First Spouse gold...Are they Bullion or Collectibles??

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by Curio Bill, Aug 22, 2009.

1. yakpoo

yakpoo Member

I could have kept doing what I had been doing (software development), but circumstances would have required a relocation or a company change with less pay/benefits. I decided to stay with my company and move to the tangentially related field of Information Assurance. To qualify, I had to pass the ISC² CISSP-ISSAP series of certification exams. Professional certifications are a great way to prove to employers that you're keeping your skills current and can produce results.

I would recommend identifying a field that's 1) in demand in your area, and 2) somewhat related to the area of study with which you're most familiar; an area where your experience will set you apart from the competition in your new field. If you don't mind relocation, consider a move to an area where your current skills are more in demand.

Another example...a friend of mine (Matt) was a construction supervisor for a large construction firm in the area. He loves the day to day dynamics of the job site. He's a no-crap kind of guy that doesn't mind cracking a few heads together to get things done.

In 2008, Matt had a heart attack and the doctor told him that he needed to take it easy. Matt loved his job, but couldn't keep up the daily stress level. His company sent him back to school for formal Project Management training. He's now a very successful Project Manager and supervises/trains a number of younger construction supervisors. He got a huge pay bump and has time to travel and golf for a change. Change isn't always a bad thing. :thumb:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. spock1k

spock1k King of Hearts

yes you are right. i just wonder where i took a wrong turn.

4. Ladies First

Ladies First Since 2007

It's not change that people hate, it's being changed.

5. silvermonger

silvermonger Member

I think they are really nice designs and would like to have a few.
    Like most folks I dont own nearly enough SILVER or GOLD coins.

"First Spouse gold...Are they Bullion or Collectibles?? "
    back to the OP question, Yes they are definitely collectables!
    That is, until you are low on money and want to sell them,
    at which time you discover they will bring bullion price.

6. jjack

jjack Captain Obvious

it is classified as collectible coin and not a bullion and this might seem trivial but quite important for the following reasons':

• Tax exemption: bullion in certain countries are exempt from certain taxes (VAT, duties etc).
    • Insurance: insurance policy and coverage for bullion vs collector/commemorative coins are quite different.
    • Retirement investment: only certain approved bullion can be purchased for IRA.

7. silvermonger

silvermonger Member

"it is classified as collectible coin and not a bullion" really? by whom? can you cite a reference?
    Would that source be considered definitive by all?

I ask not to be argumentative (for once) but because I didnt know that and those reasons are important.

8. jjack

jjack Captain Obvious

Well that definition varies with region but European commission does release list of coins that are considered investment only, wiki page for bullion coins' has this list.

9. Ladies First

Ladies First Since 2007

Page 13 of this thread has more info regarding what the Gov't says it created them as, bullion or numismatic items...

10. midas1

midas1 Exalted Member

Very interesting. Who/what determines if a coin is collectible or bullion? Is the 2009 UHR bullion or collectible?

11. Levi

Levi Member

Apmex has an ungraded proof liberty subset listed for $6495.00
    That's better than spot.

12. 02138

02138 New Member

The set has 4 first spouse coins. The total weight is 2 oz. Spot price for 2 oz is $3356 as of the end of day (11/21), which is well below $6495.

13. Levi

Levi Member

Well, yeah. Maybe I should clarify that by "better than spot"
    I meant that the liberty subset coins are valued much higher than spot price, and not valued similar to bullion.
    There clearly is a numismatic premium.

14. claygump

claygump New Member

Lucretia Garfield goes on sale today. I think with the latest pop in the spot price mint prices might be re-adjusted next week. So I'm ordering one today. Anyone else?
    PA7_popup.jpg
    Also anyone see the tweets from the CCAC meeting.... see below.

Back from lunch at Cuba Libre and starting 1st Spouse designs. Ron Harrigal presenting Alice Paul $10 gold now. (1:52)
    [Editor's Note: Refer to this article for images of the 2012 First Spouse Gold Coin design candidates.]
    We are getting 2 Frances Cleveland coins because Grover served 2 terms. 1st term she was USA’s youngest 1st spouse. (2:16)
    Reviewing Caroline Harrison 1st Spouse coins with images of her painting china on reverse. Unbelievably boring stuff these 1st Spouse coins (2:40)
    Heidi Wastweet showed a picture of a china plate that Caroline Harrison designed that is perfect for the reverse. (3:00)
    Votes on 1st spouse coins being tallied. We are moving to the annual report discussion now. Long day. (3:13)
    Debating annual report–Mike Olson advocating for Route 66 Commemoratives (8 states/8 coins). Heidi Wastweet advocating an ASPCA Commemorative. (3:38)
    1st Spouse voting: Alice Paul Obverse #5 (16/21); Reverse #4 (20/21). This gets the CCAC recommendation. (3:53)
    Cleveland 1st term: Obverse #7 (16/21); Reverse #5 (13/21): Cleveland 2nd term: Obverse #1 (19/21); Reverse #2 (14/21) Recommended by CCAC (3:56)
    Harrison 1st Spouse: Obverse #1 (15/21); Reverse #5 (18/21). Recommended. Motion to change design of orchard to reflect her work passed. (3:57)
    One last motion on Cleveland 1st term rev.#5 to correct problem with hair made by Heidi Wastweet passed. (3:59)

15. Levi

Levi Member

I like Lucretia's hairdo
    and Lucretia is a good name.
    winner

16. FryDaddyJr

FryDaddyJr Junior Member

she looks like she's wearing the same shirt as Lucy Hayes.

lucy-hayes-gold-coin.jpg

17. yakpoo

yakpoo Member

Ahhh...the "Puffy Shirt"

[​IMG]

18. yakpoo

yakpoo Member

There's an MS70 "Jackson Liberty" that 17 people feel is a "collectible". With just over four (4) hours left, the price is up to $1,563.99.

It'll be interesting to see if that's the final price or if there will be some last minute bidding. :hail:

19. Ladies First

Ladies First Since 2007

20. yakpoo

yakpoo Member

There was a little bump...finished @ $1599.00 (not too shabby)

21. fatima

fatima Junior Member

I notice that a slabbed unc. Julia Tyler graded MS 70 is now selling for $2350 at a popular on-line vendor. This is a flabbergasting rise in price for a coin that could have been easily been had for $630 in 2009. There wasn't even a sell out. It was easy to even find a slabbed coin like this for $800 or so even into 2010.

This is a 1/2 ounce coin.

It's proof that initial demand is no indication of future numismatic pricing.

Draft saved Draft deleted