Final straw for eBay selling...

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by stldanceartist, Aug 7, 2011.

1. stldanceartist

stldanceartist Minister of Silly Walks

So, apparently now eBay thinks it is okay to require me to list a credit card and give them full access to charge it if they deem it necessary? This, in addition to requiring me to use PayPal...along with all the other negatives of selling (like never getting appropriate defense in the event of a dispute between you and a buyer.)

I apologize to those of you who might enjoy this service - but it appears I'm going to be using the CoinTalk selling forums along with Craigslist to sell any coins I want to sell. This is just the one ridiculous final straw...

To any of you who have bid on my auctions, I will absolutely continue to honor a fair transaction between the two of us. But this I just cannot justify.

Love to hear your thoughts on this.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

Well, for one, PayPal never has been, is not and likely never will be required. It is undoubtedly the most convenient for a small dealer, but not the only.

4. stldanceartist

Sorry to disagree with you, but from what I can see I am only allowed to accept paypal as form of payment. I am specifically prohibited from mentioning in my ad that I can accept checks or money orders. Just read it less than a week ago.

5. mark_h

mark_h Somewhere over the rainbow

I thought all sellers on ebay were required to accept paypal. Is that no true?

6. jloring

jloring Senior Citizen

Per eBay's policy:

For most categories, sellers need to offer one or more of the following electronic payment choices:
    • PayPal
    • ProPay
    • Moneybookers
    • Paymate
    • Credit card or debit card processed through the seller's Internet merchant account
    Additionally, payment upon pickup and Bill Me Later are valid payment methods as well.

7. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

I am glad to see someone else actually reads their rules. TY

8. LindeDad

LindeDad His Walker.

Have fun on Criags list only way I would list there is if they would meet at the police station and I had a concealed carry permit.

Been using PayPal since they came out and never lost a cent with their protection can't even say the same for checks had two of them bounce and they cost me about twenty buck each.

9. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Well-Known Member

You don`t have to accept Paypal if you list on eBay.ca

I list on eBay.uk and although I accept Paypal, I can say I accept Cheques, money orders and direct bank transfers.
    I get regular cash electronic bank transfers from Germany in € to £ and with no charges.
    I also receive registered envelopes with cash from the US and sometimes Middle East.

10. protovdo

protovdo Resident Whippersnapper

I was given a warning for offering "Money Order" as a method of payment. If I didn't delete it they were going to delete my posting.

11. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

MO's are not an acceptable method of payment for most listings. However, there are still alternatives to PayPal.

12. saltysam-1

saltysam-1 Junior Member

Do they want access to your credit card because they can make a charge back to you if you don't have enough money to cover it in your PayPal account? If not, whats their reasoning?

13. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

This seems like an EXCELLENT application for a "virtual credit card number". My Citi MasterCard lets me set them up, and it was one of the major advantages that led me to apply for that card.

I can get Citi to generate as many card numbers as I want with any charge limit I set (up to, I suppose, my normal credit limit), and any expiration from one month to one year ahead. I use it all the time for online purchases from unfamiliar (or even familiar) merchants -- I just set up a virtual number, give it a one-month expiration and a limit a few bucks over my purchase amount, and check out as usual.

So, if eBay insists on a credit card number, I'll be happy to give them one, good for a full year, with a $1 limit.

14. jloring

jloring Senior Citizen

Well, eBay says they need a credit card to verify seller identity:

[TABLE="class: expandShrinkList"]

[TD="class: graphic-numeric"]1. [/TD]
    [TD="class: largeNumContent"]Verify your identity. To help us provide a safe environment for the eBay community, you need to provide credit card or debit card information. In some cases, you'll also need to provide your checking account information. Your personal information is protected by eBay's Privacy Policy and encrypted by industry-standard SSL technology.

Verify your identity with your credit card information
    Your card won't be charged unless you authorize eBay to use it to pay your seller fees, which are charged only when you list or sell items.

To ensure your card is accepted:
    • Make sure your credit card number is correct.
    • Check your address—it must match the billing address on your monthly statement.
    • Verify that your account has been activated.
    • Make sure your credit card or debit card account is in good standing.
    • Make sure your account doesn't have an Internet or phone order block.
    • For debit cards, use only those with Visa or MasterCard logos.

[/TD]
    [/TABLE]

15. imrich

imrich Supporter! Supporter

A Duplicate Response!!

"The following is a quoted response by eBay to a Class Action lawsuit, filed in Detroit alleging eBay mandatory practices precluding other forms of payment through numerous actions. EBay with its' normal defiant attitude reportedly failed to properly acknowledge and respond in a timely fashion. EBay requested and justified an extension with the hereaftermentioned statement. I realize that your stated knowledge is more complete than that of the eBay legal team, but I'm submitting this eBay quote for your digestion, as reported: By Geoffrey A. Fowler in the Wall Street Journal

EBay has said "the move to make PayPal mandatory helps to improve the safety and reliability of selling on its marketplace." Yet critics have complained that forcing sellers to use PayPal is just another way for the company to charge additional fees and pad its bottom line."

The aforequoted is a duplicate to the response I posted in rebutal to your 8/12/10 posted statement (post #60, http://www.cointalk.com/t123039-4/ ), quote: "eBay has never and will never mandate PayPal for payments."

I believe you'll find that eBay has allowed specific other mandated internet payment methods which are precluded as viable options upon thorough investigation, fulfilling their court filed stated mandatory PayPal payment requirement for the type of auctions discussed in this thread.

Rich :rollling:

16. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

They want something to be able to hold up your funds if you do not deliver the goods or send counterfeits etc. That is what happens when so many sellers were doing just that. There were multiple of people who have been prosecuted for just that and many times as many who were too small a potato for eBay to pursue.

17. SNDMN59

SNDMN59 New Member

I buy alot on E - but use only postal money orders
    If i see something i'm interested in I watch the item e-mail the seller and ask them if they will accept a postal money order?
    I make a comment to check my feedback, I have a saved file of 23 dealers at this time that say they will gladly accept a postal money order.
    Then on notes on favorite sellers I enter the mailing address
    I have only been turned down twice.
    I think it is how bad a dealer wants business.
    Sandy

18. saltysam-1

saltysam-1 Junior Member

So then it's not for just identity purposes as previously said.

19. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

I am sure that it is not.

20. stldanceartist

Hello again...just got back from a friends' house and read all the great responses to this thread. Always glad to learn more about the ins and outs of the entire process - and so far I've gotten some good information.

My main issue with this is that I already have a verified PayPal account that was linked to a bank account...and yet eBay is now prompting me for a credit card number? Plus, they get to make charges to it when they feel like it? No, I don't think so. I've always been a stand up, honest seller (and buyer) and I feel this is absolutely unnecessary. I plan to contact eBay this week to find out if this is a real requirement to sell items - because, for me, it will be a deal-breaker. I keep a tight rein on my accounts and I don't want a single other person in this world to have the right to make an unauthorized charge to it for any reason, much less a corporation like eBay. This is like giving them your bank account number and PIN and saying, "Yeah, do whatever you need to." RIGHT.

So, a quick question, because it's highly possible I've misunderstood the Seller Payments policy: Am I allowed to use "Bill Me Later" as the option that allows me to accept USPS Postal Money Orders (which would be the only other form of payment I would accept, btw?) I'm not quite sure how to go about it - and you're right, I did get threatened with listing removal by mentioning that I would accept money orders as payment. So at best there are mixed messages being thrown about by eBay.

Thanks!

21. jloring

jloring Senior Citizen

Here's the entire list of the options that buyers may choose to pay:

http://pages.ebay.com/help/pay/methods.html

You'll notice that 'Bill Me Later' is just PayPal extending a buyer credit... the seller still receives payment immediately through PayPal. While it is true that you cannot mention (in your auction) that you will accept checks or M.O.'s, you may offer that option in an email to the buyer after the auctions is complete. I've had buyers email me during an auction and ask if I will accept check.

As far as the CC, I've never had an unauthorized charge placed against it. I also have my PP account linked to my bank account, and as a buyer, funds come directly out of my bank account if my PP account is zero.

Draft saved Draft deleted