenburg (1540-84). 1/4 Taler (6 Groschen) 1555

Brunswick Hein the ynger v Wolf & Erich v Cal QtrTaler 1555 obv 026.jpg Brunswick Hein the ynger v Wolf & Erich v Cal QtrTaler 1555 rev 027.jpg

Germany AUGSBURG, Imperial Mint Ludwig II of Stolberg, Pledgeholder (1535-74) 3 Kreuzer 1554

In 1431 King Sigismund, unable to pay debts of 5450 Gulden, pledged or pawned the three southern Imperial mints of Nordlingen, Frankfurt and Basel. In 1515 the Basel mint was transferred to Augsburg. In 1535 Ludwig, count of Stolberg (1538-74) and in Koenigstein-Rochefort (1544-74)., inherited the pledged mints from Eberhard von Eppstein-Koenigstein. In 1544 the Eppstein territories in Koenigstein were divided between Stolberg & Mainz. At Ludwig's death the mints were given to the city authorities.

Augsburg Imp Mint Lud II 3 Kreuzer 1554 obv 655.jpg

Augsburg Imp Mint Lud II 3 Kreuzer 1554 rev 658.jpg

13. talerman

Germany BRANDENBURG IN FRANCONIA Albrecht Alcibiades Uniface Field Taler Klippe 1553 probably struck in Schweinfurt

Albrecht Alciobiades, a warlike figure, fought on the Emperor's side in the war against the Schmalkaldic League. However, he then deserted the Emperor and joined the League led by Moritz of Saxony in alliance with the French to overthrow the Emperor. When this campaign ended with the Peace of Passau in Aug, 1552, he deserted his allies and began a campaign of plunder in Franconia to extend his territories, leading to the 2nd Margraves' War. He was eventually defeated in 1553 by a league led by Saxony and fled to France, losing all his lands.

Brand in Franc Alb Alcibiades Field Talerklippe 1553 with Zollern arms 156.jpg

France Barony of FRANQUEMONT Nicolas de Gilley (1537-63) Liard 1553

Franquemont Liard 1553 obv  141.jpg

Franquemont Liard 1553 rev  143.jpg

14. panzerman

Impressive history behind those coins:happy: and also great coins in excellent state of preservation:):):):):) I will have some Brandenburg-Franconia when we get to 1516.

Curtisimo and DEA like this.
  15. talerman

By the time we get to 1516, we will need all the help we can get !

Curtisimo likes this.
  16. Chris B

Chris B Supporter! Supporter

I have a 1551 waiting....patiently.

Curtisimo likes this.
  17. talerman

OK, Chris B, before you get impatient

1552 Germany SAXONY, Ernestine Line Johann Friedrich I alone 1/2 Taler
    Note scar from battle wound on cheek below eye

Saxony Ern Johann Fried alone Halbtaler with wound 1552 obv  846.jpg Saxony Ern Johann Fried alone Halbtaler with wound 1552 rev  847.jpg

jj00, Stork, Curtisimo and 5 others like this.
  18. Chris B

Thank you.

Of course, it is a Wildman but it is probably the scarcest one that I have.

GerBru155101.jpg

jj00, Stork, Curtisimo and 6 others like this.
  19. talerman

Love Wildmen. What is the mint ? I can't see a mintmark but perhaps I am missing it.

Curtisimo likes this.
  20. Chris B

I'm not sure. That isn't in my notes. Musn't have ever found that. It is a Heinrich the Younger piece.

Curtisimo likes this.
  21. DEA

DEA Well-Known Member

If this 3rd edition of SC of German Coins 1501-Present is accurate, the mint may be Riechenberg. Apparently somewhere on that coin should be "stag rampant left holding ingot hook." Or maybe the Goslar mint - some sort of symbol that looks like a necklace (a V shape) with a cactus hanging at the lower part of the V.

Curtisimo, panzerman and Chris B like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted