Featured Finally, my dream! (1920 Maine Centennial)

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Evan Saltis, May 31, 2021.

1. Evan Saltis

Evan Saltis OWNER - EBS Numis LLC Supporter

I’ve been looking for one of these for some time. Most MS examples I found had some ugly brown or black toning (assumptively because of the frostier luster). I’m a fan of blast white silver perhaps with some radial toning, but the color here is very out of character for me. This is literally my dream coin :rolleyes: at least for a then-15-year-old this was a big purchase. Now I have one!

D93A89B5-3280-40BF-B1B5-C2E9A3019C7C.jpeg
    Small and poorly done collage by me, using sellers pictures. This coin is rather well struck for the type. The ‘ENN’ in Centennial on the reverse is especially prone to the weak strike. On the other hand, the obverse is fantastic as well, both men have visible faces that do not look like Squidward :troll: with a worn or weakly struck face and nose. Personally, the face of the man on the left was my biggest qualm with this type. This specific coin is fantastic. Even MS-66 coins seem to have more weakness in the center of the reverse than my example!

Some more information on this type, and the purpose it was designed for.

Maine was admitted into the Union in 1820, as a result of Missouri’s desire to be a slave state. The Missouri compromise, although creating another state with the atrocities of American slavery, created the state in the heart of all Mainers.

The type was designed by Anthony de Francisci, based off of a design by Harry H. Cochrane. They were minted to be handed out at the absolutely fantastic Centennial celebration of the state in 1920 in the city of Portland. However, the coins were unfortunately not received in time, and instead the Maine treasury sold them over the course of many years (although I can not seem to find a date range- 50,028 were minted so I assume it was quite some time.)

Check this out! The official program of events for the parade. Courtesy of the Bangor Public Library.
    Here are some notable pages for quick viewing:
    Page 21: The centennial committee group photo
    Page 25: Portrait of first governor William King, and governor in 1920, Carl Milliken.
    Pages 37-end: A list, with depictions of all floats which were in the parade.

Citation below:
    Rogers, William Chapman, "One hundredth anniversary of Maine's entrance into the union: official program of state celebration, Portland, June 26th to July 5th 1920" (1920). Books and Publications. 69.
    https://digicom.bpl.lib.me.us/books_pubs/69

Some personal thoughts:
    The Maine state seal has personal connections with me, not just because Maine is my birthplace and my home, but because my earliest memories include my elementary school having a very large Maine state flag hanging. I was always inspired by “Dirigo” - which means “I direct”.

This word really means a lot, and even though Mainers don’t say “Dirigo” as much as we say things like “wickeeed baby”, or other similar phrases with more obscenity, Maine still lives by the thought that where Maine goes, our nation will follow. Time and time again, that line seems to show its truth, both as the easternmost state (earliest to see the sun), and the values Maine holds close by.

I plan to keep this coin for many years.

Maine centennial parade, 1920. Photo from the Maine Historical Society, not my image. (Free for educational use) - more info at this link. https://www.mainememory.net/artifact/40462

(Minor edits made for copyright, and general understandability, Sep 19, 2021.)

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2021
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Evan Saltis

James Madison Stevens (Born c. 1811 in Georgetown, which was still Massachusetts , died 28 September 1894 in Georgetown, where he lived his entire life.)

James M Stevens was a fisherman his whole life, being a part of the industry which Maine so heavily relied on in the early years.

also in this picture is his wife, Mary Jane Saddler who lived from 7 May 1816 to 27 August 1875. Her birth location is not absolute, but family record states that it was somewhere in Sagadahoc county, where she also died.

This image is from about 1870 from my estimations. CFE882FA-365A-47F6-8B6E-38462FC3F9F6.jpeg

4. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

Well done, young man, Well done.

Bayern, Cliff Reuter, GH#75 and 3 others like this.
  5. Evan Saltis

Thank you my friend! :woot: It will be here by Jun 17. The 18th of June this year is my 19th birthday. But maybe it will get shipped earlier than eBays handling time. I’m lucky to have found this one shortly after it was listed, (I follow PCGS Maine Centennial halves, but probably won’t now!)

UncleScroge, Hookman, Bayern and 3 others like this.
  6. Eric the Red

Eric the Red Well-Known Member

Awesome piece Evan. Congrats it's a beauty.

7. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Excellent coin and a wonderful write up. Glad you found your dream coin. :)

8. Bradley Trotter

Bradley Trotter Well-Known Member

Nice coin, @Evan Saltis; congratulations. Interestingly enough, my father served on the USS Maine (SSBN-741) back in the late 90s. Some of my earliest memories of him are wearing a well-used T-shirt with the Maine state seal on it while playing World of Warcraft or trying to fix his Jeep.

9. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

Yea man ! Nice article !! :happy:

Evan Saltis, Hookman and Two Dogs like this.
  10. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

Evan Saltis and Hookman like this.
  11. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

There is nothing like getting a coin you've wanted for a long time. Congrats.

12. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

I like the Oregon commem more…

Just kidding, lovely coin, good eye appeal ;-)

Hookman likes this.
  13. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

My brain doesn't process faces very well, but I've just spent several minutes staring into the eyes of these two people. I'm not sure why, but it's very hard to pull loose.

Hookman and Evan Saltis like this.
  14. Vertigo

Vertigo Did someone say bust?

I love Maine! I was going to get one of these at one time. I did own a York commemorative for a while but decided not to pursue commemorative halves. So I let it go.

15. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

Congrats, Evan! I love the way you're showing it, too. Not being familiar with this one, I like I can see both sides, together, or simply click when I want to see detail.

16. Sidney Osborne

Sidney Osborne Well-Known Member

Met a person from Maine once...photo makes this come alive...no longer just a piece of metal, but a best friend....

Mainebill and Hookman like this.
  17. Evan Saltis

They sure are. AU examples are abundant but I needed an MS. just for my own sanity. This is easily the best of the type I have ever spotted, online or in person. The price does dramatically spike once you get to MS 63 and higher.

I was waiting and waiting for a gorgeous PCGS example, and now it has paid off.
    Lol! Thanks for your comment my friend... glad you like it.
    It wasn’t too hard, Instagram has a phone app called ‘Layout” which made it easy on my cell phone. I do this every once in a while. Here’s another I did with the same concept. I think it will be my go-to in the future. It saves file space not having so many individual photos of each side. 772277EB-6B04-4D19-A0E1-83AD120CA3B8.jpeg
    Well, here I am. Your second friend from Maine.

I feel like me and this coin will bond much nicer when I can hold it.

Mannie gray, Hookman and alurid like this.
  18. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

Well done Evan. Rewards come to those who wait. Glad you found and could obtain a coin of your hopes. Happy early BD too.

Hookman likes this.
  19. Mac McDonald

Mac McDonald Well-Known Member

Your collage is every bit a 64...just like your coin...! Very nice, plus a great story and write-up of history for us history buffs. Love this series...I have a very few and wish I could have added/acquired more...like this one. Congrats...!

Hookman and Two Dogs like this.
  20. Two Dogs

Two Dogs Well-Known Member

Very nice coin, and a wonderful story to go with it. I've handled a few and understand the strike issues you mentioned. Yours is a keeper! I don't think you'd find a nicer one even at the 65 level.

Last edited: May 31, 2021
    Hookman likes this.
  21. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

I not only enjoyed the coin, very nice, your acknowledgement, and patience are great rewards also. Your post is fascinating. Thank you.

Evan Saltis, Hookman and Two Dogs like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted