Hungarian "Madonna & Child" denars: fun and affordable early-dated silver coins

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by lordmarcovan, Aug 9, 2017.

1. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

In 2015 I very briefly attempted a casual sideline collection of these, to see how far I could get towards a date set. I did not pursue it for very long, and did not get far before I ended up swapping the partial set away (my primary "Eclectic Box" collection takes precedence).

But these were a lot of fun in the brief time I collected them. I was lucky enough to pick up a number of attractively toned pieces dirt cheap, too (less than ten dollars each for some of the high-grade "rainbow toners" seen below!)

These are delightful coins with early dates (in an era when coins were not often dated), struck in silver, with an appealing design. True, they're small, and are often crudely engraved, but that just adds to their character. And even today, prices still aren't that much higher than they were in the early 1980s when I was a teenager and bought my first examples.

Word to my Young Numismatist friends out there - if you are a teenager (or just a collector who's "young at heart" and on a limited budget), you might want to consider these. They pack quite a bit of "bang for the buck" and are a surprisingly affordable way to collect some 400-500 year-old late-medieval silver quite cheaply. Check 'em out sometime.

Informational link:

"The Coins and Kings of Hungary" by David P. Ruckser (Numismatas.com.)
    Nice free e-book. May be slow to load because it's a 147-page PDF! The dated denars start around page 106. (2023 edit- dead link now. Sorry)

[​IMG]

1505-KH
    [​IMG]

1516-KG (this and the 1527 below were my favorites! Check out the 1580, too.)
    [​IMG]

1519-KG
    [​IMG]

1520-KG
    [​IMG]

1525-KB
    [​IMG]

1526-BA
    [​IMG]

1527-LK
    [​IMG]

1547-KB
    [​IMG]

1565-KB
    [​IMG]

1567-KB
    [​IMG]

1569-KB
    [​IMG]

1572-KB
    [​IMG]

1574-KB
    [​IMG]

1576-KB
    [​IMG]

1579-KB
    [​IMG]

1580-KB
    [​IMG]

1581-KB
    [​IMG]

1586-KB
    [​IMG]

1592-KB
    [​IMG]

(continued below...)

Kurisu, Chris B, spirityoda and 12 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. lordmarcovan

1638-KB
    [​IMG]

1640-KB
    [​IMG]

I mean, I got some of those awesome toners for like seven or eight bucks apiece! Tell me that's not insanely lucky! (And yes, they were authentic coins.) I suspect my potential eBay competitors were scared off because the seller was in Eastern Europe and wanted $10 shipping. But he combined shipping for multiple wins, so I only had to pay the ten bucks once for all of the auctions I won, and I snapped up a whole bunch of these - the nicest ones shown above - all from that same seller.

Did I get lucky? Sure I did. However, the nice thing about these cool little coins is that they're quite readily available - even in high grade - for not very much. (Though I haven't often seen toners like the ones above.) Even a PCGS- or NGC-certified Mint State piece will only cost you in the low- to mid-$100s, usually. Typical circulated examples can usually be had for $25 or less, and if you're lucky, like I was, even under $10 occasionally (especially if you buy small bulk lots).

I'm also told there are no real "stoppers" to assembling a long date run, maybe even all of the 1500s. (Or, for the really ambitious, the whole run from 1503 to 1696!) In my experience, the 1600s pieces were actually a little bit tougher than the ones from the 1500s.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2017
  4. lordmarcovan

Oh- I also had some Gardmaster 30-pocket album pages. I like these because they have a tab for a date label beneath each pocket. The pages are rather small, so while they had holes that fit my standard 3-ring binder, one could also use them in a smaller album. I don't know if they would fit inside a Dansco-sized album or not. It looks like it.

For those unfamiliar with the Gardmaster pages (which are marketed primarily to Canadian coin collectors), the rows (in this case, six coin slots per row) slide in and out of the page, so you don't need flips or anything like that.

This is how one of the pages looked early in my pursuit of this set. These pockets would fit a US or Canadian sized quarter, at the maximum. These Hungarian denars are about the size of a US half dime or Canadian silver 5c piece.

