Featured Finally, my dream! (1920 Maine Centennial)

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Evan Saltis, May 31, 2021.

1. ddddd

ddddd Member

Congrats! It's always rewarding to find that dream coin and you picked a great example!

Hookman, Evan Saltis and Two Dogs like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mkm5

Mkm5 Well-Known Member

Nice find Evan, and thank you for the history as well.

I must admit, I've never heard of this coin before, but it's a real beauty!

Adding to my list.

Hookman and Evan Saltis like this.
  4. Evan Saltis

Evan Saltis OWNER - EBS Numis LLC Supporter

Thank you everyone. I’m glad you liked my short write up, and even more glad the coin is just as beautiful as my cointalk friends are. :kiss:

Two Dogs, Hookman and alurid like this.
  5. Mkm5

Mkm5 Well-Known Member

Right back at ya!

Hookman and Evan Saltis like this.
  6. Evan Saltis

Not trying to be a glory hog but if I was to get a ‘feature’ on this site my mom said I should put it in my resume as a featured writer..

lol, wouldn’t that bump up my resume a bit haha

Hookman, Bayern and ddddd like this.
  7. Evan Saltis

Also, don’t know how long I can wait for this one to show up. Seriously, haven’t had this level of numismatic excitement since I got my first silver.

Marshall and Hookman like this.
  8. Bradley Trotter

Bradley Trotter Well-Known Member

If you're anything like me; you'll probably be obsessively checking the tracking number every fifteen minutes between now and delivery.

9. longarm

longarm Well-Known Member

Marshall likes this.
  10. Evan Saltis

Well used tee shirts and attempting to fix up a black jeep was a staple of the Saltis household in its early years.

11. Bradley Trotter

Bradley Trotter Well-Known Member

My father's Jeep has been sitting in my driveway for almost 20 years now. That thing has been a virtual pandora's box of technical problems ever since. My mom even told me once it would've been better if it had been lost at sea when we shipped it to Guantanamo Bay when he was stationed there years ago.

12. Vess1

Vess1 CT SP VIP

That is an awesome centennial commem. Congrats! I actually just bought a blast white 1918 Illinois centennial and sent it in for grading. I should have it back shortly. Only 100k made. Some of these old commems are under appreciated in my view. The same designers who created our classic coinage worked on them. I agree, there's a lot of dirty looking ones out there, creating conditional/ eye appeal rarities.

Edit: That looks really good as your avatar! Cool.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2021
    longarm, Beefer518 and Evan Saltis like this.
  13. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

There goes your patent application with the USPTO. :(

Evan Saltis likes this.
  14. Evan Saltis

Lol! Here’s one I did that took much longer. However I think it’s very nice as well. This format attached is a large photo but I think it looks nice.

in the social media age I had to update.. lol! Lots of collectors on Instagram but making sales ‘off the record’ so to say is tough for me. But these square images will be my go to in the future. I might have to call it an untrue view or something 9C9D37C6-583B-4C07-AB07-4EEDB1D4EF8E.jpeg
    Yep. When I was younger I wished these Maine centennials were easier to get ahold of. I mean I can get an 1893 Columbus for 12 bucks but no chance Maine is in that price range. I think I might just focus on these lower mintage commemorative halves because eventually they will be wicked popular... right? I would have already thrown some money into flipping stuff but I get anxiety going out on a limb. I should trust myself more. All I really want is a career in this hobby but incredibly unsure of the collectors market in years ahead.

15. Vess1

Vess1 CT SP VIP

You'll have to decide if you really want a "career in this hobby" or just think you want a career. I love coins too but I wouldn't be good at being a dealer. I'd want to keep too much for myself. Have heard most dealers stop collecting for the most part as it all becomes business. That takes the enjoyment out of it for me. But some people will be better at it. It seems like a hard way to make a living.

On the off chance I could get past not collecting too many myself, I'd probably only be interested in talking to about 0.05% of the average person who walks in. Dealing with the general public would be a huge eye opener for most. But maybe that's just me again...

16. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

Super happy for you. Alls I want to do is find a 1999 wide AM. Then I’ll end my coin chase

Evan Saltis likes this.
  17. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

She certainly didn’t marry her husband for looks. Damn.

18. JeffC

JeffC Go explore something and think a happy thought!

I enjoyed the write-up (always like coin stories) but don't understand the connection to the photo of the couple.

19. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

Very nice piece and write up. Great strike with nice color on the reverse. I like the finger print too - I would bet it is about 100 years old.
    I think that the fact that the moose is incuse was something de Francisci did so that it wouldn’t be the high point of the coin and quickly worn off.

20. Phil Ham

Phil Ham Hamster

My grandfather (Pappy) handed down the below Maine Centennial. I was born in Brewer, Maine and graduated from UMO. It is one of the prized pieces in my collection.

Maine Centennial - 1920 Obverse.JPG Maine Centennial - 1920 Reverse.JPG

dwhiz, longarm, ddddd and 1 other person like this.
  21. Evan Saltis

Sorry,
    Those are ancestors of mine, the only line of my family which was in Maine in 1820 when the state was founded. They are my first connections to the state of Maine. The other side of my family did not enter the United States until about 1920.

it wasn’t necessarily meant to fit with the coin, but it’s part of the reason I have wanted a coin like this for many years.

Draft saved Draft deleted