Fake gold bullion bar beware

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by silver surfer, Oct 31, 2010.

1. silver surfer

silver surfer Senior Member

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. jloring

jloring Senior Citizen

Why? It's listed in the replica category and marked "replica".

4. silver surfer

Why? because it's obvious there is no other purpose for that bar than to scam somebody else down the line and E-bay knows it.
    What their doing is unethical if not illegal,ask the person who ends up paying $1400
    for 50 cents worth of metal.

5. fools_gold

fools_gold Junior Member

I don't see anything wrong with it. It's asking $12.50 for it. Anyone that has any common sense would know it's not the real thing. Plus the seller is clearly stating it's a replica.
    Now, about someone buying it, and then selling it as real, there's nothing stopping anyone from thievery. So buyer beware and purchase from reputable dealers!!

6. silver surfer

It's Fraud,there using the cerdit suisse name and a fake serial #,in other word counterfeit.
    I know buyer be ware and all that but what about ethics anymore dosen't that count for anything ? geez

7. CoinKeeper

CoinKeeper Keeper of Coins

Well, there's a huge replica stamp on the back of the bar so how could anyone pass it off as the real thing? As long as it says "replica" or "copy" it's perfectly legal.

8. gboulton

gboulton 7070 56.98 pct complete

Come on, really? Do you guys hear what you're saying? You want it to be illegal for EBay to let someone sell a CLEARLY LABELED, ACCURATELY PRESENTED, LEGALLY MARKED replica, because 'someone" down the road MIGHT try to pass it off as the real thing??

What a sad, sad world when we expect the government to protect us from the possibility that someone, some day, might try to defraud someone else.

9. fools_gold

fools_gold Junior Member

I don't know what the legal challenges are of selling a product that uses another companies name but also labeling it as a replica. So from the sake of technicality, I see no problem with Credit Suisse going after this kind of business, from a technicallity standpoint.

But other than that, I personally just don't buy gold/silver from eBay. No matter how reputable a seller may be. I just don't think it's worth the chances. I'll stick with real brick and mortar shops....

10. Cringely

Cringely Active Member

Unless Credit Suisse has a registered trademark, marking the bar as a replica may be "legal".
    Selling a Luis Vitton replica handbag violates the Vitton trademark and, if the powers that be become aware of it, there will be legal consequences.

Of course, checking the density of the bar will tell you if it is gold (or gold plated tungsten).

11. coleguy

coleguy Coin Collector

I'd be extremely surprised if CS didn't have corporate trademarking on their name seeing as their a widely known and respected institution world-wide. Aside from that obvious sketchyness with this piece, I have to agree with what someone else already said. What other purpose is there to a replica gold bar that to possibly scan someone? That part reading replica is raised and can be easily removed. You've got to be kidding if you think there is any other reason for making these things. If not, in essense, you're part of the recent problem with counterfeit and shady coins flooding the current market.
    Guy

12. weryon

weryon World traveler - In Thailand

Luis Vitton , really now !?.....on a side note you guys worry way too much ...

13. Cringely

Cringely Active Member

I chose Vitton as it was the first fashion related (Hey, I have a wife) brand that popped into mind. Rolex watches are another area of counterfeiting that you ofter hear of where Customs or some other agency is involved in busting up a counterfeiting ring.
    Oh, if only the Secret Service was as diligent in busting Chinese coin counterfeiters.

14. silver surfer

To be honest i didn't notice that the bar was stamped replica lol,still i think there is something rather shady going on .As someone pointed out it could be altered rather easily..

15. silver surfer

Me too brick and mortar all the way

16. Hobo

Hobo Squirrel Hater

I can think of a few legitimate uses for a replica gold bar. To name a few the replica bars could be used:

In a display.
    As a stage prop.
    In a demonstration (e.g., in a class).

17. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

Another "Bar Scam" my question is the word replica found anywhere on the front?
    And based on that picture it,s not! sound,s suspect at best!

18. KennyMac

KennyMac 82nd Airborne Division

If you look at his e-bay store, you will see that he apparently sells nothing but replicas.
    Coins, Bars, Nuggets, etc....in every ad he states that they are replicas, and from what I can see, almost everything IS stamped replica.....almost.

19. Wiley-X

Wiley-X New Member

Why would anyone want one of these?

20. jloring

jloring Senior Citizen

There are plenty of replica bars being sold by reputable companies, and are marked as such. I don't believe these items are covered under the HPA, and even if they were the marking may be on either the obverse or reverse. However, the marking must be incused, and the term "replica" is not acceptable (only "copy"). I'm OK with this seller, and as previously stated, you guys worry too much.

21. jloring

jloring Senior Citizen

Oh, I don't know... use it as paper weight and impress your co-workers?

Draft saved Draft deleted