Fake 1922 $10?

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by scotts1, Sep 21, 2020.

1. scotts1

scotts1 Well-Known Member

Last year, I posted a question about a silver certificate "inverted back" error that I noticed seemed to be "2-ply", as if someone had glued two notes together to create a fake error. The consensus was that it was altered, so I took it to a dealer in person who agreed it was a fake error. Last week, I was browsing Ebay and decided to bid on this worn out 1922 $10 because I didn't have one, so why not? Today it arrived and I was stunned to see it appears to have the exact same effect! Were we all wrong before and this is normal? Is this some kind of counterfeiting technique? Or is somebody out there gluing together otherwise authentic notes as a prank? If this isn't a natural occurrence, then I'm in utter disbelief that I received two completely different notes altered in the same painstaking way from unrelated sellers. Thoughts?
    img20200921_18443468.jpg

img20200921_18501720.jpg

DSCF1690.JPG
    DSCF1691.JPG
    DSCF1692.2.jpg

My previous note: https://www.cointalk.com/threads/1935-1-silver-certificate-inverted-back-error.336491/

Last edited: Sep 21, 2020
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Bradley Trotter

Bradley Trotter Well-Known Member

In my opinion, I don't think your note is fake even after looking at your other thread. The 1922 $10 gold certificate is a relatively common note for the most part. Not to mention, yours has been circulated extensively. The lack of fine detail in the U.S. Treasury seal makes me believe it had been stored in a moist and humid environment. This possible explanation could explain the overall condition and the splits in the margins.

Your thoughts @scotts1?

midas1 likes this.
  4. midas1

midas1 Exalted Member

5. scotts1

scotts1 Well-Known Member

I don't see anything other than the splitting that would make me suspect it's fake. Like you said, it's not a really high-value note so why make a copy in such poor condition? Unless it's a contemporary counterfeit.

As someone in the other thread mentioned, it could be two notes put together. I think it's way more likely someone did that rather than literally split the note along the edge.

midas1 likes this.
  6. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Seems like I remember people splitting a $1 and a $100 and sticking the four together to make two $100 (depending on how you look at it).

7. midas1

midas1 Exalted Member

I vaguely remember that too but not the details. CT is a hotbed of information I suspect someone will respond w/ details.

Kentucky likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted