Featured Follow the coin theme GAME - ancient edition - post ‘em if you got ‘em

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Collect89, Jul 21, 2017.

1. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

Nice one, @DonnaML!

The dolphin's nose is near his fingers and the dolphin's tail extends up his arm to his biceps.

Here's a pedestrian as minted under Caligula in honor of Germanicus.

[​IMG]
    Germanicus, 15 BC - AD 19.
    Roman Æ as, 11.18 g, 27.5 mm, 7 h.
    Rome, issued under Caligula, AD 40-41.
    Obv: GERMANICVS CAESAR TI AVG F DIVI AVG N, bare-head of Germanicus, left.
    Rev: C CAESAR DIVI AVG PRON AVG P M TR P IIII P P around large SC.
    Refs: RIC 50; BMCRE 74-78; Cohen 4; RCV 1822; CBN 123.
    Note: Reverse die-match to Henry Cohen, Description historique des monnaies frappées sous l'Empire Romain, Tome I, Paris, 1880, page 225, no. 4.

Next: Big S C on the reverse.

TuckHard, Andres2, Spaniard and 5 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. DonnaML

DonnaML Well-Known Member

Thanks; I see it now!

Roman Collector likes this.
  4. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

Big SC on reverse :

[​IMG]
    Livia (+ AD 29), Dupondius - Rome mint, AD 22-23 under the reign of Tiberius
    SALVS AVGVSTA, draped bust of Salus (Livia) right
    TI CAESAR DIVI AVG F AVG P M TR POT XXIIII, around large S C
    13.90 g, 27 mm,.
    Ref : RCV # 1740 (450), Cohen # 5 (6), RIC I, 47.

Next : another empress

Q

5. Sulla80

Sulla80 Well-Known Member

“How do you celebrate your nation's 1000th anniversary? You issue a series of coins for your wife with a hippo on the reverse, of course!“
    -Roman Collector
    Otacilla Hippo.jpg
    Otacilia Servera, AR Antoninianus, Struck 248 AD in commemoration of the 1000th anniversary of Rome
    Obv: OTACIL SEVERA AVG, diademed and draped bust right, resting on a crescent
    Rev: SAECULARES AVGG, Hippopotamus standing right, head raised; IIII in exergue
    Ref: RIC IV 116b (Philip I)

Next: Another Empress

6. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

J. Doms:
    Screenshot_20200929-090500_PicCollage-removebg-preview.png

Next up: a different empress

7. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

Pulcheria
    Next: another Empress IMG_1064.JPG IMG_1061.JPG

8. DonnaML

Do you think she would have liked an elephant better?

Sulla80 and Roman Collector like this.
  9. hotwheelsearl

hotwheelsearl Well-Known Member

Let me go call my girlfriend an hippo and an elephant. I'll let you know if i survice which one she responded to better

10. DonnaML

I don't think there's any animal in that series that I would want to have represent me on a coin. The moose and stag wouldn't be any better. The antelope? The she-wolf, perhaps?

11. Roman Collector

So many to choose from ...

Let's do Severina!

Severina Siscia CONCORDIAE MILITVM Antoninianus.jpg
    Severina, AD 270-275.
    Roman billon antoninianus, 4.49 gm, 22.1 mm.
    Siscia, AD 275-275, issue 9.
    Obv: SEVERINAE AVG, diademed and draped bust right on crescent.
    Rev: CONCORDIAE MILITVM, Concordia standing left, holding two legionary standards; in exergue: TXXI.
    Refs: RIC 13; MER/RIC 2405; Cohen 8; MIR 237; RCV 11706.

Next: Another coin minted in Siscia.

12. DonnaML

Licinius I, silvered AE Follis, Siscia Mint (4th Officina) 315-316 AD. Obv. Laureate head right, IMP LIC LICINIVS P F AVG / Rev. Naked Jupiter standing and facing left, chlamys across left shoulder, holding Victory on globe in right hand and leaning on scepter held in left hand; eagle with wreath in beak at his feet left, IOVI CON-SERVATORI. Δ [Delta] in right field, • SIS • in exergue. RIC VII Siscia 17 (p. 424), Sear RCV IV 15212, Cohen 66. 21 mm., 3.36 g.

Licinius I - jpg version.jpg

Next: an emperor after Septimius Severus and before Constantine the Great who died of natural causes (that is, not by human violence) while still emperor.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2020
  13. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

SISCIA

[​IMG]
    FLORIAN AE23mm 3.54g Antoninian/Aurelian (VF, patina, deposits)
    AV: IMP C M AN FLORIANVS P AVG; radiate, cuirassed and draped with paludamentum, seen from rear bust r.
    REV: CONCORD MILIT; Emperor togate stg. r., clasping the hand of Concordia stg. l.
    EXE: S
    REF: LV 2738; RIC V-1 57var (unlisted bust type), RIC Online #4294 7 specs listed, only one in La Venera, and only 2 from prior sales; 1st issue for Siscia mint, 2nd officina, july-august 276AD.
    A rare coin from a very brief reign, as Florian has only reigned for a couple of moths in the summer of 276AD.
    Ex: @seth77

Next: Rooster [EDIT] too late, FALSE START! What Donna said...

TuckHard, Johndakerftw, Bing and 5 others like this.
  14. DonnaML

Unfortunately, I don't think Florian qualifies!

15. robinjojo

robinjojo Well-Known Member

According to Wikipedia, Maximinus II probably died due to severe thyrotoxicosis (at least that is one account), in 313 AD.

AE Follis, silvered, 286-310 AD, Siscia Mint.

D-Camera Maximianus Follis, Silvered, 286-310 AD, Siscia Mint,, 7-21-20.jpg

Next: Any coin depicting the woman who was the real power behind the throne.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2020
  16. Roman Collector

Julia Mamaea certainly qualifies.

[​IMG]
    Julia Mamaea, AD 222-235.
    Roman AR denarius, 3.15 g, 18.3 mm, 5 h.
    Rome mint, 7th emission, AD 227.
    Obv: IVLIA MAMAEA AVG, diademed and draped bust right.
    Rev: VESTA, Vesta standing left, holding patera and transverse scepter.
    Refs: RIC 362; BMCRE 440; Cohen 85; RCV 8218.

Next: Somebody holding a patera/phiale.

17. Broucheion

Broucheion Well-Known Member

Hi All,

This is a tricky one. Several things are going on here but it is Zeus Salaminios holding a patera instead of the wheat stalks usually seen. The attribution to Ptolemy V in my collection is a place holder until the next CPE volumes are ready. I expect this to be a coin of Cleopatra or, more probably Augustus, from Cyprus.

Attribution of this type to Cleopatra VII is made by Ino Nicolaou in "Paphos II: The Coins From the House of Dionysos," (1990); in the Bank of Cyprus catalog (Museum of the History of Cypriot Coinage, Coin catalogue, Bank of Cyprus Cultural Foundation, Nicosia 1996 Ch 11, coin #35 (as Cleopatra VII)); and by the much discredited Matt Kreuzer ("The Coinage System of Cleopatra VII and Augustus in Cyprus" self-published, 2004).

upload_2020-11-29_1-55-42.png

References: BMC Registration #1889,0605.17, where no dating is ventured.

Kreuzer speculates this coin circulated as a hemi-obol, a half of the broad thin obols RPC-3903 and a quarter of the rare diobol, RPC-3902.

Kreuzer from Coinage System of Cleopatra: "The obverse of this type featured the laureate, not diademed nor horned, head of Zeus right. This was a stylistic departure from previous diademed and horned Zeus-Ammon heads. Die axis is generally 12:00. The reverse has Zeus standing head to left, holding ears of grain on a single stalk (?) in his left hand and a scepter in his right hand, and a star above his head. The unusual pose for Zeus was apparently taken from a statue of the God. The statue of Zeus Salaminios appears in this pose on the coins of Augustus and later Roman rulers. On the Roman issues, Zeus holds a patera, and the scepter is eagle-tipped. This statue stood in a temple on the Acropolis of Salamis, which was re-built by Augustus in c. 22 BC, although the statue may have been older, after the Zeus of Pheidias. The reverse of the coin is far less likely the Zeus Plienus of Paphos (Zeus the Protector, of Paphos). Oddly, there is no reverse legend, unique among Ptolemaic coins [NB: there are other anepigraphic Ptolemaic coins], which otherwise all name a ruler."

- Broucheion

Next: Another coin from Cyprus

TuckHard, Ryro, panzerman and 5 others like this.
  18. Clavdivs

Clavdivs Well-Known Member

Well - from Cyprus .. that is for sure. What you want to believe from the "attribution" below is up to you... it came with the coin - and for a few bucks.. why not? Its pretty cool! One I love.

upload_2020-11-29_2-36-30.png
    Cleopatra VII hemiobol. Laureate head of Zeus. Statue of Zeus Salaminos standing, holding stalks of grain, star above. Paphos mint c. 35 BC. 3.15g. Nicolaou, Paphos II, 469-509 Cox, Exc. at Curium 128 Museum of the History of Cypriot Coinage ch. 11, 35. Ex-Taters, Ex-Savuto collection. Notes from Forum: While not noted in Svoronos, this type is fairly common on Cyprus and many have been found in the excavations at Neopaphos. The lack of a central depression indicates they were struck after 96 B.C. Recent Cypriot numismatic publications date them to the time when Cleopatra VII of Egypt was the ruler of the island. - how cool is that?

Next: Another coin from Cyprus

TuckHard, Ryro, panzerman and 6 others like this.
  19. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

BCD Incerta CYPRUS Salamis - Evagoras II AE15 2806.jpg
    CYPRUS, Salamis. Evagoras II.
    AE15. 3.0g, 15.3mm. CYPRUS, Salamis, circa 361-351 BC. SNG Copenhagen 56. O: Lion walking right; ram's head (?) above. R: Horse standing left; star above, ankh symbol before.
    Ex BCD Collection of Incerta

Next: Animals on both sides

TuckHard, Ryro, panzerman and 7 others like this.
  20. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Quite a few coins of Sicily have nice animals. I like this Akragas tetras (425-406 BC) with two animals on each side. Is that a small crab or a big shrimp?
    g20480b01134lg.jpg

Next: More than two animals on one side of the coin

TuckHard, Ryro, panzerman and 6 others like this.
  21. JayAg47

JayAg47 Well-Known Member

One more reason to post my favorite coin!
    Chola 1/8 kahavanu, 1014-1044 AD. Commemorative coin of Rajendra Chola conquering the neighboring kingdoms of Chera, and Pandya, depicted as the royal emblems-Cholan tiger, Pandyan twin fish, and the Cheran bow (off-center behind tiger), all under the single rule symbolized by the umbrella, and the legends in Nageri states, Yudha-malla, one who's strong in wars.
    11th.jpg
    Next, post a non-Roman coin featuring the symbols of conquered empires!

TuckHard, Ryro, panzerman and 7 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted