Favorite 90% coin for stacking

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by tibor, Jul 8, 2019.

1. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

I loved them all for years. Now I am leaning toward the dollars due to space constraints..... Wife says if I buy a third safe that me and my three safes will move to the garage.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Ana Silverbell

Ana Silverbell Well-Known Member

I agree with Two Dogs. I like the '64 JFK halves the best for stacking. Second, pre-65, common date Washington quarters. Both of these can be purchased at good prices and they have the least wear.

Then I like Franklins, and finally Mercury dimes.

My least favorite is the Walking halves. They are light weight because of the heavy circulation. Franklin dimes-never. Don't want coins with the visage of the man who illegally outlawed private ownership of gold in this country.

yakpoo, Legomaster1 and Two Dogs like this.
  4. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

The only silver I've bought in a long time is (a) silver I find below melt or (b) cherry-picking attempts.

If I see, say, a lot of Barber dimes with some higher-grade ones showing, I'll often take a chance even somewhat above melt. I'm not talking about the bidiot-bait carefully-assembled eBay "unsearched lots", although I bought my share of those when I was learning -- I'm talking about poorly-photographed lots from eBay sellers whose usual line of business is non-coin-related, or newly-arrived piles at the local pawnshop.

But then again, I guess I'm not actually a stacker, so I should probably go bother other threads. :rolleyes:

Stevearino and Randy Abercrombie like this.
  5. RICHARD K

RICHARD K MISTY & SASHA

I personally like JFK'S hardly any wear and always are in almost uncirculated condition. Most people knew about the silver content in coins was to be diminished and started to hoard, so now there cashing in and they usually are in real nice shape

Two Dogs and Randy Abercrombie like this.
  6. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Yeah, I get hopelessly bored with piles of shiny 1964 halves/quarters/dimes, but they do generally have their full weight. Older coins don't, especially older dimes, but also quarters and (very old/slick) halves.

As I've said before, I prefer to buy newer coins by multiples of face value and older coins by weight, and I prefer to do the opposite when I sell.

Two Dogs likes this.
  7. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Time to start making room in that garage Randy. Open the doors and hold a garage sale while it's warm. LOL

8. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

I can get Morgan's and Peace for the same price but one dealer in my area is charging a premium for Morgans.

9. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

I like Walker halves, but recently I bought three rolls of average circ Merc dimes from APMEX (gonna make custom elongated coins out of them).

I was somewhat surprised to find 47 different date-and-mint combinations in those 150 pieces, when I had been expecting nearly all to be from the 1940s.

So I picked up a cheap Whitman folder and kept the best of each date I could find.

Recently bought some .800 fine Canadian dimes, too, since I got 'em for melt.

10. Don P

Don P Active Member

Basically, my favorite 90% silver is the one I can get the best price for! :)

I prefer the '64 Kennedy or Walkers, but stay away from Franklin halves. Just from observations at coin shows, I see Frankins not being purchased very often.

For my own stacking, I sold all of my 90% and 40% silver and mainly focus on ASEs....for many reasons:
    - They're extremely popular and there has always been a strong market for them. I can go to any show or any LCS if I absolutely needed to sell and get cash for them.
    - yes, there is a markup on spot, but you will get the markup back when you sell them to individuals. I just make a note to try and not pay over $2 spot for ASEs.
    - Most coins are still in uncirculated condition, so there are bullion buyers and also collector buyers which opens your marketplace.

I guess stick to what you know and what you like. That way if you're stuck with the coins for a while, there is little heartache.

tibor likes this.
  11. FryDaddyJr

FryDaddyJr Junior Member

you aren't buying enough silver for it to matter

12. yakpoo

yakpoo Member

I like 1964 Peace Dollars. Tough to find, though.

13. tibor

tibor Supporter! Supporter

I found two in the CoinStar reject cup about three weeks ago.
    You might have the same luck.

Draft saved Draft deleted