Featured Finally, my dream! (1920 Maine Centennial)

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Evan Saltis, May 31, 2021.

1. Evan Saltis

Evan Saltis OWNER - EBS Numis LLC Supporter

Still waiting patiently... :drowning: 16E93C45-19DE-43C3-B479-7CF3CB15759D.png

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Evan Saltis

Very nice. I am a UMO student but I’m from Auburn. That coin is in nice shape but for me color was a big part of my decision.

my pappy has found a few coins for me here and there

ddddd and Santinidollar like this.
  4. Evan Saltis

Now that this thread has come back into the spotlight, I feel I might as well throw in a couple pictures of the bicentennial which began in my home town of Auburn, and across the Androscoggin river into Lewiston.

IMG_0972.jpeg
    State seal, just as seen on the coin and the state flag.

IMG_0969.jpeg
    Old firetruck from Auburn

Also present were both our current governor, and our former governor. Overall, it was fantastic to see my neighborhood come together this way, something which hasn't happened in a long time in our rather fractured community. And not a mask in sight, it was glorious!

5. geekpryde

geekpryde Husband and Father Moderator

Love the Mainer pride!

I downloaded that brochure you linked, and it's kind of cool that I drive by those buildings in Portland often shown in the old photos, City Hall and the Expo. I actually ran track my freshman year in HS inside that Expo, and also attended a flea market and bought a Buffalo nickel there in the late 90's. My Marriage certificate and family birth certificates all came from inside Portland City Hall.

Here is my "Maine" type coin. Perhaps this should be on your bucket list as well?

1936 50c YORK ms65 sellers closeup obv.jpg

1936 50c YORK ms65 rev sellers closeup.jpg

dwhiz, Mainebill, ddddd and 1 other person like this.
  6. Evan Saltis

It already is!! I’ve been in the expo, city hall, all that many times. Although my birth certificate is in Lewiston, my brothers is in Portland. My mother works directly across the street from city hall.

I’m glad you liked the brochure, it was an addition I made to this post yesterday to ensure no copyright issues.

Hope you’re holding up well.

geekpryde likes this.
  7. Evan Saltis

I also recall you like cac certified coins. I am considering sending this Maine centennial in eventually, when I have a few others that would be deserving.

8. Mad Stax

Mad Stax Well-Known Member

Nice coin! I've gotta start delving into commems more. The Bennington Memorial half dollar is one of my dream coins.
    On a side note this post is a timely read for me. I'm currently vacationing in the beautiful town of Gray, ME. My first trip to the state in over a dozen years. Magnificent land up here!

Evan Saltis likes this.
  9. Evan Saltis

Very awesome! That’s close by my town. Here at the university for now. Glad you’re enjoying the state!

Mad Stax likes this.
  10. Evan Saltis

Recent auction win. FA14AEC8-0A9C-4AF9-BFA9-0DF21D647494.jpeg

11. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

Very nice. Being a resident of York county I wish they’d picked a better design. I do have a nice Maine commemorative. I’d really like one with monster color tho

12. Mainebill

AD8BEBF3-D627-4DF8-96DD-0C368A3FB616.jpeg 2DA3A3E3-FF7D-471D-860B-B0F3EE448217.jpeg My Maine. I like the old pcgs holder too

ddddd, masterswimmer, dwhiz and 4 others like this.
  13. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

I like to collect items with a moose on them.
    My 1st attempt at buying a Maine Centennial didn't go well. But I learned to be more careful when buying coins.
    The second one went better. 1920 Maine fake and real-horz.jpg

Sunflower_Coins and ddddd like this.
  14. Mainebill

Damn. I’ve never seen a counterfeit Maine half. Though I’ve seen a few in junk silver lots that had some time in commerce

15. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

@Mainebill
    Yep, just my luck

Mainebill likes this.
  16. Evan Saltis

Color looks a little strange but other than that, looks like a plain old circulated Maine centennial.

Mainebill and dwhiz like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted