First fake ATB? You be the judge.

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by RhinoEmpire, Apr 30, 2011.

1. RhinoEmpire

RhinoEmpire Hi-Yo (Ag)

Does anyone find this Ebay offer somewhat suspicious? I've never seen an ATB packaged this way, and the seller clams to have purchased the coin "DIRECT FROM THE U.S MINT WEBSITE THE FIRST DAY THEY CAME OUT". We know that's not true. The sellers feedback has also been dinged for selling counterfeits. My guess is the silver eagle is legit, and the ATB is fake.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120716742737&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. RhinoEmpire

RhinoEmpire Hi-Yo (Ag)

This just keeps getting better. The Eagle is probably fake too. A recent win for him was "2-EA2010 PROOF AMERICAN EAGLE BOX /VELVET BOX NO COIN". The seller just happens to have two sets of the ATB's that include a 2010 eagle. Geesh, be careful out there everyone.

PS: Does anyone want to buy a bridge?

4. VetStudent

VetStudent Junior Member

the ATB looks real

the item description suggesting they are directly from the mint is likely incompetence

5. CoinKeeper

CoinKeeper Keeper of Coins

Did you ever think he just had the proof coins without boxes and in order to sell the coins he purchased boxes? And he probably is just misinformed about it being direct from the US mint. No need to give this guy a hard time and jump to wild conclusions.

6. RhinoEmpire

RhinoEmpire Hi-Yo (Ag)

It wasn't my intention anyone a hard time, eh? I simply presented a question that has been asked many times on this site. I'm not sure if you're aware of this, but e-bay has been known to deal it's fair share of counterfeit coins.

7. Rope

Rope New Member

My personal gripe….They (eBay) has several thousand replicas listed as a rule, every day. IMHO this is not a good thing; Buyers of such (so-called) coins are just paying for the education of future counterfeiters. Who checks to see if these copies are marked as such? Things are getting out of control.

8. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

One of the distributors had his sets packaged as Genuine by PCGS, and a lot of them have been slabbed by PCGS and NGC, but that is the packaging that most of the sets came from the distributors in.

9. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

They don't look fake to me but I wouldn't bid on them. Feedback just isn't good enough for me to be interested in. In other words I wouldn't bid on any of his items. That said somebody may get a good deal because of this post, hey ya never know. :D

10. fatima

fatima Junior Member

This a buyer's feedback from Nov 7th. This is why they are there.

CAREFUL WITH THIS SELLER! Silver coins...not silver at all. Sold me FAKE Morgans
    Member id tom4986 (private)
    Nov-07-10 05:12

Reply by gurallah (Nov-07-10 12:13):
    FULLY REFUNDED BUYER,ALL COINS GENUINE,2ND NEGATIVE FROM SAME BUYER-BUYER REMORS
    o
    Follow-up by tom4986 (Nov-07-10 17:30):
    No remorse, coins are FAKE! Morgans = 27.22 grams, THESE = 23.5 gr., NOT SILVER!

11. scoo1ter

scoo1ter Junior Member

The ATB in the photo is exactly how they were packaged and delivered by APMEX in late December 2010.

12. coinmaster1

coinmaster1 Active Member

Looks legit to me; obviously not shipped by the Mint, though. Probably APMEX.

13. sgiorgis

sgiorgis Student of Numismatics

I have always had a dislike for "private" when you are doing feedback research before taking the plunge with a new seller. I tend to shy away if I can not view a previous sale from them. Just my 2 cents! :)
    Steve

14. Vroomer2

Vroomer2 Active Member

+1 Not a fan of that either.

15. AlexN2coins2004

AlexN2coins2004 ASEsInMYClassifiedAD

well the guy has a 98.4% feedback rating...I realize to some that looks BAD! but also think about it...he's screwed up on 16 out of 1,000 tranactions average wise... how much does that happen at a brick and mortar?

and if this guy is really screwing over anyone it's not the buyer... cause e-bay willpay back the buyer if any problem and charge it to the seller...if anything your safe on this...just make it a trust but verify thing...and take action if you are being defrauded...

16. Numismania

Numismania You hockey puck!!

I tend to agree with you as far as 'private' items go...just an easier way to 'hide', but on the flip side, I wouldn't necessarily say these are fake (I don't think they are)....but I still wouldn't bid on them being a 'private' item.

Draft saved Draft deleted