Family Members who Want to Give you Coin Gifts

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by physics-fan3.14, Oct 10, 2015.

1. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

How do you deal with Family Members (or friends) who want to give you coin-related gifts?

This thread was prompted by a tangent in another thread (about a rahp-ing company). We always appreciate when our friends and family get excited about our hobby. And who doesn't like gifts? I'm sure many of us have a story about a family member who got suckered while attempting to buy us a gift. While I appreciate the thought, I still don't want to see them get rahp'ed.

So, what I've done is ask them to avoid buying me coins, and instead get me a new book. On my Christmas list, I put a couple of coin books on there - they get to support me in my hobby, and I get coin stuff that I need/want. And they don't wind up buying a coin that's cleaned or polished or overpriced. It's a win-win for everyone.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. doug444

doug444 STAMPS and POSTCARDS too!

Fine idea, and bottom line, preserves your capital to buy Coins. Plus the grateful follow-through, months later, when you can tell them "I found this coin, or this variety, thanks to your book..."

Endeavor and spirityoda like this.
  4. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

I tell them the coin I want, with all specifics, give them the info., phone numbers, web site, who to call, etc. I usually get or come close to what I want. Sometimes I pick out a nice graded coin that I don't need for my collection but I know will be nice to have. I'm always happy with whatever they give me. It beats another shirt. :)

green18 and spirityoda like this.
  5. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

I had mentioned to my wife a Coin World subscription.

green18, Jdiablo30 and tulipone like this.
  6. tulipone

tulipone Well-Known Member

I hint every year that a sub to Coin News would be useful. Every year it falls on deaf ears.

Endeavor, Jwt708 and micbraun like this.
  7. chip

chip Novice collector

Bless them, both my daughters and my son have bought the old man a coin related gift, I just thank them and let my better half know that underwear and socks are always used.

8. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

I was often given coin gifts by parents, but they knew to go to my normal dealer and ask if he had anything on my want list. He's a good honest dealer with fair prices so I never discouraged them from doing it. If they were ordering coins blindly, I would have asked them to stop doing it for fear that they could be taken advantage of.

green18 likes this.
  9. ken454

ken454 Well-Known Member

translate to english please.....

10. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

Sound it out, not really a word that I like to use.

11. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

Haha, I took it from the other thread. It means "Rather absurdly high priced" but definitely has the implication of the other sound. Here's the other thread: https://www.cointalk.com/threads/another-rahping-company-aka-pcs.269213/

ken454 likes this.
  12. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

Ahh... Alright.

13. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

If you hunt around a bit, you may find that some dealers offer gift certificates.

14. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

It's that Tea House guy from the 7th moon......or something like that.

bdunnse likes this.
  15. red_spork

red_spork Triumvir monetalis

I've asked for Vcoins gift cards before, and I've also just given my dad a list of coins I liked from dealers I had worked with before and let him choose. Both worked out quite well.

16. charlietig

charlietig Well-Known Member

I had the same thing happen with my grandmother. Eventually I told her simply to save her money and let me buy my coins, she may give me her money to purchase for holidays, etc... but that's her choice.

17. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

So far I have received two nice coin gifts from my sister. She passes by The Philadelphia Mint on her drive to New York from where she lives (Lancaster Penn) so I told her what to get me next time! :woot:
    These were her gifts to me -
    gift1.jpg gift2.jpg gift3.jpg

green18, phankins11 and Jwt708 like this.
  18. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

I don't have a subscription to Coin World...

19. tulipone

tulipone Well-Known Member

I do have a subscription to Coin News. Yay!

20. littlehugger

littlehugger Active Member

I realize that family members might buy highly advertised stuff, such as limited edition, gold plated State Quarters. But......
    If any of you don't like what they got you, you can forward the coins to me. Cant beat the cost.

21. Rassi

Rassi #GoCubs #FlyTheW #WeAreGood

My brother spurred my coin collecting hobby. He started out by giving me the Proof set (later the silver proof set) for Christmas, and the year's Silver Eagle proof for my birthday (they're close together). Now I get these from him every year.

Jwt708 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted