Finally got an owl!

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by kazuma78, Jul 2, 2020.

1. Finn235

Finn235 Well-Known Member

Superb selection! It certainly checks all of the boxes - that is one to be proud of.

This current hoard seems endless - I wonder how long before we are no longer seeing up to two dozen owls per auction? And what will be the going rate for coins like these if/when demand exceeds supply again?

I picked up two inexpensive owls last year; I wanted relatively problem-free coins that still show evidence of actual use as money.

First, a compact example of a late transitional / early mass tetradrachm
    Athens early tetradrachm.jpg

And then a nice Mass owl, although someone on here (can't remember who) said it might actually be an Eastern imitation?
    20190507_Athens-tetradrachm.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Gary R. Wilson

Gary R. Wilson ODERINT, DUM METUANT — CALIGULA

Hi Nathan, here's an easy way to merge two images:
    https://www.imgonline.com.ua/eng/combine-two-images-into-one.php

Nathan B. likes this.
  4. AncientJoe

AncientJoe Well-Known Member

Nothing to complain about with your example - congrats!

kazuma78 likes this.
  5. robinjojo

robinjojo Well-Known Member

I'm the member who suggested that the second coin might be an imitation, possibly from Philistina. There's a long slightly curving line on Athena's cheek, running at an angle to the ear, where it ends in a slight hook. This mark could be an Aramaic "pe" (see chart).

[​IMG]

Now this is just a guess on my part. I don't think this mark is a die chip or break. It seems quite deliberate.

Here's my example.

In terms of style, the obverses of the two coins are very similar. For the reverse, the owl on my coin seems shorter with much larger eyes in relation to the head. The olive leaves are similar, while the crescent moon on my coin is a little larger and more crudely engraved. The Θ symbol for both coins is missing the central dot (very clear on your coin, assumed to be on mine).

There's also a remnant of the casting sprue on my coin. This is the duct that was used to pour silver into the mold for the flan. Additionally, your coin is in better condition (better metal and strike). My coin has some porosity issues, mainly on the obverse and the reverse is missing detail due to the fairly narrow flan.

D-Camera ,Philistia Attica Imitation Tetradrachm, eBay purchase, 6-19-20.jpg

6. Nathan B.

Nathan B. Well-Known Member

7. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Fantastic coin, @kazuma78! Great score :)

I'd love to have one of these double-bodied owls, especially one in as good condition as yours!

My mass emission owl tet:

[​IMG]
    ATTICA, Athens
    c. 454-404 BCE
    AR tetradrachm; 17.21 gm, ~25 mm
    Obv: head of Athena right, with frontal eye
    Rev: owl standing right, head facing, closed tail feathers; olive sprig and crescent to left; AΘE downward in right field; all within incuse square
    Removed from an NGC slab; AU 5/5 strike, 3/5 surfaces, "Parliament Collection"
    Ref: I really don't know. There are so many catalogs and types and I have no idea how nitpicky various catalogers are. Reid Goldsborough noted that David Sear said there were so many owl tets that in all his years he's never seen a die matched pair! Suffice it to say that this coin is authentic and it is from the "mass emission" period... a "classical owl tet".

8. Topcat7

Topcat7 Still Learning

"In Greek mythology, the little owl (as shown on the reverse) also referred to as the "owl of Athena" or the "owl of Minerva", traditionally represents or accompanies Athena. This association has seen this bird be used as a symbol of knowledge, wisdom, perspicacity and erudition throughout the Western world."

owl of athena | bradfordmint - The Bradford Mint

(sourced from Wikipedia)

9. Pellinore

Pellinore Well-Known Member

Searching for an explanation of the double-bodied owl, I found this old thread where one of our legendary old members asked Dane Kurth of Wildwinds for an explanation. From the title of the thread alone, you may know who authored it:
    Are Two Bodies better than One? => Hooo-Hooo!!

Apparently, the double owls of Sigeon (on the western coast of Asia Minor) were first issued by the military commander Chares of Athens (active from about 367-330 BC), who was very capable, but apparently also rather greedy and given to changing sides: powerful and capricious, a dangerous combination.

His preferred residence was the town of Sigeon. He had an owl as a personal emblem, and to stress his adherence to the city of Athens (that commissioned him often) he issued coins to show the affinity of Sigeon to Athens by showing two owls with one head - that of Chares obviously.

I tried to find the article in Italian mentioned by Dane Kurth on Academia, on JSTOR and on Google by using words translated into Italian, like 'Carete', 'Sigeo', 'Atene' and 'gufo', but to no avail. Probably there is some old book where this is properly explained. But I haven't found it yet.

robinjojo, Alegandron and DonnaML like this.
  10. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

GREAT Owl, @Pellinore ! I really enjoy those double-bodied critters!

Congrats on you Owl, @kazuma78 ... I do have several, but I am having fun with Owls in other denoms or lands. Here are a few of mine:

(@Topcat7 has a SUPER one of these above!)
    upload_2020-7-9_13-13-5.png
    Teate Apulia 225-220 BCE AE Quincunx 12.5g 26.5mm Athena R Corinthn helmet - TIATI owl K 5 pellets - BMC HN Italy 702a SNG Cop 689 var RARE

upload_2020-7-9_13-14-15.png
    Athens 340-317 BCE BC AE 12 Athena attic helmet R- Double bodied Owl with head facing E olive sprigs kalathos RARE BMC 224

upload_2020-7-9_13-14-50.png
    Athens Attica 454-404 BCE ARr hemidrachm 16mm 2.08g Athena frontal eye - facing Owl wings closed olive branches COP 70 SG 2528

11. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

And, I am fascinated with Banker's marks on the Owls... curious as to how far they traveled and if they traveled far out of the Greek lands.

I understand it is a big no-no for folks within the Greek areas that worshiped the Goddess Athena to slam a banker's mark on her. However, it is ok to slam the Owl cuz it would be ok to stick-it to Athens the City State.

So, it may be possible these Tets were circulating outside the Greek World. I am thinking maybe the Inca or Aztec Empires... anyone biting on that theory? :D :D :D

I think I got these for $50 bucks a throw:

upload_2020-7-9_13-22-48.png
    Athens Owl 16.8g 22x6-5mm Late Classical 393-300 BC, Sear 2537, SNG Cop. 63

upload_2020-7-9_13-23-34.png
    Athens Owl AR Tet 17.4g 20.4mm x 7.5mm Late Classical 393-300 BC, Sear 2537, SNG Cop. 63 edge-crud

upload_2020-7-9_13-24-20.png
    Athens Owl AR Tet 17.2g 22mm x 6.7mm thick Late Classical 393-300 BC, Sear 2537, SNG Cop. 63

Last edited: Jul 9, 2020
    Bing, robinjojo, NewStyleKing and 2 others like this.
  12. robinjojo

robinjojo Well-Known Member

Nice coins at a very good price.

Alegandron likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted