Future Bullion Folks

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by Randy Abercrombie, Mar 22, 2021.

1. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

I buy a decent amount of “junk silver”. I know a fellow that buys abandoned storage rooms and when he finds old silver coins, he sells them to me at a deal...... Twice now when my stack becomes a bit too much I’ll carry several pounds to my dealer and swap for some gold...... He has told me that he immediately sends them off to a smelter because the price is so volatile.

I am betting that this same scenario plays out with dealers all across the country. I wonder if future bullion/coin folks will be unhappy with us for destroying so many common silver coins?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

Depends on how worn they are and their dates I guess.

xCoin-Hoarder'92x and spirityoda like this.
  4. GH#75

GH#75 Trying to get 8 hours of sleep in 4. . .

If they're common, being destroyed will make them rarer. I honestly wouldn't smelt them, I really like silver coins. But I understand why people do it. In 50 years, a common silver coin might be worth a whole lot more because people melted them down until there were few left.

5. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

I'll offer up my opinion that doing so has the potential to gradually create unanticipated scarcities for once common coins. Admittedly, it takes a lot of years of melting of a lot of coins to do so, but absent a mechanism for monitoring the populations going to the smelter, it's impossible to know what common dates not to send to the melting pot.

While one may question how meaningful the resultant decline in a common date may turn out to be, one only need examine some of the high mintage dates in obsolete coinage which were thought to be common, yet are unexpectedly elusive.

GH#75, Randy Abercrombie and ldhair like this.
  6. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

Sorry @GH#75 . . . we were both writing essentially the same thing at the same time.

GH#75 and Randy Abercrombie like this.
  7. Inspector43

Inspector43 Celebrating 75 Years Active Collecting Supporter

I thought it was illegal to melt coins for silver or copper. Am I right or wrong?

Last edited: Mar 22, 2021
  8. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

I have always wondered how much actually goes to a smelter. I'll guess it happens a lot if the dealer has a local smelter.

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
  9. slackaction1

slackaction1 Supporter! Supporter

It is not illegal to melt U.S. silver coinage for its metal value. It was illegal from 1967 to 1969 to do so, during which time the government recalled as much silver coinage from circulation as it could.

10. longarm

longarm Well-Known Member

11. 1stSgt22

1stSgt22 I'm just me!

I have mixed feelings about this! As a coin collector I would rather see identifiable coins left in circulation, but I can understand some people wanting the bullion. For me the bottom line is if I have bullion I'm stuck with the current bullion value. If I have the coins I still have the bullion option as well as a possible collectors value! Newbies are always looking for low end coins to start!!

12. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

I can't wait until my 1964P Quarters are worth waaaaaaaaaay more than melt value :)

13. Randy Abercrombie

Furry..... Uuummm.... I don't think that will happen anytime soon! It kills me that most of the 64 dimes and quarters I send off as bullion are in remarkably nice condition!

Inspector43 likes this.
  14. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

Well, you keep sending them off to be melted and I will keep stacking the ones I find in circulation :p
    I haven't come across a worn 64 dime or quarter yet. Most look almost brand new.

15. potty dollar 1878

potty dollar 1878 Well-Known Member

^^^Roll finds, mine don't look that good 2 out of the 3 don't even have luster, I wouldn't call them worn yet. 20210322_094913.jpg 20210322_094958.jpg

xCoin-Hoarder'92x and spirityoda like this.
  16. J.T. Parker

J.T. Parker Well-Known Member

Randy,
    If the bulk of the silver coins are foreign I would suggest purchasing an older Krause-Mischler catalogue and check them for rarity. You might be sending to the smelter just one coin that would pay for the entire lot.
    J.T.

17. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Sounds like a racket to me. Lol

18. Inspector43

Inspector43 Celebrating 75 Years Active Collecting Supporter

I can't imagine destroying a coin or a book.

19. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

Just because it gets sent to a smelter does not means it gets melted. Some of the largest sources of junk silver bags are smelters. Smelters can protect against volatility by using futures. Silver coins, especially US ones, have higher value than things like broken silver sets or mismatched silverware. I know a couple of smelters and they haven't melted US coins in years.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2021
  20. Randy Abercrombie

I sure didn’t know that. Makes me feel much better about the whole thing. Awesome info.

21. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

Some melt world coins, damaged coins, etc. Sometimes to round out an order and junk is moving slow they might melt, but most of the time they become junk silver bags. I would do the same, maximize your profit from the junk stream coming at you. Smart business.

There have been times in the past massive melts happened. I remember reading of thousands of bags of BU Morgans being melted in the late 70s since there was not a market for them when the silver price rose, but that is unusual.

Draft saved Draft deleted