[Game] World Coins Time Machine… Counting Backward by Year! (Plus Prize Coin)

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Curtisimo, Jun 14, 2017.

1. talerman

talerman Well-Known Member

Another coin of Erik XIV of SWEDEN

1562 3 Mark with a view of Stockholm on reverse

Sweden Erik XIV 3 Mark 1562 obv 070.jpg Sweden Erik XIV 3 Mark 1562 rev 071.jpg

wcg, DEA, Jimski and 7 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. The Seeker

The Seeker Member

4. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

5. lordmarcovan

BTW, I missed my chance to play 1565, and I think I'm on the sidelines until 1547 or so.

6. coin_nut

coin_nut Well-Known Member

Go ahead and slip in that 65, LM. I think no one will complain. Such has happened on here before. I would like to see it.

DEA likes this.
  7. lordmarcovan

OK, thanks. 1565-KB Hungarian denar.

An inexpensive but fun coin, as these tend to be. Cost me less than twelve bucks.

We now resume play from 1562.

[​IMG]

Jimski, PaddyB, panzerman and 3 others like this.
  8. Siberian Man

Siberian Man Senior Member

Lithuania.
    45.jpg 46.jpg

DEA, Jimski, talerman and 4 others like this.
  9. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

Love the Lithuanian coin, Siberian Man!

10. panzerman

11. lordmarcovan

I've got a 1550 dated example of one of those Lithuanians, so I'll stand by for a while ... ;)

@panzerman- that denar wasn't even one of my nice ones! I got some of the awesomely toned ones here for crazy-cheap prices, like $8-9!

Some might make an appearance here later.

Jimski likes this.
  12. panzerman

DEA likes this.
  13. Siberian Man

Siberian Man Senior Member

Thanks Sir!

panzerman likes this.
  14. jgenn

jgenn World Crown Collector

1560 thaler of Ferdinand I, Holy Roman Emperor, Archduke of Austria, King of Hungary and Croatia and King of Bohemia. It was minted in the birthplace of thalers, Joachimsthal, or Saint Joachim's Valley, now known as Jáchymov in the Czech Republic, where the production of silver coins of this size began in 1518, patterned after the popular guldengroschen. Thaler, from "thal", meaning valley, became the nickname for coins of this type from Joachimsthal and other silver producing valleys in the region. A modernization change in German dropped the "h" from words like these so the term "taler" is the same thing. "Daalder", "daler" and "dollar" are thought to derivative terms.

1560_AT_1THa.jpg

jj00, wcg, DEA and 3 others like this.
  15. talerman

43 mm. 30.67 g.

There is also a 1 1/2 Mark with the same design but 37 mm and 15.07 g.

Sweden Erik XIV  1 and a half Mark 1562 obv 258.jpg Sweden Erik XIV  1 and a half Mark 1562 rev 260.jpg

DEA, wcg and PaddyB like this.
  16. talerman

Things are moving fast here. I would like to post my 1561 coin

FRANCE Teston de Dauphiné of Charles IX but struck in name of his predecessor Henri II.

In the 16th century the French seemed to have trouble approving, producing and distributing dies with the bust of a new king. Mints continued to strike coins with the busts of the previous king. Henri II died in July 1559. His son, François II, died at the age of 17 , perhaps from meningitis, after reigning for only 17 months. The mint had not got around to producing a new design and all the coins of his reign were struck in his father's name. (However, he had married Mary, Queen of Scots, at the age of 15 and the more efficient Scots struck a teston and half teston in 1560 in the name of Francis and Mary, although with no portraits). François II was succeeded by his brother Charles IX who ruled from December 1560 to May 1574. This time the process was quicker and the first coins in Charles' own name were issued in late 1561. However, coins were also struck in his father Henri's name in 1560 and 1561 and in some mints even in 1562. This is one such coin, struck in 1561 in Toulouse.

France Chas IX in name of Henri II Teston de Dauphine 1561 obv 671.jpg France Chas IX in name of Henri II Teston de Dauphine 1561 rev 672.jpg

DEA, Chris B, Jimski and 1 other person like this.
  17. panzerman

I am learning something new everyday:happy: You have very high quality material Talerman. I am "unemployed" now since we have January weather in November here in snowy Canada. Now I have more free time to spend on coins and....snowmobiling:happy: and walking Thor. I just sold this rare US Swallowtail butterfly for 5K US, able to buy a nice coin! I am in process of selling my extensive butterfly/ moth collection to make more $ for coins my favorite hobby. d1d9ea5fdd3e951a6497e4798e8fea08.jpg 2017-Arctic-Cat-M6000-Sno-Pro.jpg 89d9cf9be027bda9409fc2d467e34adf.jpg

wcg, DEA and Jimski like this.
  18. talerman

You obviously have a well developed collector gene! One advantage of the coins versus chasing butterflies in Canada is that they are available year round, although I see there is also a lively market in dead butterflies. Good looking dog, who appears able to guard both !

panzerman likes this.
  19. panzerman

Actually, that "good looking dog" is more a "big baby". But, with a Rottweiler its best to have them as gentle lap dogs. Recently, a Japanese collector paid 45K US for a papilio elephenor! (a rare Indian papilio) Back to coins, I am having a hard time finding a perfect MS Goldgulden from my home town of Julich (Julich-Cleve-Berg) The ones from Koln are easy to find in auctions.

20. talerman

Sorry, can't help you on Julich. I assume Cologne had a much bigger population so it is not surprising they are more common.
    On the French coins struck in the name of an earlier king, there is quite a bit of gold for you: Henri d'or (and double and half ) in the name of Henri II during the reigns of François II and Charles IX, écus d'or and demi-écus in the name of Charles IX in the reign of Henri III and in the name of Henri III in the reign of Henri IV. There was also an écu d'or struck in the name of Henri III after his death by the Catholic League in opposition to the Protestant candidate for king, Charles X, but that is a longer and more complicated story. Do you have some of these ?

DEA and panzerman like this.
  21. panzerman

I ONLY have this one from Charles IX 1567 St-Lo Mint e81eda2478cf0c7efb0f003d8aa1e1c1.jpg

DEA, coin_nut and talerman like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted