Fake 1oz Perth Mint?

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by Seattlite86, Jul 12, 2021.

1. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

I've got my suspicions of this online listing for a 1oz bar. Would anyone care to weigh in that knows these well? My concerns are the off color and inelegant swan head that seems to touch its body when it shouldn't. I appreciate your input.

Screenshot_20210712-051317_Facebook.jpg Screenshot_20210712-051306_Facebook.jpg

john65999, capthank and Chris Winkler like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. *coins

*coins Well-Known Member

The fact that the serial number isn't very straight bothers me. I am not an expert on these though and that's the only thing that stood out to me.

capthank, Hiwatt and Seattlite86 like this.
  4. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

Contact the Perth Mint and check the serial number against their records. Good luck

rte, capthank and Chris Winkler like this.
  5. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

Shouldn't the serial number appear on the bar itself? I don't purchase bullion, so have no clue.

6. Hiwatt

Hiwatt Coffee break

7. Hiwatt

Hiwatt Coffee break

fretboard likes this.
  8. capthank

capthank Well-Known Member

Yes do that and let us know. Thanks

9. 1865King

1865King Well-Known Member

This is why I don't like bars. Silver or Gold. I have a friend asked me to look at a number of silver bars his brother in law had. Out the 5 bars one was an obvious fake and one was a very good fake. Coins can be counterfeited just as easily but, coins do tend to get looked at more carefully than bars. Packaging is extremely easy to fake.

10. capthank

capthank Well-Known Member

Buyer beware!

11. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

That 7 in the serial number is scary enough and the packaging itself sucks! :D Personally, I would never buy a gold bar over 5 or 10 grams, and as far as Perth Mint goes, I just wouldn't! :cigar:

12. FryDaddyJr

FryDaddyJr Junior Member

I don't see any reason to buy one ounce gold bars at all when AGE, Buffalos and maples are available

Jeffjay likes this.
  13. kn0

kn0 New Member

I have a few RCM bars that have serial number scratched in by hand; they stamp them at the refineries directly so who knows. measure it width height length, multiply to get volume and then google how much should that brick weight if it was 99.99% gold by volume, ghag will give you an idea

14. Heavymetal

Heavymetal Well-Known Member

Worth its weight in ??

15. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

just check it out with the horses mouth (Perth) you can only speculate at this point
    easier take it to any gold and silver shop and they can analyze it for you.

16. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

And then realize that it will weigh almost exactly the same if its core is tungsten instead of gold.

Seattlite86, midas1 and Heavymetal like this.
  17. Seattlite86

Hey Folks,

In a follow up, it turned out to be fake. This website is the one that really helped me nail it down: https://www.fakebullion.com/index.p...int-5-gram-gold-bar-in-black-assay-card-gen-3

This purchase came from someone I had done a few smooth transactions with, and did not suspect they would intentionally sell a fake. I had already paid, but I had used PayPal Goods and Services, which is the only form of payment I recommend anyone use online. The seller refunded my money when I shared the site, but PayPal would have refunded me just the same. So this is a lesson for me, to be more careful and do my research. Even a few good transactions could be a setup for a later scam. Definitely stick to PayPal G&S when you buy online.

Thank you Everyone, for your input!

john65999, midas1 and -jeffB like this.
  18. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

It's hard for me to map your photos above to the page you linked. Can you share more about how you determined you got a counterfeit? Did you get it X-ray analyzed, or weigh it?

Seattlite86 likes this.
  19. Seattlite86

Apologies. I posted the wrong link. It was the kangaroo tail bleeding into the edge that gave it away. The tail has a bit of a bulb, which indicates it is fake. I asked the seller not to even send it. They claimed to have gone back to the reputable store they bought it from, with receipt for a refund.

https://www.fakebullion.com/index.p...nt-1-ounce-gold-bar-in-black-assay-card-gen-3

[​IMG]

20. john65999

john65999 Well-Known Member

i have come across 1 0z silver bars, and 1 oz fake american eagles, both were encapsulated in plastic

Draft saved Draft deleted