Free Money!

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by yakpoo, Aug 7, 2011.

1. McBlzr

McBlzr Sr Professional Collector

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. yakpoo

yakpoo Member

By law, coins can only be struck during the year inscribed in the coin. All the 2010 coins that can be struck have already been struck. The Mint announced the 2010 sets would only be on sale through 31Dec2011.

So...lemme break it down...based on $40/Oz silver, you get $58.61 worth of coins ($5.06 non-silver, $53.55 silver) for $64.95. Not only are they Beautiful coins in beautiful packaging, it's 1.33866 troy ounces of pure Silver at a 10% premium! Once silver reaches $44.75/Oz, you got FREE MONEY!

But WAIT...there's MORE!!!

Sales trends indicate that these sets won't sell over 600,000. The current KEY DATE Silver Proof Kennedy Half and Silver Proof Roosevelt Dime is the 1995 with a mintage of 680,000. The NGC price guide list the 1995 PF70 Half @$175 and the PF70 Dime @$138. Who knows what these new key dates will sell for. Whatever it is...it's FREE MONEY!

4. bradarv90

bradarv90 Member

You should try selling cars; I'd bet you'd probably be pretty good at it.

5. BullionBully

BullionBully New Member

Pardon my ignorance but I'm a little lost on the KEY DATES thing. I'm new to numismatic stuff. Whats so significant of the 95 proof kennedy and roosevelt proofs?

6. McBlzr

The 95 Proof Kennedy & 95 Roosevelt had very low mintages, therefore that makes them rare & hard to obtain depending on how many collectors want then also. :eek:

7. yakpoo

yakpoo Member

Key dates are generally the coins within a series that has the lowest mintage or surviving population. For instance, the 1916-d Mercury dime is considered the "Key" date of that series. Just as the 1877 Indian Head Cent (IHC) is considered the "Key" for that series, etc.

The only coins that are sold exclusively in the modern (1992-Present) Silver Proof set is the Kennedy Half and the Roosevelt Dime; all of the other coins are available in other sets. That means that these are the only two coins whose mintage is restricted to the number of Silver Proof sets sold.

Between 1992 and now, the lowest sales of Silver Proof sets was the 1995 set...just under 680,000. There's a really good chance that the 2010 and 2011 sets (for the reasons given) will sell less than 600,000. That would make them the lowest mintage of the modern silver proof series.

8. BullionBully

BullionBully New Member

Thanks for clearing that up. If I have more funds, I'll prolly order a few more of the 2010s since the numbers are looking good.

9. yakpoo

yakpoo Member

Please let me throw out a few caveats before you do that...

Some folks on CT like to guess the direction of PMs and some like to guess the grade of coins. I like all those things, but what I REALLY like is to guess US Mint product "Winners" while they're still available!

OK, let me step back a bit...

I first discovered CT when I returned to coin collecting after a 25 year hiatus. I was like Rip van Winkle awaking from a long sleep. Many things had changed and CT was (and still is) the best place to discuss all things "coins" with some very accomplished Numismatists...and regular Joes, too.

Back then, I was looking for a source for US Mint sales reports...and there she was! Standing like the glistening statue of Columbia atop the Capitol Dome...Elaine1970! :5hearts: You may not have heard of Elaine1970...or perhaps you've only heard her name mentioned in hushed tones by CT elders...but she DID exist and she was the greatest purveyor of US Mint sales reports CT has ever known! :hail:

She's gone now, but her memory lives on. :angelic2::angelic::eek:hya: (I have it on good authority that Elaine1970 and Krispy had a love child that should be old enough to log on any day now) :D I KNOW YOU'RE LURKING OUT THERE, KRISPY!! ...but I digress.

I've since found Coin Update, which is an excellent source of weekly sales updates. I have a couple of years of Coin Update sales reports in 3D workbooks that can be easily analyzed for sales trends, either by themselves or merged with PM charts. The results are really quite interesting!

I enjoy predicting US Mint products that have (imho) a chance to be money makers! Please keep in mind, it's only a prediction...not FACT! I just throw my arguments out there for comment.

I really believe the First Spouse series will be a money maker in the years to come (great potential upside with minimal downside risk) and many very knowledgeable people disagree.

It's fun to get predictions out there, then see what happens! I feel the same way about the 2010 and 2011 Silver Proof sets...great potential upside with minimal downside risk.

So I guess what I'm trying to say is...Make up your own mind and spend your money on what pleases you; I could be wrong (but I don't think I am). ;)

Best Regards, Yakpoo

10. downlow

downlow Collection Collector

Good heads up! Always enjoy throwing a hat into the ring for an idea for potential $$$

Thanks OP.

I'll be purchasing as well (already have 1) to get a few more silver coins in my safe... JUST WHAT I NEEDED!!!

11. yakpoo

yakpoo Member

This has been another slow week for 2010/2011 Silver Proof Set sales. Just nineteen (19) weeks before these products go off-sale and mintage/sales figures don't show much signs of life.

2010: 571,186 (+395)
    2011: 444,355 (+2,643)

On a similar note, the sale of gold commemorative issues was suspended this week while the Mint comes up with a gold pricing grid for these products. Gold has risen 25% since these numismatic products were first priced and they were selling "near bullion" just prior to the sales suspension.

Silver Proof Sets saw a similar sales suspension earlier this year and may see another should the price of silver increase by just a few more dollars/Oz. Even a temporary suspension of sales will further reduce these products' availability prior to the announced end date of 31Dec2011.

Silver's been trading in a fairly narrow range ($34-$42) for the months following the May blowout. If gold continues its upward trend, it's "likely" silver may try to keep up. The price of these products is "near bullion" now with mintage numbers well behind any other modern Silver Proof Set issue.

I'll try to keep it quiet...:secret: "but it's...free money!"

[​IMG]

12. bradarv90

bradarv90 Member

I just got my 2010 silver proof set and I have to say it's smaller than I thought. I have never previously bought or owned a whole set buy this thing is so small. At first I thought they sent the wrong item, but it actually right. One actual problem I have with it is the lincoln cent has a couple brown spots at the edge and one of the dollar coins has minute traces of brown streaks, but overall it's so cool. When I get the money I'll buy the 2011 set.

13. yakpoo

yakpoo Member

Sorry to hear you got a set with some questionable coins. I got as many sets as I could afford when they first came out and they were all spectacular. I know I'm shooting myself in the foot by keeping this thread going, but I can't see a scenario where the sales of these sets increases much over their current pace. The 2011 set could even see sales less than 500,000...that would be incredible!!

That's where I see the value in these sets...in the low mintage. I expect to see silver back down below $20/Oz at some point (it may test $50 again before that happens, though).

14. McBlzr

I don't understand what you mean by small ? The sets basically contain a proof of each denomination, 5 different quarters & 4 different Presidential dollars.

15. BullionBully

BullionBully New Member

Got my set, the US Mint is working quick to get these out. Few of the dollar coins have spotting and so on but I guess those don't matter as much. The condition of the dime and half pieces are ok from my point of view. Either way, it doesn't matter to me, I'm banking on them being a hit in a few years.

16. bradarv90

bradarv90 Member

I meant small in the size of the box that they came in. I thought the cases would be larger, but the gives me more room in my safe so I'm happy. :)

17. pave lake

pave lake New Member

Curious and appreciate to hear some people's thoughts on this.
    I too got my sets (both 2010 and 2011) and my 2010 sets the $1 coins (not any of the silver coins) have spots on them.
    Is it worth sending back for a return (and chance something is wrong with the one I get with a silver coin) or just keep it as is?

Thanks

18. vdbpenny1995

vdbpenny1995 Well-Known Member

think this makes perfect sense and I WILL be buying both years BUT you said the 1995 proof set is so rare, so then why is the LostDutchMan selling one on ebay for a buy it now price of only 15 dollars??? http://www.cointalk.com/t190514/

*** NVM i realized because you guys are talking about the SILVER proof sets. but if youd said the proof half and dime can reach over $300 together, why are 1995 silver proof sets selling for around 65 dollars?****

19. BullionBully

BullionBully New Member

IMO, no. The US Mint requires that everything is shipped back... I bought 10 sets. 5 of each, a few of my sets have the spots and toning on them, but I don't care for it. It's more about silver content and the half, as well as the dime piece for me. The other coins are complete garbage, only worthy to those who collect them. They are clad, so that's enough explaining.

I believe that there are different versions, that set might be clad as to a reason why its so much cheaper. I looked on ebay and saw some clad going for around 20 bucks and the silver proofs going for 80+. I'm no expect but thats my findings, maybe the OP can chime in and give us some input.

20. yakpoo

yakpoo Member

1995 Silver Proof sets aren't what I would call "rare"...afterall, 680,000 of them were produced (between the Silver Proof and Silver Premier Proof sets). I use the 1995 set as a benchmark because it currently has the lowest mintage of any of the modern Silver Proof sets so far...it's the "Key Date".

The prices listed earlier for the 1995 Silver Proof Dime and Half Dollar are from the NGC Price guide for PF70 (NGC graded) coins; not all sets contain PF70 coins and there are costs involved in the grading process.

$65 seems like a reasonable price for the 1995 Silver Proof set ($21/set new). Prices for the 1995 set has come down quite a bit from its peak and may come down even further if either the 2010 or 2011 set replaces it as the "Key Date".

Typically, low mintage sets enjoy a surge of interest as folks find they have to buy theirs on the secondary market. Also, since it's a low mintage, there's a dash to find the best specimens and have them graded. As unsearched sets become difficult to find, prices generally drift lower. That's why some folks (Flippers), who are lucky enough to buy a hot product that everyone else missed, flip their product during the height of the frenzy to get the best price.

21. BullionBully

BullionBully New Member

Send me a PM when that happens. LOL, I don't wanna be left in the dust.

Draft saved Draft deleted