1935 $1 Silver Certificate Inverted Back Error

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by scotts1, Apr 6, 2019.

1. scotts1

scotts1 Well-Known Member

I was so excited to find one of these at one of my local coin shows, but when I got home and went to put it in a better holder, I realized that it appeared to be splitting along the edge. Is it even physically possible to fake something like this or am I just being paranoid? Nothing else about it seems amiss, so I'm inclined to think (and certainly hope) it's just wear and tear but I know there are a lot of fakes/alterations out there.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. SteveInTampa

SteveInTampa Always Learning

I believe I’ve seen this before.

Note is in terrible shape. I know inverted backs are a popular error, but I might have waited for a nicer example.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2019
    midas1 and Penna_Boy like this.
  4. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Splitting currency? Something seems fishy about it. I never heard of 2-ply currency.

midas1, Brina, Stevearino and 2 others like this.
  5. Penna_Boy

Penna_Boy Just a nobody from the past

I'm no expert but that split would concern me. Hope it works out for you.

6. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

I wish i could say say that was a keeper :(

7. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

I've seen one other note like this years ago. Yours is in terrible shape. You should have waited for a better one.

If you can split the entire note then will will have a two fer. One half will have the front of the bill and the other half the back. LOL Please don't try this, the bill has suffered enough.

8. NOS

NOS Former Coin Hoarder

Given the paper splitting issue and the note's overall poor condition, I am inclined to believe that you may have a contemporary forgery and alteration. Say someone in the late 1950's thinned off the sides of the front and backs of two $1 notes, inverted one side, glued them together and aged them so the front and back sides would look similar in terms of wear. Now 60 years later after the deed was done, the adhesive used is drying up and the two halves are starting to separate after their long union together.

So, if the note is in fact a forgery the note has some novelty value at the very least as contemporary forgeries such as these (if this is in fact what it is) don't turn up everyday or anything.

Brina and Stevearino like this.
  9. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

To me, it looks suspiciously like someone split the note and reattached it and as NOS says, the adhesive is giving up due to age. I hope you didn't pay much for it.

Brina likes this.
  10. scotts1

scotts1 Well-Known Member

Fortunately I didn't pay that much for it. I will have it looked at by someone in person the next time I go to a coin show. That sounds like an awful lot of trouble to go through to make a fake error, but I guess people will do anything. Thanks for the opinions.

Stevearino likes this.
  11. NOS

NOS Former Coin Hoarder

It is by today's standards but it's important to look at this through context. Today people are used to putting minimal effort into such kinds of dubious endeavors due to scanners, copiers and Photoshop-type programs.

Well, back in the day there were no fancy computers to use or anything like that so would-be forgers would have to be fairly dedicated and skilled if they wanted to pull one over on people. Viewing the likely forgery or alteration through this lens makes the note all the more interesting when one thinks about it.

Stevearino likes this.
  12. Tlberg

Tlberg Well-Known Member

Possibly silly thought, but if its 2 bills wouldn't you be able to see that by shining a light through it? Or weighing it vs a normal bill?

13. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

I don't think it's 2 bills if it was peeled apart and the reverse glued back on upside down. So it would weigh the same. 1 gram.

I didn't think about it being separated until I read the other post. (Mountain)

Tlberg likes this.
  14. kanga

kanga 65 Year Collector

I know notes used to be able to be split.
    I've seen it done.
    And if I know then there are others that know also.

So someone could have split the note, reversed the orientation of the back, and put it back together.
    I STRONGLY suspect it's an altered item.

Stevearino likes this.
  15. Nyatii

Nyatii I like running w/scissors. Makes me feel dangerous

I have an older cousin who used to spend hours doing stupid things like filing a penny down in order to get a 10 cent pop.

He spent hours/days splitting a $1 and $10 dollar bill in order to paste them together to have $20. Not sure what he did with them.

I think he came from the other side of the family.

16. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

17. Tlberg

Tlberg Well-Known Member

18. midas1

midas1 Exalted Member

I wonder how they split the bill?

Draft saved Draft deleted