[​IMG]

5. FitzNigel

FitzNigel Medievalist

I like the idea as an entry-way into silver hammered coins for those accustomed to collecting moderns coins by date and mint mark. Other Hungarian coins that came earlier are neat too! I don't have any of those, but do have one if the coins you posted above, which I found in an antique shop for something like $15 (and it's a date you are missing!):

02-Hun-Ferdinand I-AR-D-01.jpg
    Hungary
    Ferdinand I, r. 1526-1564 (1554)
    Kremnitz Mint, AR Denier, 15.82mm x 0.3 grams
    Obv.: FERDINAND· D·G·R· VNG· 1554·, Coat of arms
    Rev.: PATRONA· * ·VNGARIE, Madonna and Child, mintmark K B on either side

6. lordmarcovan

A date I was missing. I no longer have these, so now I suppose you could say I'm missing all those dates. ;)

$15 seems to be about par for the course. I'd say you got a pretty nice one for that price. Yours has a touch of color, too.

7. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

I bought a few groups lots of these about 20 years ago with the same idea of putting together a date set. I kept the diff dates and sold the duplicates on ebay. I'll have to see how many different dates I have.

8. sonlarson

sonlarson World Silver Collector

This is one I picked up to add to my "6 Century Birth Year" Collection. 1552, I paid $10 for it. I wish it had the nice toning yours did but that wasn't my objective at the time.

Hungary 1552 Denar.jpg

My 6 Century Birth Year Set. In descending order.
    6 Century Birth Year Set.jpg

9. lordmarcovan

A most excellent idea.

You sorely tempt me to try that myself. In my case, it would be '65 dated coins. (Rats, I should've kept that 1565 denar above, huh? Oh well - guess this means I'll have to buy another, now, and try this "birthyear century" thing. LOL)

For ten bucks on that 1552, you did great! I mean, c'mon - how could anyone in their right mind pass up such a coin for ten bucks, right? These so often fall into "no brainer" territory, they're so ridiculously cheap.

Tell me about that interesting, patinated copper which must be from 1452.

10. sonlarson

sonlarson World Silver Collector

Since I was unable to find a coin marked with the actual "date" of 1452, I had to find something that was attributed to that date. Needing a Silver coin was also a challenge. This was the closest I could find that met both requirements.

From my notes:

Condensed version:

Sicily Denaro
    Billon Coin containes a trace of silver but mostly copper or bronze.
    Believed to have been minted during the reign of Frederick III. Called the Peaceful, he was the Holy Roman Emperor of the House of Habsburg from 1452 until his death in 1493.

Complete version:

"The House of Habsburg (/'hæbs.b?rg/; German pronunciation: ['ha?ps.b??k]), also spelled Hapsburg,[1] was one of the most important royal houses of Europe. The throne of the Holy Roman Empire was continuously occupied by the Habsburgs between 1438 and 1740. The house also produced emperors and kings of the Kingdom of Bohemia, Kingdom of England (Jure uxoris King), Kingdom of France {Queen consort}, Kingdom of Germany, Kingdom of Hungary, Empire of Russia, Kingdom of Croatia, Second Mexican Empire, Kingdom of Ireland, Kingdom of Portugal, and Habsburg Spain, as well as rulers of several Dutch and Italian principalities.

Frederick III (21 September 1415 – 19 August 1493), called the Peaceful, was the Holy Roman Emperor from 1452 until his death. Prior to his imperial coronation, he was hereditary Duke of Austria (as Frederick V) from 1424 and elected King of Germany (as Frederick IV) from 1440.[1] He was the first emperor of the House of Habsburg. In 1493, he was succeeded by his son Maximilian I after ten years of joint rule.

Alfonso V was crowned in 1416 and ruled for forty-two years; in 1442 the Sicilian and Neapolitan crowns were united under him. Henceforth the Kingdom of Sicily was politically linked to peninsular Italy, and one spoke of the kingdoms "of Naples and Sicily" or even the "two Sicilies." But for the most part the rulers remained in Spain; Aragon and Castile were united in 1479 to form the cornerstone of what was to become the Kingdom of Spain. Soon the Spanish kings would send governors and viceroys to administer Sicily on their behalf. Alfonso was a slightly more generous patron of learning and the arts than his immediate predecessors, and founded the University of Catania, but the Sicilians had to bear the cost of his petty wars against the maritime cities of northern Italy."

