Featured From the Stoeklin and Naegeli Collections

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Curtisimo, Oct 6, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

Hello bruthajoe,

I guess I am not sure what specifically you mean? In terms of acceptability, if you are coming from a modern collector perspective I think there are a lot of things that you may have been conditioned to find unacceptable about a coin that are perfectly acceptable and even desirable to an ancient collector.

My new OP coin has a nice dark patina, but as you mention, there are parts that a lighter color is visible on the high points. This may be from the friction of a coin flip or even from rubbing against the drawer of a coin cabinet being opened and closed or even from the cleaning process. This coin has spent more than a century in multiple collections and before that was cleaned after being buried in the ground for 1700 years. Considering this I find the patina on this coin not only acceptable but a big part of what attracted me to the coin in the first place.

If you've never owned an ancient coin you might find that you can enjoy owning a piece of history and that you don't need to be so concerned about the arbitrary rules that govern modern collecting norms. It's a slippery slope from there my friend.

Roman Collector and Ryro like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

Apologies to all for not circling back to this thread sooner. Thanks for all the great posts and awesome coins. Just for kicks I’ll go ahead and kick in my favorite and oft posted Stoeklin coin (I have 4 and counting), my most nakedly standing Genius and my most favorite collector tag ever.
    B5EFA376-C220-4C6B-A8D0-3C541228D6F2.jpeg
    Ex Stoeklin

65A5C6C1-DACD-4A97-A3F5-2FC46AC79FD4.jpeg
    This Genius has no shame

09D88B15-BA0D-46DF-A391-89AE7FBFF8B2.jpeg

Absolutely epic...

4. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Well, this is embarrassing.... I just realized that I had neglected to share the flipside template with you. :shy: Anyway, here it is below. You'll notice that the central boss of the shield design has ample space to place an image of one side of your coin. Of course, once you print it out on a 2" x 2" tag it'll be more of a central pellet than a central boss, but if you look you really hard, you should still be able to tell that it's a coin. You're welcome!

Zumbly Collection tag 2.jpg

5. IMP Shogun

IMP Shogun Well-Known Member

The Stoecklin collection must have been very impressive. There are coins of his that pop up from time to time like the Roma auction today. While the coins in Roma appear to be from large lots of prior Nomos auctions, they are still very impressive and quite varied.

Edessa and Curtisimo like this.
  6. bruthajoe

bruthajoe Still Recovering

Yes that was the answer I was expecting, Thank you.

Curtisimo likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted