Fractional Gold Eagles

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by BNB Analytics, Dec 9, 2009.

1. midas1

midas1 Exalted Member

Krispy, you're correct the 1/2oz coin is the lowest mintage but 83k still seems like a lot. I think I won't pull the trigger right now on my fractional apmex order. I believe, in another thread, Elaine stated fractionals with either "W" mint mark and/or those with a mintage of <20,000 are the the ones to buy.

Elaine1970 - here are the latest data from the mint:

2009 bullion one ounce AGE - 1,193,500
    2009 bullion 1/2 ounce AGE - 83,000
    2009 bullion 1/4 ounce AGE - 90,000
    2009 bullion 1/10 ounce AGE - 270,000
    2009 bullion one ounce ASE - 27,679,500

1/2 ounce:
    2005 - 80,023
    2006 - 66,005
    2007 - 47,002
    2008 - 61,000
    2009 - 83,000 - not final

1/4 ounce:
    2005 - 72,015
    2006 - 60,004
    2007 - 34,004
    2008 - 70,000
    2009 - 90,000 - not final

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. krispy

krispy krispy

Yup! that's right 83K is a whole lot of coins sold out there.

4. krispy

krispy krispy

There's nothing to disagree with, the already established premium over spot with Eagle products that exists as you mentioned is common knowledge and apparent when you compare Eagles to other coins.

The "IF" was intended to suggest there is the potential for '09s to gain further numismatic premiums on these standard issue AGEs, which are otherwise just unc. bullion coins with high sales records/mintage figures. The potential for a larger premium MAY occur over the already established bullion premium that Eagle coins have over spot and over other similar products from different nations' mints due to '09 collector's Eagle products that were not issued this year.

This idea of greater premiums for '09s is speculation of course, which is why I capped "IF" in the first place, but because the U.S. Mint did not issue Proofs or "w" mintmark Eagle collector version products this year there may exist a greater collector demand on certain Eagle products should Eagle product collectors be looking to fill holes in their collection with coins otherwise mainly considered bullion coins.

I hope that's clearer and my apologies if the original reply was written in a confusing manner.

5. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

Fair enough, I think we are on the same page then. I was under the impression from posts earlier in this thread (not by you) that there was a belief that these coins were strictly bullion...which they are not due to that normal small premium. I just wanted to make sure that was clear.

As for this year, with no proofs being made it is going to be an interesting year to watch. The mintage's are higher than normal but these coins are the only option for AGEs. So, who knows what will happen with these.

6. krispy

krispy krispy

Right on! I fully agree!

7. midas1

midas1 Exalted Member

After doing an Internet search for prices for the fractionals I ordered one each of the 2009 AGE three frActionals in NGC MS-69 condition.
    What I think is interesting is APMEX price was $1,137.50 + s/h $59.08 total $1,187.58 for uncirculaed coins bought with credit card. Using a credit card I bought the coins graded MS-69 and slabbed for $1,167.00 + 15.00 s/h total $1,182.00 from Modern Coins.
    APMEX s/h is a deal breaker for me.

I had previously purchased a 2009 $50.00 AGE NGC MS-70 and decided I wanted a set but not pay the premium for MS-70 fractional coins.

8. Yankee

Yankee Senior Member

9. krispy

krispy krispy

Man, wouldn't that be fun! :eek:hya:
    Though I think I'd need a pair so just the one wouldn't get lonely in the SDB!
    I'd also have to trust a serious bullion dealer with a purchase of such a hunk of gold rather than toying with the 'bay. This is more the realm of high rollers like the OP who already has some big silver bars to cousin up with a big gold bar. :thumb:

10. Yankee

Yankee Senior Member

Didn'T you just love the price on that Krispy? US $470,000.00 your wife would do a number to you if you wrote a check for that! With this kind of bar being sold on E Bay It gets me wondering if it is one of those rumoured Doctored bars from Ft. Knox I read about! LOL Something tells me you would have to be NUTS to bank wire that much to a seller on E Bay

11. krispy

krispy krispy

Yeah, I'd rather claim my lottery winnings in that bank account I have set up in Africa!

12. Yankee

Yankee Senior Member

13. krispy

krispy krispy

Oh! that sneeze! LOL... And a nice spot on landing!

14. FlyGuyOG

FlyGuyOG Junior Member

Anybody collect anything from the Eagle 2008 W series. Where do you see these coins going, or do you think they've maxed out. The sleeper still seems to be the 1/4 ouce, the key eagle of the entire series. When did the mint submit the new mintage numbers come out, to correct the first mintage forecast? Has this ever happened before?

15. AlexN2coins2004

AlexN2coins2004 ASEsInMYClassifiedAD

LOL! yankee that's a great commerial :D

Draft saved Draft deleted