Chris B, Zed McJack and lordmarcovan like this.
  11. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

some sweet toning on many of those, very nice.

lordmarcovan likes this.
  12. lordmarcovan

This one was in my swapstock recently and is headed off to @NLL soon. It is a 1536-KB, so not a date I had while assembling the short-lived collection above.

20180719_091404.jpg 20180719_091448.jpg

Here's a poorly focused cellphone shot with a Lincoln cent, to give some general idea of size, if you're less familiar with these.

(About the same size as an old USA half dime or Canadian silver 5-cent piece, in other words, if you are familiar with those.)

20180719_091649.jpg

Curtisimo likes this.
  13. Jaelus

Jaelus The Hungarian Antiquarian Supporter

Lovely!

I prefer the crowned shield design of the Mátyás II denars (1608-1619).

Several people in my Hungarian club collect these by date (the 1600s are tougher), including a couple kids. You can also easily expand the set to include the myriad of earlier dateless types, many of which are also very affordable.

lordmarcovan and sonlarson like this.
  14. Voulgaroktonou

Voulgaroktonou Well-Known Member

What a wonderful post, Lordmarcovan! Although this is not my chief area of interest, I too love these denars for all the reasons you have given. I decided to put together a date collection from the first dated denar in 1503 but I stop at 1550. I had to stop somewhere, and decided that after that date...well, the coins just looked more modern to me. I also have what seems to be an unrecorded date of 1500, and I enclose a photo below. If any more experienced students of this coinage can comment on it, I would be very grateful.

First, my coins from 1503 - 1512
    1503-1512o.JPG
    1503-1512r.JPG

Next, my "1500".
    1500o.JPG
    1500r.JPG

and lastly, a comparison of my "1500", with a 1506 and a 1508. Perhaps the last number of my "1500" is a 6? There is something going on with the flan above that last number, but under a loop I can't really see evidence that it is a deformed 6. But as I said, I am neophyte at these, so I would welcome any comments from someone more experienced!

1500oo.JPG

Chris B, spirityoda, VRSilver and 5 others like this.
  15. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

Very Nice set. I think the last digit may be a 6 due to the flan problems that you mentioned. Your pictures of the coin next to an actual 1506 was helpful

VRSilver and lordmarcovan like this.
  16. Siberian Man

Siberian Man Senior Member

King Matthias (1458-1490).
    Denar without the date (such coins were released at 1482-86).
    195.jpg 196.jpg

17. tibor

tibor Supporter! Supporter

While LM is correct that there are no stoppers
    in a date run from 1503-1696, dates after 1580-
    1585 going toward 1696 will be tough and
    sometimes very tough to find if the collector
    wishes uniform quality all the way through.
    It is surprising how easy it is to find in really
    nice shape the first 60 years of these little
    treasures. At the 1991 there were two different
    dealers that "ZipLock" bags full of them. I went
    through 3 different bags that each had over 300
    in each bag. There must have been a hoard of
    them found a year or two earlier. The ones LM
    shows here are some of the nicest I've seen. I
    wish I could have bought some for my collection.

lordmarcovan and Jaelus like this.
  18. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

I have a couple of these I got fairly cheap (<$10) and interesting to have a dated coin from the 1500's.

lordmarcovan likes this.
  19. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

I notice your 1504 uses the old style representation for a "4"

lordmarcovan likes this.
  20. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

That 1516 is probably my favorite. Some really cool coins here!

Although, the ghostly visage of Madonna reminds me of something decidedly more modern:

[​IMG]

lordmarcovan and Curtisimo like this.
  21. Jaelus

Jaelus The Hungarian Antiquarian Supporter

This thread inspired me to get back into my denár set.

I've started posting them here: https://collectivecoin.com/Jaelus/dy1tShkYxacx7VQjtipR

Can't tell as easily from the quick cell phone pics I took, but the 1511 is a superb monster toner. Some of the other coins are nice colorful toners as well.

lordmarcovan likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted