Future Bullion Folks

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by Randy Abercrombie, Mar 22, 2021.

1. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

Some were. Most melting was done by the government. I am simply skeptical. I have seen simply hundreds of bags of such stuff being sold. They stay in the bags, no need to melt. I myself have rolls and rolls of BU rolls from the 60s in my junk silver pile. I wager there are thousands like me. "Melt" is a valuation method, not desire. Why melt coins when they are worth more as a coin? Common coins are and have always been worth more than a bar of silver. Most melted silver IMHO is scrap, silverware, etc.

slackaction1 and -jeffB like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

This could be your chance for fame!!!

-jeffB likes this.
  4. capthank

capthank Well-Known Member

Today a half dollar (50 cents) 1964 and earlier are worth $8 dollars in silver. You bet I'll melt for that price!

5. rte

rte Well-Known Member

Someplace there is a picture of metal cans loaded with coinage headed for the smelter, probably from the late 70ies/ 80ies.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2022
  6. slackaction1

slackaction1 Supporter! Supporter

Keep melting then, makes mine worth more with every drip!!

7. Jim Dale

Jim Dale Well-Known Member

I don't know if this is too off topic, but, since I became a coin collector, I keep all my coins that come from the change I get when I purchase something. I have a lot of coins that are dated after 1964 (except the Kennedy Half Dollars 65-70). My wife keeps a mason jar for the change I give her. I don't know how many full mason jars she has. I'm the culprit that has caused a shortage of coins that could be used for change. Before I put a coin in her mason jar, I give it a "look-over" to see if there is something about it that needs to be put into my coin collection.
    Anyway, yesterday, I went to a Dollar General (I don't know if this store is localized or regional or national. It's a modern-day five and dime store.) Getting back to my story, I bought some tape that cost me $5.89, so I gave her a $5 and $1. I was told they didn't have change. Well, I saw her cash register and all of the "pockets" were full. She even had a couple of Kennedys. Anyway, I asked her to give me my money back. Some how, she magically found a dime and a penny. We have about 5 of these stores and each of them have a cup that you can "round up". Anyway, at the end of the day, those coins either go to the store or to the pockets of the cashier.
    Like I said, I'm sorry about getting "off topic", but I'm curious if any of you have seen this action in your stores. (My wife pays for everything with her VISA.)

8. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

Most everywhere I know of leaves the pennies in the jar overnight for the next day. I do not see them putting them in the till or their pockets. Due to sales tax, a penny jar like this speeds them up.

9. Jim Dale

Jim Dale Well-Known Member

Back in the early 70's, I worked in a convenience store. At the end of our shift, we would count the cash in the drawer and compare it to the cash register tape to see if we were over or short. I was very meticulous about counting the money I was given after each sale. Very seldom was I over or short. There was no cup for extra change in those days. If you were short or over too many times, you would be asked to find work somewhere else. There was one incident where a store was also dollars short. How we caught it was when we saw a "paid out slip" (Paid Out Slips were those records when a customer wanted a refund and they would fill out a slip to be counted to balance the cash register.) I was working in the home office and I supervised 10 accounting clerks. The accounting clerks would check documents that stores were sent in and they were compared to the deposits.) We didn't have computers then. Anyway, I worked with the accounting clerk and we found and abundant amount of the paid out slips that over a month, accounted for $100 or more. This was a police officer working part time for us. Employees signed an agreement to have a lie detector test. As a police officer, he probably felt he could fool the lie detector. Well, he didn't. My boss called his boss and they decided to watch him the next week. As you can imagine, he got caught in the act and was arrested. It goes to show you that even small amounts of coins can temp you sometimes.

longshot likes this.
  10. Kentucky

I bake a lot of mine...
    They are redder in-hand
    [​IMG]

capthank likes this.
  11. capthank

What temp? How long?

Kentucky likes this.
  12. Kentucky

Electric oven, on some Al foil directly below the element, set temp for 450 and you can remove (careful...hot) when it comes to temp.

capthank likes this.
  13. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Anyone want to guess what an airfyer would make one look like lol

Kentucky likes this.
  14. Kentucky

go for it...experiments are fun!

15. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

I like my airfryer though haha

Kentucky likes this.
  16. capthank

Thanks. Never baked a coin before but might try.

Kentucky likes this.
  17. Dynoking

Dynoking Well-Known Member

Why? What does this do
    to the coin?

Kentucky likes this.
  18. GoldFinger1969

GoldFinger1969 Well-Known Member

I don't know the numbers for silver coin collectors vs. gold ones....but I do recall that with regards to Saints and Liberty gold coins:
    • There are several hundred to maybe 1,500 SERIOUS collectors who want all the issues of a coin (if possible) and want high quality, too.
    • There are about 25,000 Type Collectors who want coins of various years and mints, sometimes in mint state or other top condition.
    • There are hundreds of thousands of bullion investors who are OK accepting low-graded Saints and Liberty's as substitutes for gold bullion.
    Because of the lower silver price, I think there are more of the 2nd and 3rd types of collectors.

So.....given huge mint numbers for various silver coins...and given the large quantities in low-grades....I think those can be melted down without worry that we will regret it decades later. Besides, that would only happen if the price of the underlying metals were much higher meaning that all coins -- even crappy condition ones -- were valued highly by a much larger collecting base (like what happened in the 1970's).

I don't see this as a repeat of the horrific 1933-37 gold coin melting which was a crime committed by FDR.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2022
  19. Kentucky

Makes them interesting, I just put them back into circulation.

Dynoking likes this.
  20. Dynoking

Dynoking Well-Known Member

Ok, first chuckle of the day for me, thanks!

Kentucky likes this.
  21. rte

rte Well-Known Member

Easy bake oven approved annealing?

Kentucky likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted